Axl's 2016 voice

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

He'll warm up as the tour progresses. This is a nice position to start from vocally. Just needs to gain momentum, but too early to tell.

Got potential, the range is there, needs more power. My gut feeling is that it's not even close to what he'll sound like on the best show of the tour. We don't even know how he sounds during a warm up show. Premature thread.

I agree, still too early to tell and very few footage but I think it's a solid start, I really hope he can reach this level as the tour goes on:

IMO this is the best his voice has been since the 90s.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

His voice at this point is mismatched with Slash's brilliant guitar work. Slash is just too good and Axl will need work harder on the rasp, if he can. 

two different instruments from my opinion, don't you think?

3 minutes ago, mikebones said:

two different instruments from my opinion, don't you think?

The push and pull between the lead vocal and lead guitar formed a pivotal part of the original GNR sound. Estranged, Sweet Child, Jungle etc. the list is endless. 

Edited by sonofnazareth

2 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

The push and pull between the lead vocal and lead guitar formed a pivotal part of the original GNR sound. Estranged, Sweet Child, Jungle etc. the list is endless. 

I know, what I meant was it's easier to take care of a guitar than the voice.

• Like 2

I still dont understand how 2010 was such an anomaly.. Even in 2009 osaka show there was a lot of mickey and songs like prostitute sounded pretty horrid in all honesty. Then in 2010 he was an absolute beast. Then by rock in rio 2011 hes never sounded worse or looked as miserable. So i dont buy the age think as an excuse at all

• Like 1

Just now, mikebones said:

I know, what I meant was it's easier to take care of a guitar than the voice.

Guitar players need to constantly practice, as do vocalists. There are many cases of guitar players (Keith Richards) who have stopped playing for months/a few years and have had to engage in intensive practicing or take lessons in order to regain their past abilities. 

I didn't think he sounded any better than his last shows watching the videos..  He sounded pretty good on Jungle. May have been helped by everyone in the building singing with him but sounded good enough regardless. He always sounds good on It's So Easy and he sounded like crap on Paradise City..

So far he's "Vegas 2014" from the clips we've seen but with the most passion and giving a shit he's shown in years. That gives me hope for the tour. Sometimes his sheer passion and energy can make up for vocal shortcomings, so even if Mickey shows up by the end of Paradise City then it won't be as big of a deal. He needs to bring it big time, and the clips so far show that the fire is underneath him at least so I think he will.

• Like 1

But was his 2010 voice like that immediately from the start of that tour? Wasn't it pretty lackluster in 2009?

So the idea of progression from this point isn't out of the question.

1 minute ago, ChrisMaciel said:

People are bashing axl s voice alter hearing PC intro, but the reviews stated that his voice was raspier during Rocket Queen And YCBM and just became tired by the end of the show...

Rocket Queen needs to be off the hook!

10 hours ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

I still dont understand how 2010 was such an anomaly.. Even in 2009 osaka show there was a lot of mickey and songs like prostitute sounded pretty horrid in all honesty. Then in 2010 he was an absolute beast. Then by rock in rio 2011 hes never sounded worse or looked as miserable. So i dont buy the age think as an excuse at all

He nailed prostitute in 2014. Both times he played it in 2009 he butchered it though... Badly.

13 hours ago, Slosh13 said:

One thing is for sure, Axl was so happy that Slash was around on stage. I think that enthusiasm will help with any issues he is having with his voice. The guy is in his 50s, give him a break and enjoy the shows.

I'm just glad Axl and Slash are back on stage together. Whooo hooooo.

This*1000. People age. It happens.  Be glad they are giving us one last run here. 

15 hours ago, Changes said:

You're pulling out his best live vocal performance ever recorded. He didn't sound like that in the 90's at all. Listen to you're crazy from Argentina 93, Axl sounds like a strangled cat. Unfortunately that was more common that that deep rasp in the 90's 

Got that right, right there. I know the Sailing gets love around here, but I think it's the best singing he's done post 94 (Sympathy).

As far as his voice right now...who honestly knows??? But I do know where my money would be placed. Ironic that I'm going to Vegas to listen to exactly what I think I'll be hearing from Axl - 2011 voice - but fired up, which is cool I guess.

18 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

Guitar players need to constantly practice, as do vocalists. There are many cases of guitar players (Keith Richards) who have stopped playing for months/a few years and have had to engage in intensive practicing or take lessons in order to regain their past abilities. 

Still not the same thing. A voice is not as reliable as a guitar. Many things affect it and in turn the singer that don't affect guitar players.

You can't really compare the two. Especially when you consider how tough it is to sing Guns tunes.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1