Satanic Baphomet statue unvealed in Detroit

Bumblefeet

From what I'v seen of his he was like a little fat guy too. Then again i dont suppose you need to be athletic to belt a ball into next tuesday.

That's true. That's the thing about baseball, they are not always the most athletic of athletes, at least in the traditional sense.

I'll say this about Michael Jordan, to help put him in perspective. He was like the Ali of basketball (minus the social aspects of course, just athletically speaking). You can argue that Joe Louis accomplished more in the ring than Ali did, and you can argue that Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain were just as accomplished as Jordan was. But what really separates him from the pack was his big game performances. Just like Ali. The bigger the stakes, the greater they were. But Ali does have that one loss to Joe Frazier, but Jordan on the other hand, when he became champ, nobody beat him. 6-0 for the championship.

Its very difficult for me to add anything in defence of Ali (which is my fuckin' spontaeneous reaction :lol:) cuz i really don't understand basketball. I mean i literally don't get how it works, i mean i know you get the ball in the other guys net for points but what don't make sense to me is that depending from where the guys throwing the ball from you get a different amount of points right? before i used to just think it was just get the fuckin' ball in the net and thats 3 points :lol: And also, they keep stopping the shit, don't they? Why do they do that, based on what? i know if a guy gets fouled they get like...the basketball equivalent of a penalty or whatever.

When i was little i wanted to have a go at that shit, like get a basketball net put in in my back garden and my old mans 'why you wanna play that fuckin' girls game for?' :lol: There's really no reference point for basketball over here except as a girls name, netball, which they play at girls schools for PE. What am i gonna do, play with myself, enough of that was goin' on in the bedroom at that point :lol:

Baseball looks difficult as fuck too. Not the rules especially (though i don't get those properly either) but the idea of hitting a ball with a round bat, seems like it'd have to be so precise to make it go anywhere. I've played cricket tons but crickets cool like that cuz you can edge the ball or clip it and the fuckin' thing goes sailing, you don't really have to crack it dead centre everytime...but baseball, with the round bat, I've never tried but it seems like you'd have to be dead on every time to make it go somewhere...and if those balls come at you at anything like the speed fast balls do in cricket (80 mph and all that shit) then it must make it doubley harder. I guess thats why those guys are so top heavy, you must have to REALLY lean into that shit.

Edited by Len B'stard

From what I'v seen of his he was like a little fat guy too. Then again i dont suppose you need to be athletic to belt a ball into next tuesday.

The pictures don't do him justice Len as he was 6 foot 2 inches tall and in his prime weighed 215 lbs so he was not a little fat guy for sure. he only got fat towards the end of his career. In fact he was actually taller then the average player back in the day I believe.

Well the real bare bones definition of basketball is as follows. Their are 2 pointers and 3 pointers. Long shots, behind a certain line are 3 pointers, everything inside of that line is 2 points. Yes you can get fouled, and if you were in the process of shooting the ball, you get 2 "free" shots from the free throw line. Those shots are "free" because they are unguarded. You have to dribble the basketball, you can't just run around holding it, that is called traveling and is a turnover. When you are close to the basket, you can go for a layup or dunk, and in that situation you are allowed to hold the ball for a step and a half, but that's it.

The real difficulty in basketball is in the defense, and getting around the defense. Obviously whoever has the most points wins, so preventing the other team from scoring is a big deal. Whomever has the ball, can not pick the ball up and run around the defense, that would be traveling, and a turnover. So the beauty of the sport is finding legal ways to get by the defense. Which can be done by passing to other players or by dribbeling past the defense. Which that's where a lot of the skill lies. It is also where a lot of the individuals abilities lie. Think about it, the defense has all the advatages, because they can run right up to you and prevent you from moving. The offense can't just knock them over, they have to go around them. That's why players like Michael Jordan were so special, because they were pretty much unstoppable by defense. They had the ability to get by defenses at will. Of course a player can shoot from anywere on the court, but the closet to the basket you are, the easier the shot, hence layups and dunking being so popular. They are essentially the easiest shots, but they are also the hardest to get, because of defense. 3 pointers are the easiest to take, because you can shoot them from anywhere far away, but they are the hardest to make, due to their distance from the basket.

The only thing I know about Babe Ruth is he had a massive appetite for women and food. One of his team mates walked into his hotel room to be greeted by the sight of Ruth rogering a lady while eating a sandwich.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Can you barge people? I mean not really blatantly but i mean if you're in defence just position yourself to knock em over, judge their trajectory and impede it correctly? Sounds like defence would be fun :lol:

To a certain degree, yes. Nowvypu can't just knock a player over, that's a foul, similiar to soccer really. But you can get pretty physical with players, and the refs will allow it. Unless the player has the ball, very similiar to soccer really. If a player has the ball, the refs watch what's going on with them a lot closer. But if they don't have the ball, you can get away with a lot more, except knocking them down. You will get called for a foul every time if you do that

Honestly the basic rules for soccer and basketball are not all that different. Except a lot more scoring in basketball. Also a 3 pointer is similiar to scoring halfway between midfield and the goal.

But as far as defense goes, how defenses are played is actually quite similiar in both sports.

