Axl's 2016 voice

17 hours ago, Ant said:

But was his 2010 voice like that immediately from the start of that tour? Wasn't it pretty lackluster in 2009?

So the idea of progression from this point isn't out of the question.

Fucking exactly. He had OBVIOUSLY prepared for the first 2006 and 2009 shows unlike 2011 but not to the point that he could sustain full-blown rasp. The fact that he prepared/rehearsed at all is a small miracle. By Canada 2010 it had strengthened even more, by the European shows it was just insane and later stuff like LA was arguably the best. 

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

Still not the same thing. A voice is not as reliable as a guitar. Many things affect it and in turn the singer that don't affect guitar players.

You can't really compare the two. Especially when you consider how tough it is to sing Guns tunes.

A guitarist can be extremely unreliable if they do not practice and experience a state of mental/physical/emotional deterioration. When you say that GNR tunes are tough to sing, then you must also be factual and say that GNR tunes are tough to play. 'Professional' musicians are in this band and they can't even play the songs with the right amount of feeling.

Nat King Cole may have found it hard to sing Welcome to the jungle, as it sounds on the record (due to his clear, crooning, baritone voice), but this is Axl Rose we're talking about, and the tonal qualities of his voice changed during the late 90's (Live era release). Slash mentioned that during the 1995 jam sessions/rehearsals, he had not heard Axl Rose sing a note since Argentina 1993. That is a severe lack of practice. 

Here is a quote from Carl Palmer regarding the Emerson, Lake and Palmer reunion in 2010:

“We rehearsed for five weeks, which I could never understand why we needed to rehearse that long,” Palmer tells Jeb Wright of Classic Rock Revisited. “Upon hearing the recordings, maybe five weeks was not long enough. It wasn’t to the standard that I liked and I didn’t think it sounded that good.”

Edited by sonofnazareth

I think realistically this is the best that we can hope for vocally. 2010 voice is gone although this was the last great show for him until now (nope Vegas 2014 was NOT this awesome)

But even here, he can be Mickey sometimes during YCBM

Edited by Strange Broue

On 4/5/2016 at 2:30 PM, starlight said:

Stop with the age excuse Duff is 52 and he was absolutely amazing, fit and rocking the stage so I'm expecting the same from Axl. I'm glad about the energy he's putting in,I wish he could do more about his voice. I'm just wating for the next shows to happen though

But he's not singing the GNR songs and jumping around. Axl has a very distinctive voice that requires a lot of warming up and TLC. And it's not an excuse, just the way it is. Sometimes he [Axl] might be just saving his voice so it doesn't go KAPUT too soon.

1 hour ago, Strange Broue said:

I think realistically this is the best that we can hope for vocally. 2010 voice is gone although this was the last great show for him until now (nope Vegas 2014 was NOT this awesome)

But even here, he can be Mickey sometimes during YCBM

Man that was an epic show.  So glad to be barricade for that one in my hometown 

• Like 1

I agree with Kenan, too many damn compliants about Axls voice, and steven and izzy arent there and about the new female keyboard player who i have no problem with, let it go man and enjoy. Im so happy they are past there issues and have got back together. Im looking forward to seeing them in july and hope a lot of good things are comming. Theres a lot goin on

We fans have waited for W. Axl Rose, Saul Hudson and Michael McKagan to tour together since 1993 and when they finaly do some of you bitch about it not being exactly the way you want it to be...

What in the honest fuck? Shut up and enjoy the ride and if you find it impossible to do so then go watch your old bootlegs instead of complaining on those of us that are pretty fucking happy with the current state of affairs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

We fans have waited for W. Axl Rose, Saul Hudson and Michael McKagan to tour together since 1993 and when they finaly do some of you bitch about it not being exactly the way you want it to be...

What in the honest fuck? Shut up and enjoy the ride and if you find it impossible to do so then go watch your old bootlegs instead of complaining on those of us that are pretty fucking happy with the current state of affairs.

In that case, you may want to learn to ignore posts regarding Axl's voice and continue watching/enjoying clips of the Troubadour gig. 

Edited by sonofnazareth

Just now, sonofnazareth said:

In that case, you may want to learn to ignore posts regarding Axl's voice and watch clips of the Troubadour gig. 

