Duff is playing the Grammys tonight

Didn't Depp play Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt in the movie Chocolat - as in thats acutally him playing it on film. (He also plays on a few Oasis tracks but thats hardly virtuoso stuff :P )

He's meant to be pretty good - at least good enough to be in a celeb jam band type thing.

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

During one of the red carpet interviews last night, Alice kept trying to talk up Depps guitar playing. 

Depp was like "No no, I'm just a guy who's lucky to be here" and he seemed pretty sincere about it. 

He was bad mouthing his guitar playing?

I loved it, theatrics, humour completly OTT, I'm betting Lemmy would have had a chuckle at the thought of Ace of Spades being blasted at the Grammy's. The camara sweep of the audience amused me, everyone looking on politely.

Is it me or is Johnny Depp morphing in to tad better looking Andy McCoy.

I think some of those who didn't like Kendrick's performance would absolutely worship if Axl did something like this back in 93-94. Obviously not rapping, but in his way.

I thought it was sort of good. Duff likely sang because he was the bass player, right? Thought the voices sounded cool together.

Edited by CheapJon

6 hours ago, axlslash said:

Am I the only one who liked the performance? They're not a fucking classically trained orchestra, they're a goddamned rock band. That was sleezey, gritty, raw, and fucking loud. You think Lemmy would have wanted fucking polished? Jesus. That was great, l thought. 

There's gritty and raw and then there's unrehearsed and shitty. That was more the latter.

The vocals from Duff and Alice were the best part by far, cant blame Matt either. But geez those guitars, I mean...they are shite. I am a total mediocre player, and I have no illusions about my ability, but I could have pulled Depps quality on my average day. Geez.

Does anybody know what kind of bass Duff is playing? Basically like his signatire model (P/J pickups, P body, J neck) and is says "Duff" on the round part of the headstock, but i cant read the small lettering along the bottom. Thanks for any help. FWIW, its not because I thought it sounded good (mix was awful) I'm just into gear. Thanks again

2 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

They should have done a tribute to Scott Weiland, in addition to Lemmy. 

Good point.  Was he even mentioned all night?

I guess that just goes to show how taboo heavy drug use has become among the rock scene and Hollywood in general.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

Awesome dedicated to Lemmy.

Saw Duff and Matt. Saw someone interviewing Alice, Johnny and Joe Perry on the red carpet. Not many other rockers. Ghost was there and won a grammy for metal performance, but I had to see it on youtube.com The stupid woman who interviewed them was so rude asking them what their whole get up was about? Really? I mean shouldn't these people know about the musicians they will interview before they make rude comments and show how stupid they are?

I guess if you're not a rapper no one cares about what music you do. Very sad.

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

Good point.  Was he even mentioned all night?

I guess that just goes to show how taboo heavy drug use has become among the rock scene and Hollywood in general.

He was later when they showed musicians that passed away since the last Grammys. It's not because of drug use, it's because he isn't on level with BB King, Glenn Fry, Lemmy and David Bowie.

2 hours ago, Babooshka said:

I just watched it on youtube, and I can't stand that sort of editing. Flashing all over the place with quick cuts. You see nothing, you don't get a sense of the performance at all.

Yeah, that's how it usually is with The Grammys though. The feel like fast editing = rocking out apparently.

6 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

They should have done a tribute to Scott Weiland, in addition to Lemmy. 

All the pop princesses and posers in the crowd at the Grammys suck ass.  Actually, the Grammys suck ass.  "Best Metal Album jethro tull' instead of metallica....nuff said.

Wasn't that almost 30 years ago? And wasn't it the first year they had a metal/rock combination award?

Metallica has gone on to win I think  a bunch of Grammy awards. They've gotten over it.  Been almost 30 years, perhaps you can let your anger go as well?

And why wouldn't pop princesses be involved in an awards show that honors and gives awards to the most popular music? 

Posers? Who are the posers? People who don't love metal?

Weidland wasn't big enough of a cross over music star to warrant a tribute song. Maybe at a Golden Gods or Hard Rock awards show. But if the Grammys did song tributes to every musician who died then the show would be six hours long. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bono said:

If that performance by Kendrick Lamar is what passes as a great performance in 2016 then it's not fucking wonder the music industry is going down the toilet. People's standrads when it comes to performance has plummeted so fucking low it's sad. And before you or anyone else go on about me being close minded about music, it has NOTHING to do with the music and EVERYTHING to do with performance. 

Kendrick's performance was incredible. It has everything to do with you being close minded.

What a mess...