Alt nation article: Slash and Duff working on unreleased CD tracks

Generally I feel songs are like fruit.

They start out a little rough.... work on em a little... they ripen.... hit the sweet spot... but if you keep tinkering they rot and get away from themselves. I think working on songs from CD is a mistake.

I'm happy to be wrong, though! 

How can people judge and throw shit into material they never listened? 

IF true, I prefer givin them the benefit of doubt, after all we're talking about the big 3, not NuGuns. ;)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

Do we really need a new best of package? If not a full new album, I'd love 4 songs released as an EP or something like that.

That seems like a better plan if they're adding to 'old' stuff. I am highly skeptical that they are, though.

4 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

where did this 'big 3' term come from? 

I don't know but it is a dumb one.. All 5 of the originals were important and Izzy is far more important than Duff ever was.

EDIT: and that isn't a knock on Duff. Duff is great.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jafeijo said:

How can people judge and throw shit into material they never listened? 

IF true, I prefer givin them the benefit of doubt, after all we're talking about the big 3, not NuGuns. ;)

CD were songs written by NuGuns.. Also this band looks to have 4 maybe even 5 NuGuns members.... None of which has really earned any benefit of the doubt.

You can paste a Slash solo on top of a piece of poop and it will still smell like shit.

8 hours ago, Mr. Dude said:

• This means that some songs could potentially have Slash (from two different eras), Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Robin Finck, Paul Tobias , Richard Fortus, DJ Ashba,  Izzy Stradlin, and possibly Brian May as well as Axl- all on guitar. in the same song. They'd have to dig John Nash up to calculate the royalty breakdown on such a song.

don't forget gary sunshine!

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Generally I feel songs are like fruit.

They start out a little rough.... work on em a little... they ripen.... hit the sweet spot... but if you keep tinkering they rot and get away from themselves. I think working on songs from CD is a mistake.

I'm happy to be wrong, though! 

Eat that orange!

this rumour doesnt make sense anyway, if you think about it.

reportedly, slash added a solo on "atlas shrugged" to be featured on a best of compilation as a new song. there are different kind of problems with this:

- if AS is featured on the best of compilation as a new song, it would be silly to add it to the follow up to CD as an album track. would Axl really want to lose one the best songs to be wasted as a "bonus" on a best of album?

- Axl isnt too fond of best of cd's anyway, given his opposition to the official greatest hits cd and the fact that Axl has never allowed a best of album. in the world of GNR, best of cd's are for fucking pussies. now he's going to waste one of his best songs on it?

- i still believe the rumour, even after izzy's statement, that izzy has worked on some GNR tracks sometime around the announcment of the reunion. knowing how izzy likes to work, i guess he came up with the framework of a great song, said "here it is, do with it whatever you please, goodbye" and then slash has worked on THAT song a bit

Edited by action

November Rain was really old when it was finally released, You Could Be Mine wasn't exactly new either. I see no problem with them doing the same thing they have always done. Or do you really think NR is a AFD leftover? 

• Like 1

I saw Chinese Democracy as an album that was everything that Slash especially didn't want GN'R to become. 

7 minutes ago, AlterL said:

November Rain was really old when it was finally released, You Could Be Mine wasn't exactly new either. I see no problem with them doing the same thing they have always done. Or do you really think NR is a AFD leftover? 

I think Axl was around 19 when he wrote the lyrics of November Rain. It's nothing like anything in AFD though, and I'd go as far as saying that November Rain would spoil the energy and attitude of AFD. 

Total hypothetical with no evidence or rumour or anything to back it up - but seeing as Axl and nu band redid appetite, is there any likelihood that already recorded CD tracks would get redone by Slash and Duff for this rumoured greatest hits album or something. Madagascar with some Slash on could sound amazing

So how does this go? Recorded in 1999, then re recorded in 2002, then re re recorded it in 2006, then re re re recorded in 2009 and now re re re re recorded in 2016?

Seriously man, get those 5 AFD guys in the studio for 2 months and we will have the best album of the year. 

• Like 2

I don't think Slash would improve it, but I do think they could do it. 

Gracii Guns, that might be true about NR, but what about YCBM (that was also written before AFD was released) or Don't Cry or I don't know how many songs in UYI I. 

How old a song is it's not important at all.

• Like 2

I really couldn't care less if the new songs they release were written a day ago or 10 years ago if they are good. Also I wouldn't dare to moan if we get any new songs from GNR with Slash and Duff. That would be just amazing! 

Of course I'd prefer a full length album and preferably several of them in the long run. But if for now I get at least something, I'll still be happy as shit!!! Because, wait, when was the last time GNR released a new song? And when was the last time GNR released a new original song with Slash and Duff?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, starlight said:

why do they have to carry on with this CD era ? it's too much of an Axl album and there are no contribution from Slash Izzy and Duff

If that is what they are doing it sounds like a lot of ball washing from Slash and Duff. They went on for almost two decades about how unlikely a reunion would be and what it would actually take to do it. "It seems" that hey are going against all of that.

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't know but it is a dumb one.. All 5 of the originals were important and Izzy is far more important than Duff ever was.

That's one of many accepted half-truths. Ask most musicians in bands, and they'll tell you that the rhythm section is really what makes them tick. Bass and drums are the foundation on which to build on.

I don't think Izzy was more important than Duff. They had different roles. Izzy brought a certain spice to the mix, but so did punk-Duff.

Izzy wrote more songs maybe, but god knows who discovered the riffs first; Izzy or Slash.

• Like 1

I believe the term Big 3 is related to the band that exists now - whoeever is there, they are the Big 3 that matter - and has nothing to do with the original line-up and who was more or less important there...

• Like 2

Why does Chinese have to have any relationship with the current line-up of Axl, Slash & Duff? I can't see why a totally new album would not surface with no work taken from unrealeased chinese tracks. I think it would be quite possible that Axl will bring something new to the album that has not ever been mentioned in 'Nu-Guns' wheras Slash & Duff are writing all the time with Loaded & Conspiritors so easily a back riff catalogue there. Izzy?? Who knows. 

In other words why would Slash go back & work on something that is 20 years old?  

1 minute ago, NOVEMBER COMA said:

Why does Chinese have to have any relationship with the current line-up of Axl, Slash & Duff? I can't see why a totally new album would not surface with no work taken from unrealeased chinese tracks. I think it would be quite possible that Axl will bring something new to the album that has not ever been mentioned in 'Nu-Guns' wheras Slash & Duff are writing all the time with Loaded & Conspiritors so easily a back riff catalogue there. Izzy?? Who knows. 

In other words why would Slash go back & work on something that is 20 years old?  

I guess Axl is too lazy to record his vocals, I really don't get his deal, like man when the album is already recorded, he could have easily released it in 2010. 

But well its 2016 and now no new music, so at the moment I'd hear any music even if its 20 years old. 

• Like 1