Duff is playing the Grammys tonight

17 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Man, I've read your posts and you're kinda clueless on the influence of musicians on other musicians and that is a very important (if not more important) part of a musicians legacy than who can name their songs or what songs are played on the radio and whatever other drivel you want to try to say.  

Yes, that may be the longest run-on sentence....ever.

Yeah right, I forgot the influence of the rock god Scott Weiland- didn't he influence Linkin Park, Puddle Of Mudd and Nickelback?

Weiland wasn't an Elvis, Lennon, Jagger or Bowie- there are bands/artists I like a lot but I'm not about to kid myself they are up there with the bona fide legends.

I counter your claim sir, and say if you had a clue about rock music history you would see how derivative and unoriginal Weiland's act was.

5 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

Yeah right, I forgot the influence of the rock god Scott Weiland- didn't he influence Linkin Park, Puddle Of Mudd and Nickelback?

Weiland wasn't an Elvis, Lennon, Jagger or Bowie- there are bands/artists I like a lot but I'm not about to kid myself they are up there with the bona fide legends.

I counter your claim sir, and say if you had a clue about rock music history you would see how derivative and unoriginal Weiland's act was.

you must be out of your mind. Yes, his influences were worn on his sleeve, but Weiland was a one off..a frontman/singer/lyricist of the highest order..he had presence on stage and in his songs...his trauma came through via the music and he kicked more ass than bruce lee in enter the dragon.

Edited by sonofnazareth

6 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

I believe I may have mis-read you're posts....as we are fairly on the same page though Weiland was a great front man, just not top 10-15 all time great..  The crux of the issue was Lemmys legacy compared to Weiland, which we both believe is greater.

• Like 1

Late to the party on this one, but oh well.

Weiland was a great frontman, and honestly, I don't think there's been a better one come on the scene since his debut.  Although a lot of that has to do with the changing music landscape within pop culture. 

Grammys have always been a clown show, and I wasn't surprised that Scott didn't get a tribute performance, however, I was surprised they didn't even play a clip of an STP song when they showed his pic during the in memoriam part.  He should have had at least that much.

As for the show itself, I enjoyed the Lemmy tribute.  That should have closed the show.  BB King tribute was great as well since Gary Clark Jr is always excellent and Bonnie Raitt still has it.  Jackson Browne with the Eagles was very good, but man they all still looked pretty sad playing the music.  Thought Lady Gaga's tribute to David Bowie sucked, it seemed like a parody of his career instead of a tribute. 

• Like 1

Joe Perry has forever been the king of sloppy playing, I know Johnny might be a good friend/songwriter/name to have in the band, but they really should have got somewhere more stable and rhythmic to play with Joe, not a knock on Depps playing, which is better than Joes live playing from the 70s.... but they need a more malcolm young-like backbone to that band.

From the producer of the Grammy Awards:

As for the somewhat less expected salute to Motörhead's Lemmy Kilmister: "I will confess I didn't have a lot of Motorhead on my iPad," Ehrlich says. "The metalheads have Dave Grohl to thank for that, because when I asked Dave if he would introduce that [In Memoriam] segment, he said to me, 'I'll do it if you do something for Lemmy.'"

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/6882761/grammys-in-memoriam-natalie-cole-mess-ken-ehrlich

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2016 at 5:46 PM, Jephro Rucastle said:

Does anybody know what kind of bass Duff is playing? Basically like his signatire model (P/J pickups, P body, J neck) and is says "Duff" on the round part of the headstock, but i cant read the small lettering along the bottom. Thanks for any help. FWIW, its not because I thought it sounded good (mix was awful) I'm just into gear. Thanks again

Looks like it was a Nash.