slash reportedly laying down new GNR tracks

On 2/25/2016 at 4:03 AM, LandOla said:
On 2/24/2016 at 2:41 PM, sonofnazareth said:

Yes. Adler wrote his drum parts and those parts played an extremely pivotal role in the sound of GNR. It doesn't matter whether or not he is credited...a lot of artists made major contributions to the songs/sound of their bands, but received no credit whatsoever. 

Adler sued the band back when he was fired.  They eventually settled and paid him $2.5 million and in return he gave up his rights/shares of the band along with the rights of the songs (including the parts he wrote). 

So he agreed to sell his work and was paid for it. The same exact way an artist would sell a painting.  And an artist can't come back 25 years later and say he owns the painting or has rights to profit off of it because he painted it.

So obviously, if he already sold his share of the band/rights to the music years ago, the only way he would perform with the band LEGALLY would be as a paid/guest performer.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Adler sued the band back when he was fired.  They eventually settled and paid him $2.5 million and in return he gave up his rights/shares of the band along with the rights of the songs (including the parts he wrote). 

So he agreed to sell his work and was paid for it. The same exact way an artist would sell a painting.  And an artist can't come back 25 years later and say he owns the painting or has rights to profit off of it because he painted it.

So obviously, if he already sold his share of the band/rights to the music years ago, the only way he would perform with the band LEGALLY would be as a paid/guest performer.

Steven must get some kind of royalty payments though? Didn't I read on here a while back that he just bought a new, expensive house? No way he got that from his solo adventures.

24 minutes ago, zeppelinrocksnexttognr said:

Steven must get some kind of royalty payments though? Didn't I read on here a while back that he just bought a new, expensive house? No way he got that from his solo adventures.

A lump sum $2.5m payment 25 years ago would make him pretty wealthy in today's terms, if he invested it wisely.

Most likely he squandered most of it tho...

On 2/25/2016 at 0:12 AM, RussTCB said:

Wasn't sure where else to put this but I figured here is as good of a place as any;

While my feelings on the "regrouping" in general probably won't be decided until 04/10, I was driving listening to UYI yesterday and got excited about hearing Slash play his own stuff again like NR that we haven't heard him play in ages.

Yeah man, same here.

I know I should be "cooler" here but November Rain is one of those GNR songs I never tire of and hearing/seeing them play it again is (hopefully) going to be something else.

15 hours ago, zeppelinrocksnexttognr said:

he still gets his royalties just has no say in anything, like he can't say I don't want jungle played in this movie. He just gets a cheque every quarter

On 28/02/2016 at 3:20 AM, zeppelinrocksnexttognr said:

He as still receives royalty payments for AFD and Lies, as well as greatest hits and whatever he was on live era. 

The settlement was more to buy him out of the band. 

If he was still living off the 2.5m I'd be impressed / shocked because he stuffed his nose and drank his head off for a long time and that isn't cheap.a