The Oscars 2016 [Nominations]

Nosaj Thing

Will Smith is just pissed because he did "Concussion" which is an obvious Oscar bait film, and he didn't even get nominated much less win.

Because his Nigerian accent was considerably more amusing than I assume it was supposed to be.

Benecio Del Toro deserved a nomination but then so did Paul Dano and Emily Blunt. Unless you can prove there was a conspiracy to coerce members not to vote for people of color, the problem remains the lack of opportunities in the industry, especially when it comes to 'prestige' movies.

I'll take Straight Out of Compton over the standard Oscar bait white dude overcoming whatever that are traditionally so popular with the Academy (King's Speech, Theory of Everything etc) but anyone expressing surprise it missed a BP nom are delusional. They've NEVER go for hip. The average voter is a 62 year old white male (which obviously explains a LOT).

Edited by Angelica

Will Smith is just pissed because he did "Concussion" which is an obvious Oscar bait film, and he didn't even get nominated much less win.

Because his Nigerian accent was considerably more amusing than I assume it was supposed to be.

Benecio Del Toro deserved a nomination but then so did Paul Dano and Emily Blunt. Unless you can prove there was a conspiracy to coerce members not to vote for people of color, the problem remains the lack of opportunities in the industry, especially when it comes to 'prestige' movies.

I'll take Straight Out of Compton over the standard Oscar bait white dude overcoming whatever that are traditionally so popular with the Academy (King's Speech, Theory of Everything etc) but anyone expressing surprise it missed a BP nom are delusional. They've NEVER go for hip. The average voter is a 62 year old white male (which obviously explains a LOT).

I'm not Nigerian, but from what I have read from people who are, his accent was appalling. As Aunt Viv (sorry, she will always be that) said, the Smiths own a big production company and rather than help young black actors get a foot in the door all they do is provide vehicles for themselves, their kids and their friends; if we want to be blunt, people like Will Smith are part of the problem that he is complaining about. Plus, he's no great shakes as an actor either. I can honestly picture Will and Jada looking at nominations and saying "Man, I can't believe those bastards Day-Lewis and Streep got nominations ahead of us".

Edited by PappyTron

What's funny is, about 13% of the population is black, 8% of the WINNERS of best actor have been black, nominations for best actor, actress, supporting actor/actress, are up around 16%. Seems like it's pretty mathematically fair to me.

get out of here with this rational common sense.

not sure if this was posted but this is john singleton's response(director of boyz n the hood)

"There’s only so many slots, though. There are a couple of movies that may have (warranted attention) but … It’s all subjective. It’s almost like the lottery.”
“It’s like every year people complain. People even complain even when we have a lot of nominations. It is what it is. I’ve been in the game for 25 years. You never know — it’s the luck of the draw for you. To me, I’m not surprised. I’m not disappointed either, as much as other people are disappointed. There’s a whole elevation of work that happens."
  • Like 1

Shouldn't we be trying to support more serious roles for black actors, rather than complain that there have been no standout performances this year? Maybe Idris Elba at a push, but he never would've won it anyway.

• Like 2

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-et-mn-academy-voting-diversity-20160120-story.html

Number of best picture, best actress, best director, and best actor nominees to be doubled to 10 each to make room for "diversity nominations"

Diversity quotas to be implemented in Academy itself within the voting body. Membership is for life, so only non-white new members will likely be considered for new membership, and existing white members encouraged to leave.

can't make this shit up

Edited by bacardimayne

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-et-mn-academy-voting-diversity-20160120-story.html

Number of best picture, best actress, best director, and best actor nominees to be doubled to 10 each to make room for "diversity nominations"

Diversity quotas to be implemented in Academy itself within the voting body. Membership is for life, so only non-white new members will likely be considered for new membership, and existing white members encouraged to leave.

can't make this shit up

Jesus - we are creating situations of reverse discrimination here through this religion called ''dye' versity!! (It is like the South African Test team incidentally [sorry, for cricket aficionados only]). What will happen is this: some of the more astute and less zealous black nominees (i.e. not Spike Lee) will ponder on whether or not they have been nominated on merit only, or have merely ''fulfilled a skin colour quota''? It removes the notion that black actors can have a bad year, in regards to film: black people are literally not allowed to fail at the Oscars - it is a frightening precedent!! White nominees will ask this question also, but not openly, too afraid of the ''dye' versity'' brigade and accusations of racism by nutters like Spike Lee.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I hope this serves to further explain my point about the Oscars being a load of bollocks, it is nothing to do with films and everything to do with an industry and politics and the aggrandisement of partys that pay very well for it. Award shows are literally the most damaging thing for the medium of cinema.

can't make this shit up

Jesus - we are creating situations of reverse discrimination here through this religion called ''dye' versity!! (It is like the South African Test team incidentally [sorry, for cricket aficionados only]). What will happen is this: some of the more astute and less zealous black nominees (i.e. not Spike Lee) will ponder on whether or not they have been nominated on merit only, or have merely ''fulfilled a skin colour quota''? It removes the notion that black actors can have a bad year, in regards to film: black people are literally not allowed to fail at the Oscars - it is a frightening precedent!! White nominees will ask this question also, but not openly, too afraid of the ''dye' versity'' brigade and accusations of racism by nutters like Spike Lee.

Oh my god, there is no such thing as "reverse discrimination" or "reverse racism." It's still the same thing if it's against white people, it's just that no one cares.

dis·crim·i·na·tion
dəˌskriməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: discrimination; plural noun: discriminations
the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
"victims of racial discrimination"

can't make this shit up

Oh my god, there is no such thing as "reverse discrimination" or "reverse racism." It's still the same thing if it's against white people, it's just that no one cares.

dis·crim·i·na·tion
dəˌskriməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

Does that really need explaining to you? The whole point is that prejudice traditionally is something minorities suffer from more, resulting in the notion of discriminatory behaviour in the other direct being referred to as reverse discrimination, putting the term 'reverse' in there isn't a way of saying it's something else, it's a way of illustrating the direction of the prejudice in question.

Edited by Len B'stard

can't make this shit up

dis·crim·i·na·tion
dəˌskriməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun

If somebody is there merely to fulfill a race quota, it is denying someone who should normally be there through merit, i.e. discrimination.

can't make this shit up

Can't find those quotes in the article.

can't make this shit up

This is one of the prime examples of why people support Trump

ON topic: i really hope Son of Saul wins the best foreign film category

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2016/01/academy-has-taken-steps-to-reduce-influence-of-old-academy-farts/

While I still think focusing this racial outcry on the Oscars in lieu of the actual film industry is ridiculous, I'm thrilled it's amounted to an overhaul of the Academy, which has been needed for decades. Purge the oldies and let's see if artless dreck like The King's Speech and The Artist still gets rewarded.

so okay the academy will nominate a few black actors next year because of this

but i gotta ask, does that solve anything? to me that is patronizing

i hope the black actors that are nominated next year tell them to eat a dick

its very patronizing. you are nominated because we had to not because we felt you deserved it! that definitely sounds like equality.

so okay the academy will nominate a few black actors next year because of this

but i gotta ask, does that solve anything? to me that is patronizing

i hope the black actors that are nominated next year tell them to eat a dick

this is bullshit. It's just nwa or Concussion were'nt good enough.

Chiwetel Ejiofor wasn't good enough in The Martian.

Lupita Nyongo was in Star Wars.

List goes on and on.