But you dribble in both sports. In soccer you can't pick up the ball and run, and you can't in basketball either.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Can you barge people? I mean not really blatantly but i mean if you're in defence just position yourself to knock em over, judge their trajectory and impede it correctly? Sounds like defence would be fun :lol:

To a certain degree, yes. Nowvypu can't just knock a player over, that's a foul, similiar to soccer really. But you can get pretty physical with players, and the refs will allow it. Unless the player has the ball, very similiar to soccer really. If a player has the ball, the refs watch what's going on with them a lot closer. But if they don't have the ball, you can get away with a lot more, except knocking them down. You will get called for a foul every time if you do that

Honestly the basic rules for soccer and basketball are not all that different. Except a lot more scoring in basketball. Also a 3 pointer is similiar to scoring halfway between midfield and the goal.

But as far as defense goes, how defenses are played is actually quite similiar in both sports.

So whoose like the Barcelona of basketball teams, whoose a good team to watch? I might give this shit a whirl :)

For the record, Joe Louis was badass as fuck, he absolutely should have a kickass statue in the center of the city, I just don't like how the fist looks is all. Its not like I'm mad about it, and truth be told, I'd be sad if it ever got replaced. Its like a part of the city, you know?

We also have a star gate statue by it...

Dies' has filled my head with negative Stalinist imagery about it now, I'll never look at it the same again :lol: Whats hilairious is Magses reaction, if he didn't think it was Joe Louis tribute i wonder what he thought it was, a monument to fisting or something? :lol:

Well all time speaking, the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers are the most successful teams historically. But right now, both teams are not that great, I wouldn't recommend watching them. Even though I'm not a LeBron James fan, I would recommend watching him and the Cleveland Cavaliers next season. The San Antonio Spurs are another great team to watch, they are the best team of the past decade.

A free throw is equiviliant to a penalty kick.

Lots of similiarties really, just a lot more scoring in basketball.

The only thing I know about Babe Ruth is he had a massive appetite for women and food. One of his team mates walked into his hotel room to be greeted by the sight of Ruth rogering a lady while eating a sandwich.

Babe grew up in an orphanage so once he got out and started making some money he lived life to the fullest. But as a result of his childhood he loved children and always spent time with them signing autographs.

To ask for ''concrete scientific evidence'' of religion is to ask the wrong things of religion

But that is actually what you need to do if you want to prove that somethign exists outside of peoples' minds. And if you can't do that, then you acknowledge that it is all just mass fantasies.

But then that is why you have the element of 'faith' (I get the feeling I'm going around in circles here?). To be religious requires a leap of faith into something that is not empirically tested. To ask that religions withstand intensive scientific scrutiny is to miss the point entirely.

Not when those same religions try to impose their beliefs on the rest of us.

Just like you're doing here?

You are still asking the wrong questions of religion Soul. You are requiring a belief based on a faith system to empirically prove itself under laboratory conditions. Scientific evidence would render faith an irrelevancy and since most religions are based on faith, your whole argument rather becomes an academic point. Christians of certain Calvinistic persuasions for instance might argue that faith in Christ awards him/her with the mental faculties required from a true 'elect'.

No, I am not asking the wrong questions of religion. I am pointing out that a god that supposedly interacts with the material world must leave some traces of its existence (because, if not there wouldn't be any interaction), and if it doesn't then what we have is indistinguishable from a world without any such gods. In other words, the likelihood of any gods existing is highly improbable, and at the very least, we can reject most religions because they profess an active god or gods who intercats with the Creation, which we know can't be true, leaving only deism type theisms. This means that 'faith' is the ability to believe in something that is highly implausible. There is nothing more weighty about 'faith' than that, it isn't some special gift that the believers have, and shouldn't at all be considered a show-stopper when we question the validity of the claim that gods exist. If anything, 'faith' is a flaw that the believers share with anyone else who believes in nonsensical things, anyone else who believe in something that other people find delusional due to its glaring absence of evidence. Just as 'faith' doesn't absolve an active god the requirement of it affecting the material world, so doesn't poiting out that someone has 'faith' mean their religious beliefs are anything more rational than anyone else who believes in things for which no evidence exist.

You argue that if there were any objective evidence of gods existence then that would render faith irrelevant, and you are right. This is exactly what I am saying. Irrational belief in gods (=faith), can only exist in the absence of objective evidence. As soon as evidence presented itself, the irrational belief would be replaced by rational trust. But why you are somehow thinking that this excuses theisms from the requirement of substatiating their beliefs, I don't know.

No, I am not asking the wrong questions of religion. I am pointing out that a god that supposedly interacts with the material world must leave some traces of its existence (because, if not there wouldn't be any interaction), and if it doesn't then what we have is indistinguishable from a world without any such gods.

That is not necessarily true though and numerous deistic and pantheistic beliefs render it more untrue. Even in revealed religion, many Christians believe that god intercedes in temporal affairs through human agency (Jesus); until the second coming there is no great reason why god should be seen to be interacting in temporal affairs. Zealous forms of Protestantism believe this world to be a painful ordeal of sin and flesh which is only one stage before reaching the god head. Then, god will be evident, i.e. the true state. In a some what similar, albeit more ascetic, manner Buddhism argues that the temporal is an endless cycle of rebirth; by rejecting 'desire', only then can a state of nirvana be achieved. Shintoism is essentially pantheistic, by which nature is divinity; the Japanese believe that the various islands, mountains, rivers and hot springs of Japan are divine (kami). (You have to remember that Japanese religious practices in their indigenous setting are essentially non-anthropomorphic.) Indigenous American beliefs have similar pantheistic elements (somewhat anecdotal but Neil Young describes his beliefs as a deeply personal form of pantheism).