Well that's actually exactly what I'm intending to do (and of course also boolegs from 86-93) since I have a feeling the bitching won't stop any time soon.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Slosh13 said:

But he's not singing the GNR songs and jumping around. Axl has a very distinctive voice that requires a lot of warming up and TLC. And it's not an excuse, just the way it is. Sometimes he [Axl] might be just saving his voice so it doesn't go KAPUT too soon.

That is why Axl should get in a better shape so he can perform those songs. there are singers older than him who sing with almost the same voice as when they were younger 

I got the impression Axl is not taking care of his voice. I wanna know how much he's rehearsing and which kind of vocal exercises he's doing

We've got a total, combined less than 9 minutes of footage from the show. A massive chunk of it is composed of The Seeker and ISE, where Axl uses his lower register voice which always sound great.

Still, some people like to analyze and over analyze things. Chill the fuck out, ffs.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, starlight said:

That is why Axl should get in a better shape so he can perform those songs. there are singers older than him who sing with almost the same voice as when they were younger 

I got the impression Axl is not taking care of his voice. I wanna know how much he's rehearsing and which kind of vocal exercises he's doing

But they don't have the same vocal style as Axl...

The closest one to Axl is the lead singer of Cinderella, and his voice shit the bed just like axls.

Shape has nothing to do with it. Meatloaf can still belt out songs. But Axl appears to be a healthy weight for his age.

Edited by liers

4 minutes ago, liers said:

The closest one to Axl is the lead singer of Cinderella, and his voice shit the bed just like axls.

I know but Axl must avoid the mickey's voice it's the most awful sound

24 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

We've got a total, combined less than 9 minutes of footage from the show. A massive chunk of it is composed of The Seeker and ISE, where Axl uses his lower register voice which always sound great.

Still, some people like to analyze and over analyze things. Chill the fuck out, ffs.

Tom Keifer had vocal cord paresis, and it was not a result of his singing style. Vocal cord paresis is a neurological condition.

23 minutes ago, liers said:

Shape has nothing to do with it. Meatloaf can still belt out songs. But Axl appears to be a healthy weight for his age.

Tom Keifer had vocal cord paresis, and it was not a result of his singing style. Vocal cord paresis is a neurological condition.

• Like 1

Going from previous tour kick offs he sounds amazing. How he sounds outside of that? I think he sounds decent, with room for improvement. 

Early days, after Vegas we should all have a good idea of where his voice is at, even if the majority won't be there to see it live.

• Like 1

It isn't that he CAN'T sing like he used too.   He is CHOOSING to sing like he is singing now.  So the question is why?

I think it is a combination of factors, but he's most likely just trying to preserve his voice.   

If he goes full raspy all the time, he won't be able to sing clean at all, and he will also lose range at the top.   

I think Axl has a lot of written and recorded material where he's using his beauty clean tenor voice (think of Madagascar and The Blues performed at Rio 2001).    He's probably trying to keep his voice flexible for new material that will feature clean/high vocals.  

The good thing is that he is singing like this by choice, and not because his voice is broken.  

It is a tough situation.  Do you pigeon hole yourself into having one voice? (Old raspy Axl).  Or do you keep your options open?

I'd love to hear full on rasp, but I also know that I love the super high notes (like Twat and IRS etc).   If he sings raspy, he is going to lose the ability to pull off those stunning high vocals.   

We don't want a Robert Plant situation, where he's lost his rasp and range because he pushed both of those characteristics at the same time, too far, and BOOM: left with ZERO.

Lol let the nonsense begin....

I think truth is he was in places borderline exceptional, in other places he was a little rough and a touch undercooked.

It was NOT a disaster though, the Bridge show, THAT was a disaster, this was a perfectly serviceable concert in the grand scheme of things, and compared to his average performance from 2011-2014 ranking right up there with the best, and as sad as this may be, for now THAT is what we must compare to, not the amazing 2010 or chainsaw voice of 91-92.

It wouldn't take much for him to find that 06 voice again based on what I've seen, but with the depth of the 2010 voice (in terms of those big notes).

• Like 3