How much has CD sold as of 2015?

Dunno how many copies it has sold but I am a CD (album) evangelist! Okay, I am a newish fan of GNR and the novelty hasn't worn off but I play that thing every day.

As for singles - it's not really a singles-oriented album, is it? It's more a complete work - or was intended to be. I see it as being like Tilt is to Scott Walker and albums like Outside (David Bowie). Not as popular as the best-known work, a bitout there, but still great in my humble opinion. I LOVE CD. ;)

I've been on CD pretty hardcore for about a half decade now. I own several copies on CD and Vinyl and I have gifted more than a dozen to various people over the years. I mostly always carry a copy with me at all times. I make it a point to listen at least once a week and there are days when I listen to it multiple times. I"m trying to wean off of it, but I'll probably end up breaking down and buying a case for the holidays.

Dunno how many copies it has sold but I am a CD (album) evangelist! Okay, I am a newish fan of GNR and the novelty hasn't worn off but I play that thing every day.

As for singles - it's not really a singles-oriented album, is it? It's more a complete work - or was intended to be. I see it as being like Tilt is to Scott Walker and albums like Outside (David Bowie). Not as popular as the best-known work, a bitout there, but still great in my humble opinion. I LOVE CD. ;)

I'm not sure if I'm a CD evangelist, CD activist, or if I just have a big problem.

• Like 1

I've been on CD pretty hardcore for about a half decade now. I own several copies on CD and Vinyl and I have gifted more than a dozen to various people over the years. I mostly always carry a copy with me at all times. I make it a point to listen at least once a week and there are days when I listen to it multiple times. I"m trying to wean off of it, but I'll probably end up breaking down and buying a case for the holidays.

Great it's not just me then! I carry the cd with me when I go away. Haven't bought multiple copies yet but there's time yet.

It's a revelation to me... I play it most mornings. Hugely cathartic. Not exactly a chill out album though Prostitute is reasonably chilled.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I'm a CD evangelist, CD activist, or if I just have a big problem.

You are up an Axl bum - a common medical condition among people who frequent gnr boards. Go and listen to some Shakey. Rediscover proper music.

You are up an Axl bum - a common medical condition among people who frequent gnr boards. Go and listen to some Shakey. Rediscover proper music.

Ha! No, I don't think I am. Try and keep an open mind and just like what I like. Only bought CD after reading about it on this forum and wanted to know what the people were talking about and why such divided opinion exists.

• 2 weeks later...

AFD has reached 18x platinum in the USA.

Still it's considered to have world wide sales of 30 millions.

So that's 2/3 more of the US sales alone.

Fact is, you just can't take sales of a state and extrapolate them to find out what's total sales of a record. Deal with it.

I see no reason why we can't extrapolate when you only include countries that we can assume would buy as many copies per capita. And that is what I have done.

Ok. So I assume it has sold 2 million copies. Who's right now?

But the assumtion is based on using countries where the record sold to gold and platinum in 2009. It is not just guessing....

This most definitely has been beat to death but your extrapolations are assuming that CD sold at a steady rate for the last 6+ years after the initial release which we know is not true as it dropped from the charts.

Nope, there is NO steady rate sale used. The basis is looking at the ACTUAL, RECENT sales numbers from USA and UK, and then using these to extrapolate for other markets where we know the record had sold/shipped as much in 2009.

I am not saing this method does''t have weaknesses (i.e. constant touring in the US would probably keep the sales higher there than in other more "neglected" markets, and sales curves will vary tremendously from region to region). Still, it is an interesting way of doing it.

3 million. 3.5 million max. '5 million' is blatantly absurd.

Why do you think it is blatantly absurd?

5 million is just under Black Ice's sales and Black Ice was considered a commercial smash!

As of 2015, Black Ice has sold only 5 million copies? You are wrong. Already in 2008 that record had sold 6 million copies. I have no idea how much it has sold by 2015, but it is guaranteed a lot more than even my highest possible estimater for CD.

That is why I said 'under'!!

The point was that this was already in 2008. Surely by now Black Ice has sold a bit more and that CD has sold a lot less.

Fact is, you just can't take sales of a state and extrapolate them to find out what's total sales of a record. Deal with it.

I see no reason why we can't extrapolate when you only include countries that we can assume would buy as many copies per capita. And that is what I have done.
But the assumtion is based on using countries where the record sold to gold and platinum in 2009. It is not just guessing....

Lol, it isn't guessing it is wishful thinking.

