The Problem With Some Police...

Snake-Pit

They think it's a major crime if you get rude to them.

What other problems do some police have?

I try to be as level headed as possible about police, but I struggle sometimes. I know that job fucking blows. Just like being the president must suck because it's like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Police have to deal with a lot of shady characters and do things many people simply cannot. And let's be honest, they aren't paid very well. There is a case going around in my home state right that involves 2 police officers in a rural town shooting an elderly rancher. Apparently the rancher's bull got onto the road and a car hit it. The car was totaled and people eventually airlifted to a hospital 100 miles away. The dispatcher of this small town called the Rancher, who was eating dinner with his wife and nephew, and told him what happened and instructed him to bring his rifle to put the bull out of his misery. When he showed up (And this is where it gets fuzzy), there was some dispute between the 2 responding deputies and him about whether or not the bull was injured badly enough to warrant shooting it. The rancher did not think it did, and because you don't want to get close to a bull, let alone an injured one, his wife came down from the house and handed him his rifle, as the dispatcher instructed. The police were BEHIND him as he laid on the ground to use the scope of the rifle to look closer at the bull.. and that's when the police unloaded on him... from behind. While he was pointing a rifle to use the scope, the opposite direction of the police. They shot him at least 7 times and killed him. His wife then suffered a heart attack, was airlifted to the same hospital, somehow survived, and when told about her husband passing, suffered another heart attack. She somehow is still alive though. The worst part? The cops made her lay on the ground, post 1st heart attack, for over an hour, before calling for another helicopter or paramedic. And of course, we see the typical police department response of "internal investigations" and "paid administration leave" and it's been coupled with the usual pro police propaganda of "Until you put the badge on, knowing everyday you might not come home... You can't judge" by most people on social media and even the "neutral" local news. But the FBI is investigating now as well. But even with the Feds, that pesky "blue line" comes in and how much do they honor it? The point is those 2 cops make $12 an hour. Part of that is being in a rural area, and you can make the case they might not deserve more because of how limited they would even be needed in that area. But still.. paying people $12 an hour and putting in their job description they might have to kill or be killed... It's no wonder there is so much chaos with police.

I have empathy for police when they pull a car over for speeding let's say, and the car doesn't ro.ll down the window or turn down their music. I can see why there are so many police shootings given the current culture, it's reasonable for a cop to wonder if he might die right now. So There are definitely trust issues somewhere.

Now the problem is Police departments and other forms of Government and mainstream media are usually 100% backing of the Police officer. If the evidence of police misconduct is too great to trump public outrage, it seems there is as much done as possible to disassociate that particular officer with other police/being a representative of the government/community. And maybe that is ok. But because of a lot of outdated laws, and a "wild west" American imagination, police do and get away with a lot of shady things. We don't really have justice anymore if it's you vs a cop. I'll save you the trouble, they're gonna believe the cop. Unless you have 100% visual evidence. Call me crazy, but these "heroes" main objective seems to be traffic violations, easy drug arrests or picking on poorer people. They go twice the speed limit to serve you the King's fine for going 6 over the speed limit, or if they find that terrible new drug destroying our families called "Mary-Wona" you are screwed, or if you are homeless and don't have a place to stay at night, you can find yourself fucked. All in the name of freedom right? So is it all for corporate interests? That's what they are protecting? Are you sure that makes them a hero? It's like in America's race to provide fairness to everyone, because I think ultimately that is where policies and laws and individual action are developed from, we lost that and now have become what we were setting up laws to protect against.

Take this Oregon standoff. It's like the big thing everyone is focused on is they killed one of them. And I get there are a million opinions on how and why and there was even a video released today that showed them shooting him. But it's like as a culture, who ironically is in a gun debate right now, we aren't asking why this was even necessary. I come from a smaller state and have been around rural areas. I understand certain viewpoints in the same way a black kid in inner city Chicago understands certain viewpoints that Jeb Bush does not. It doesn't mean there is danger in that viewpoint. The culture is just a certain way. And part of that rural culture, is they don't like people from Washington DC telling them what they can do with what they believe is their land in the west, whether that's through the state or family. And I get the whole "Indians were there first" and that's a valid point. I'm just relaying the thought. It's a sad time right now in some ways.

