Axl's 2016 voice

2 minutes ago, Kenan said:

He can't use "rasp" all the time. It would blow up his voice. I realized this after having in-depth consultations with 15 nuclear scientists and than submitting my findings to the BOLA (Baord of Logic Affairs) and getting approved by UCSS (Use Common Sense Society).

He sang with a consistent raspy tone during his prime years..his voice was iconic. This is not about hitting the high notes or any other vocal gymnastics...this is about tone, the Axl Rose tone. He does not sound like Axl Rose anymore. 

Robert Plant cannot sing most of the high notes, but he still sounds like Robert Plant! His tone is still there. I don't know what happened with Axl, but in the late 90's he either chose to or somehow ended up singing (due to physical or personal factors) with the mickey mouse voice. 

• Like 1

not sure how many more times this needs to be discussed, but one of the main reasons why he doesn't sound good is because he's always short of breath. he simply can't carry lyrics seamlessly from line to line, instead he's always having to take breaths every few words which obviously makes things sound quite choppy where you get moments of silence when you should be hearing constant melody.

this is simply what happens when you're both out of shape and in your 50's. when your lung capacity is poor, there's no easy way getting around it. again, some of this can be mitigated by being in the best shape possible, but that requires discipline, desire, and dedication.

2 minutes ago, paranoyd androyd said:

not sure how many more times this needs to be discussed, but one of the main reasons why he doesn't sound good is because he's always short of breath. he simply can't carry lyrics seamlessly from line to line, instead he's always having to take breaths every few words which obviously makes things sound quite choppy where you get moments of silence when you should be hearing constant melody.

this is simply what happens when you're both out of shape and in your 50's. when your lung capacity is poor, there's no easy way getting around it. again, some of this can be mitigated by being in the best shape possible, but that requires discipline, desire, and dedication.

He has been singing like this since the 'Live Era' release. He has gotten in shape since then (02' arguably and 06'), but has never managed to recapture the classic Axl raspy tone. 

Just now, sonofnazareth said:

He has been singing like this since the 'Live Era' release. He has gotten in shape since then (02' arguably and 06'), but has never managed to recapture the classic Axl raspy tone. 

correct, he's lost his vocal range which is obviously the biggest hit to one's overall quality. he definitely sounds like a completely different person. and the incessant breaths he needs to take only exacerbate the issue even further.

it almost sounds as if he's singing while someone has their hands wrapped around his throat, like it's painful for him to perform.

Way to early to try & judge Axls voice all we've had are clips on the Internet recorded on mobile devices. There are two ways to judge his voice either try & get to a live show ( his voice will get better as the tour goes on). Or wait until the Blue Ray comes out & listen & watch in DD 5.1 on your home theatre system. From the clips I've seen he looks good,sounds good & most important looked like he was enjoying himself. I'm really looking forward to watching what I can via streams etc of these U.S. dates did I ever think I'd see Slash & Axl playing together "Not in this Lifetime ". Enjoy what it is some of us have been waiting 23 years for this to happen again I'm so happy about this. But I'm even happier for my 18 year old son called Axl that he'll get a chance to see Axl & Slash on the same stage together when they come over to England.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, paranoyd androyd said:

correct, he's lost his vocal range which is obviously the biggest hit to one's overall quality. he definitely sounds like a completely different person. and the incessant breaths he needs to take only exacerbate the issue even further.

it almost sounds as if he's singing while someone has their hands wrapped around his throat, like it's painful for him to perform.

He has lost his vocal range? Really?

• Like 1

I think Axl's stubborn refusal to lower the keys he's singing in isn't doing him any favours. Loads of singers do this as they age, there is no shame in it. It's better to do that and still pull it off than battle on in the same key and sound horrid.

We don't have enough evidence yet. From what I've read though, nobody in the audience has been anything but in awe of the performance as a whole. Axl's as well.

He is in ok shape. And if he is on a diet and training regime, his physique will only get better week by week.

Anyway, in my view, it's clear that he means business this time. But he has already conquered the world, so that maniac angry behavior that pumped adrenaline through his body and made him jump tall fences voicewise is gone.

1 hour ago, sonofnazareth said:

Listen to this...lower voice, but man, that tone..the classic Axl Rose raspy tone. What happened? 

You're pulling out his best live vocal performance ever recorded. He didn't sound like that in the 90's at all. Listen to you're crazy from Argentina 93, Axl sounds like a strangled cat. Unfortunately that was more common that that deep rasp in the 90's 

Too early to tell, but I think he has slightly improved his vocals.  Not enough to be "great" but since we haven't seen complete songs yet, I can't make a fair judgment.

The good thing is, he was 100% on fire that night.  He was giving everything he could, he wasn't phoning it in.  I think that's what most of us wanted from him, to give a fuck, you know?  It's pretty clear that the presence of Slash and Duff make him push his own limits.  Let's hope for improved vocals as the tour progresses and more songs are added to the setlist.

I know Axl knows that we're expecting his best.  He has the guitar playing beast back to his side after 23 years.

Light up that fire, Axl.  You can! :)

• Like 3

One thing is for sure, Axl was so happy that Slash was around on stage. I think that enthusiasm will help with any issues he is having with his voice. The guy is in his 50s, give him a break and enjoy the shows.

I'm just glad Axl and Slash are back on stage together. Whooo hooooo.

• Like 1

Stop with the age excuse Duff is 52 and he was absolutely amazing, fit and rocking the stage so I'm expecting the same from Axl. I'm glad about the energy he's putting in,I wish he could do more about his voice. I'm just wating for the next shows to happen though

1 hour ago, Changes said:

You're pulling out his best live vocal performance ever recorded. He didn't sound like that in the 90's at all. Listen to you're crazy from Argentina 93, Axl sounds like a strangled cat. Unfortunately that was more common that that deep rasp in the 90's 

That is one of his best performances. Axl sounded like prime Axl in 93'. 

He'll warm up as the tour progresses. This is a nice position to start from vocally. Just needs to gain momentum, but too early to tell.

Got potential, the range is there, needs more power. My gut feeling is that it's not even close to what he'll sound like on the best show of the tour. We don't even know how he sounds during a warm up show. Premature thread.

• Like 1

for what we have seen/hear so far, his voice is good. Maybe his voice is  even better that we can hear on this material, but the sound of the few video clips is not top notch...

...for what I've seen there is only for now available are : clips introduction/ISE, 2 mns of WTTJ, and few parts of ISE, brownstone & KOHD also and the seeker behind the jail bar (?), has someone seen any more clips from the night?

As others have said, too early to tell.

I'm unfortunately way too young (30) to have seen the classic lineup of GnR back in the day, but did see nuGnR twice in 2006 - at Donington and at Wembley Arena, and I have to say Axl looked and sounded great back then. But ofcourse, that was 10 years ago. He's 54 now instead of 44 so we can't expect him to be at the level he was in '06 let alone the late 80's/early 90's. I think on the slower songs such as Patience he'll sound great, but on the fast ones with a higher key such as WTTJ, Paradise City we have to expect it being a bit inconsistent, mixture of rasp and mickey. 

36 minutes ago, Braxon Raine said:

Someone needs to make Axl angry.  Angry Axl will blow us away vocally.    But not so angry that the show lasts 3.5 songs.  

Angry Axl did sing well in concert/in the studio, but it can't be forced. He was angry due to multiple personal reasons..this is one of them.