For the record: I've extrapolate my opinion so I'm definitely right :lol:

• Like 1

I bought mine back when I only listened to music on cd players instead of burning them to my media player, I remember fast fucking forwarding CD because I got annoyed with the spooky whispering, I was like did somebody tape over the shop aisles or something and I got a weird security tape instead? I hit play again when he was screaming and thought that's better.

Can we subtract from Chinese Democracy's total sales, all of those multiple copies bought up by Axl fanatics who then proceeded to hand them out to perplexed family members and bemused passing strangers? Surely at least twenty percent of the album's sales consisted of these, thoroughly unloved, copies?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Can we subtract from Chinese Democracy's total sales, all of those multiple copies bought up by Axl fanatics who then proceeded to hand them out to perplexed family members and bemused passing strangers? Surely at least twenty percent of the album's sales consisted of these, thoroughly unloved, copies?

I think (hope) a lot more people claimed to have done that then actually did it.

Why is it wishful thinking to assume that the sales development has been similar for countries where CD initially (in 2009) sold equally good? Sure, there will be some variations, for instance due to the band promoting the record more in some markets (like extensive touring in the US), but overall I think it is a rather reasonable assumption to make.

Edited by SoulMonster

Why is it wishful thinking to assume that the sales development has been similar for countries where CD initially (in 2009) sold equally good? Sure, there will be some variations, for instance due to the band promoting the record more in some markets (like extensive touring in the US), but overall I think it is a rather reasonable assumption to make.

It is completely flawed as a equation since markets differ so much from one and another. Appetite and Illusion bombed in France for instance so if we were to use your method, using France for our base, we would assume that Appetite and Illusion bombed worldwide!

It is completely flawed as a equation since markets differ so much from one and another. Appetite and Illusion bombed in France for instance so if we were to use your method, using France for our base, we would assume that Appetite and Illusion bombed worldwide!

But again, we are not picking random countries, we are just looking at those countries for which CD sold/shipped equally much in 2009 and then assume that they continued to sell similarly as the years went. That is a pretty reasonable assumption, without losing sight of the fact that there will surely be some differences, among other because of how the band toured more in some markets than in others.

Still a big assumption. Some countries might reach their maximum threshold before others. How are we to know - or not to know - that country x has bought up all of the copies of Chinese it is ever going to buy, as compared to country y?

It is a big assumption but I think it is reasonable to assume that for every country where the sales dropped off sooner, there will be a country where the sales dropped off later ;) It evens out.

The problem is that we compare with UK and USA, and the sales may have been prolonged in these countries longer than in the others, especially so for USA where the band has done a lot of touring that would normally boost sales. But again, this is a known weakness and added to me subtracting 0.8 millions from the estmated global sales and including the plus/minus 1 million uncertainty, resulting in an estimated global sale per 2015 of 4-6 millions.

Again, I have never claimed I have the answer. This is just one way of estimating the global sales. But I think it is the best method we have since sales figures for most markets are not publicly available. But take it for what it is. It is certainly better than looking at sales (and shipped) in 2009 and assuming that that is what the reality is now, too, disregarding any sales in the years thereafter. It is also much better than just hanging onto a number that is required to support whatever bias one may have, and closing eyes to any suggestions it may be wrong -- commonly seen from those who want CD to be very commercially succesful (like claiming it has sold 8 million copies based on nothing but wishful thinking) and those who want CD to have been a huge commercial failure (stubbornly claiming it only sold 3 millions based on 2009 data).

But again, we are not picking random countries, we are just looking at those countries for which CD sold/shipped equally much in 2009 and then assume that they continued to sell similarly as the years went. That is a pretty reasonable assumption, without losing sight of the fact that there will surely be some differences, among other because of how the band toured more in some markets than in others.

we are just looking at those countries for which CD sold/shipped equally much in 2009 and then assume that they continued to sell similarly as the years went.

and then assume that they continued to sell similarly as the years went.

and then assume

assume

ASSUME

Enough said.

Can we ask a reliable artist like... Say... Jimmy Page to extrapolate the numbers?

Only if he plays drums on the next GNR record.

:lol: next GNR record

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

Is this your clever way of pointing out that all estimation are based on some assumptions? If so, well done, there!

Yes it is.

But I'm excited as hell to read about your next theorys why CD is the best album nobody knows of. It's always good as a pastime.

You mistake me for someone who thinks CD is the best album nobody knows of?