If using fatalities to judge the danger of being a cop, then being a cop isn't very dangerous. Last year was the 2nd fewest fatalities on record for police, 34. 28 of which were accidents (mostly auto). The only year to be less lethal? 2013. Compare that to about 1,100 police killings in America last year. 1 in 5 being completely unarmed. So where is the gun control discussion? We can't have the haves and have nots. We've tried that policy for too long in the world. It doesn't work.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/over-1000-people-killed-by-police-since-the-beginning-of-2015/211529/

Also, it's important to remember that amidst all this chaos, the world has never been safer. Go outside and smell a flower or call your grandpa. Don't be focused on the noise coming out of your electronic rectangles that keep us all fearing each other and missing out on the good stuff.

Sorry for the rant. Was thinking about starting a topic about police today, but this sufficed.

Edited by Sprite
  • Like 1

The police need to understand that they have no God given right to demand certain things. Take that rancher; the police have no legal power to instruct him to shoot the bull. None. Yet, when a civilian has the audacity to turn around and say "no" that is when all hell breaks loose. Speak to any cop and they will tell you that their number one priority each day is to go home to their family at night. Not to uphold the law, not to uphold their oaths, but to make sure that they are okay. When you have the mentality that your own wellbeing is more important than the law and the rights of anyone that you meet in the course of your daily duty then you are going to have problems.

• Like 1

Personally, I try to be level headed too, but I'm not everybody, and some police think disrespecting them is a capital crime, I'm not a black girl teen crying for my mama having done been cuffed and sprayed in the face by a cop, but that's not to say it doesn't happen even though it doesn't happen to me.

Edited by Snake-Pit

I got pulled over for speeding. I was going 54 in a 40 (supposedly), and I was polite as can be. He walks back with a ticket.

I always hear people getting a warning. I've never got a warning. The pigs always ticket me.

Plus I'm unemployed. At least I have a month to pay it off.

But I might challenge it because on the ticket it doesn't say he how my speed was clocked. Not all of the information was filled out.

The cop spelt speeding wrong too. So not only is the ticket incomplete, it has errors. Perhaps the judge will see it.

I've met good cops and cops who've used their authority to harass you for no reason.

I don't think it's because their cops, it's just their personalities. They just happen to be cops.

The world is a suck place and honestly I don't know if I were a cop I might be shooting people too. Just because their cops doesn't mean they don't get scared like the rest of us.

I always try to be respectful to cops. I've had some times in my life where cops have saved my life.

• Like 1

I got pulled over for speeding. I was going 54 in a 40 (supposedly), and I was polite as can be. He walks back with a ticket.

I always hear people getting a warning. I've never got a warning. The pigs always ticket me.

But I might challenge it because on the ticket it doesn't say he how my speed was clocked. Not all of the information was filled out.

The cop spelt speeding wrong too. So not only is the ticket incomplete, it has errors. Perhaps the judge will see it.

Maybe you shouldn't go 14 over the speed limit, pig. They do t have to say how your speed was checked on a ticket. Best you can do is go to a mitigation, tell the judge you're sorry, you lost track, etc., and he should reduce it. Also, scheduling a trial usually gives you another month before you have to pay.

Guns N' Roses is a famously anti-authoritative band. Listen to live performances of Out Ta Get Me from back in the 80s, almost every performance was started with a rant against some cops who had slighthed Axl or the band in some way. I am sure this helped attract a certain type of fans. Not that all fans shared the same rebellious nature, just that some of them would be additionally attracted to the band due to shared anti-authoritanian mindset. Would I then be surprised by some members on a GN'R fan forum expressing hostility towards cops? No, not at all. Would I think there is more anti-cop sentiment among Gn'R fans than among, say, fans of Foo Fighters. Yes.

It's a job that attracts the power hungry, and in addition, gives them a gun.

this nails it.

not to mention a lot of these cops being hired are right out of the military, so they treat people like they are still in fallujah, then add power to the position and the power of the gun, you get what you are seeing today.

not to mention a lot of these cops being hired are right out of the military, so they treat people like they are still in fallujah, then add power to the position and the power of the gun, you get what you are seeing today.

Talkking about USA isolated, this is definitely the case. Not only do they bring the soldier mentality, they also being the soldier weaponry.

That judge wont see shit, that only works when you're a famous person and you got a lawyer whoose hourly rate is more than the price of the houses on your street, those are the only people who get away with exploiting things like an obvious spelling mistake. I got my name spelled wrong on a sample sent for examination once. Edited by Len B'stard