Steven Adler from Peru: "I'm GNR's drummer, nobody knows the current drummer"

This is a new Steven Adler interview released today. He's currently touring in Peru with his band: http://peru21.pe/espectaculos/steven-adler-ex-baterista-guns-n-roses-ya-no-existe-rock-n-roll-actualidad-2223644

He said some interesting things. He's been sober for 40 months. In his opinion, rock'n'roll music is dead, the last great bands were GNR and Nirvana. He also said that he's still being recognized in the streets because of his role in Guns N'Roses and that nobody knows the current GNR drummer...

He's right about one thing, nobody knows the current GnR drummer outside GnR forums.

But nobody knows who Steven Adler is outside GnR forums either.

• Like 1

This is a new Steven Adler interview released today. He's currently touring in Peru with his band: http://peru21.pe/espectaculos/steven-adler-ex-baterista-guns-n-roses-ya-no-existe-rock-n-roll-actualidad-2223644

He said some interesting things. He's been sober for 40 months. In his opinion, rock'n'roll music is dead, the last great bands were GNR and Nirvana. He also said that he's still being recognized in the streets because of his role in Guns N'Roses and that nobody knows the current GNR drummer...

He's right about one thing, nobody knows the current GnR drummer outside GnR forums.

Steven does have a better and a bigger fan base than Frank when it comes to the name Guns N' Roses.

Steven does have a better and a bigger fan base than Frank when it comes to the name Guns N' Roses.

Go ahead. When you're in school or at work, ask the average person who Steven Adler is. Unless they're big GnR fans, they'll all give you the same answer. "Who?"

I like Steven, don't get me wrong. But let's be realistic here. In his defence, none of those people would know Joey Kramer either. Or Phill Rudd. Or Roger Taylor. Or Nick Mason. Just to name a few. Hell, I would be surprised if most people knew who Ringo Starr or Charlie Watts are. A lot of people have no idea who are in classic rock bands other than the face of the band. Aka Mick, Keith, Axl, Slash, Angus, etc. And drummers are probably the least known of the bunch.

Go ahead. When you're in school or at work, ask the average person who Steven Adler is. Unless they're big GnR fans, they'll all give you the same answer. "Who?"

I like Steven, don't get me wrong. But let's be realistic here. In his defence, none of those people would know Joey Kramer either. Or Phill Rudd. Or Roger Taylor. Or Nick Mason. Just to name a few. Hell, I would be surprised if most people knew who Ringo Starr or Charlie Watts are. A lot of people have no idea who are in classic rock bands other than the face of the band. Aka Mick, Keith, Axl, Slash, Angus, etc. And drummers are probably the least known of the bunch.

I know what you are saying and it is sad but its true that the situation is like this now, there are some GNR "Fans" and they don't even know who Axl or Slash are. Today people know Justin Bieber or Kim Kardashian but they hardly have any idea about the Legendary Paul McCartney.

There are plenty of good rock bands out there.

Name some, I seriously need new music. Everything I listen to is from the 2000's or older (no bands release any hard rock music (with the exception of foo fighters last album) or at least none that are popular enough to get recognized)

The only caveat I will provide is that I am more about the attitude and the lyrics than I am about having a traditional 'rock sound'. Here are 3 artists I am listening to who are active at the moment who I love:

Turnstile - Hardcore band from Maryland. Live shows are out of control. Great young band that are a throwback to Youth of Today, Shutdown and other old school hardcore bands. Here is their full album https://youtu.be/-UJlBwq95Uw

Death Grips - Experimental indie punk rock rap group. Seriously you cannot label them. I am obsessed with them right now. Talk about an out of control live show. I saw them a few weeks back at a sold out show at Webster Hall in NYC (the Ritz for you GNR fans) and it was crazy. If I had to compare them to anyone, I'd say they are like Nine Inch Nails with a psychotic rapper who screams. Here is a recent music video they made https://youtu.be/MJ2Oj57OJYA

Leon Bridges - Throwback to 50's style music. Holy hell this guy is awesome. This guy has more soul than anyone I've listened to in the past 20 years. So talented and just released his debut album. This guy is going to be big. He has a sold out show coming up at Webster Hall in NYC. Here is one of his new music videos https://youtu.be/MTrKkqE9p1o

The Dirty Pearls - These guys are the only traditional rock/punk group on this list (and I forgot to add them originally). They are from NYC and have a pretty loyal following. Here is a video from them: https://youtu.be/RjH_Ik4nLIw

Edited by WAR41

This story is on Blabbermouth now: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/steven-adler-nobody-knows-the-name-of-the-current-guns-n-roses-drummer/

ADLER, the band led by former GUNS N' ROSES drummer Steven Adler, was interviewed by Perú21 prior to its July 23 concert in Lima, Peru. You can now watch the chat below.

Asked how he feels about the fact that most people remember him as the "one and only" drummer of GUNS N' ROSES, Adler replied: [it's] 'cause I am." He added: "Do you know the name of the drummer who's in GUNS N' ROSES now? See, neither do I. Nobody knows. I only found out [fellow former GUNS N' ROSES drummer] Matt Sorum's name last week, 'cause he called me up. [Laughs] I'm kidding. I love you, Matt."

Adler also spoke about GUNS N' ROSES' reputation as a hard-partying band which fully embraced the "sex, drugs and rock and roll" clichés of the 1980s. He said: "It was a lifestyle. Because when we were growing up, the bands that we looked up to and that we loved, that's what they did. They didn't have 'Behind The Music' [television specials], like they have now, where you hear the musicians that we grew up with saying how they missed shows, how they were sick, [about] all the rehabs they had to go in. It was kind of something that, 'Hey, if you wanna be a rock star, that's what you do.' But it was a complete misconception, because rock and roll is so much more fun and exciting when you're all there [points to his head]. But, at first, when you're young, you're a teenager, you're shy, you're trying to find yourself and figure out who you are as a person, and you wanna fit in, and you have a couple of drinks, and, all of a sudden, you can talk to girls. But that's where it gets you. At first, it's, like, 'Oh, I can talk to girls. I can be sociable.' But then it gets ahold of you and it completely takes over your life and it's just a waste of time. I wasted twenty years doing that, and I wish I could get that time back, but I can't. The only thing I can do is live for today the best that I can."

Edited by IZZYISGNR

Yeah Steven, your playing on the studio version of Patience was stellar!You were GNR.

Seriously, I like what he did on Appetite, but every interview he gives is as cringeworthy as Ashba's SCOM intro.

• Like 1