Frank Ferrer

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Maybe a fan favorite of NuGnR.. I didn't like his style then either or NuGnR at all for that matter. I also said the show was "great". I didn't say it was "ruined".  Maybe a song or two. Rocket Queen at the top of that list.

Fair enough. I appreciate that we're all going to like different things about different musicians and others will hate those same things. I'm not really trying to change your mind or anything. If I didn't like a musician I would be as adamant as you that they should go, Example - DJ Ashba. BUT we're miles off Ashba territory... so, so, so! far from that.

And yep, I liked NuGnR up to a point but I'm loving what's happening now, and I obviously preferred gnr circa 87-93.

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Fair enough. I appreciate that we're all going to like different things about different musicians and others will hate those same things. I'm not really trying to change your mind or anything. If I didn't like a musician I would be as adamant as you that they should go, Example - DJ Ashba. BUT we're miles off Ashba territory... so, so, so! far from that.

And yep, I liked NuGnR up to a point but I'm loving what's happening now, and I obviously preferred gnr circa 87-93.

\m/

9 hours ago, Bumblefeet said:

Actually this is what I like about a live experience. I don't get this I want to go to a concert to hear the album version performed the same way with every single note and nuance BS. I like it when they re-arrange stuff or add stuff or extend it. It adds to the experience and gives it a fresh perspective. That said I am a sucker for jamming sessions and long solos.

Other than the way axl sings it, they play it like SMKC.  They also brought the Godfather leading into SCOM from SMKC.  And the setlist flows like that of a SMKC show, more so than a Guns show in the 21st Century,.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

At least Richard is intonating his bends correctly, example - Slash - November rain (outro solo... flat as a pancake)..

When I said that in another post and I have acknowledged that Slash hasnt played song in over 20 years... I got backlashed ...a lot! Even though Slash plays it better when in form and practice...

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Could he handle everything that goes with a tour this size? he hasn't done anything close to this size in 25yrs.

Neither have any of them...except Axl in South America... I dont get why playing 7 AFD songs a night is problem for Steven.. that should be his role in a band - not a guest spot but a limited capacity... Frank can cover the rest.. problem? I think not!

3 hours ago, mikebones said:

I'm not talking about the sobriety, Steven has a particular sound that fits in GNR like no other drummer in GNR. 

He might, but because of his sobriety, or lack thereof, he's not an option so there's no point in debating whether or not he's better than Frank. 

1 hour ago, scooby845 said:

When I said that in another post and I have acknowledged that Slash hasnt played song in over 20 years... I got backlashed ...a lot! Even though Slash plays it better when in form and practice...

Neither have any of them...except Axl in South America... I dont get why playing 7 AFD songs a night is problem for Steven.. that should be his role in a band - not a guest spot but a limited capacity... Frank can cover the rest.. problem? I think not!

Potential problems include - 

Duff and Slash are recovering addicts, and Adler's Adler. He's already burned Duff once by disrespecting his sobriety on a tour.

Axl's never liked him that much and probably has no use for him now. 

If Alder was included and did something to cause problems, whoever didn't want him there is going to start pointing fingers at whoever did want him there.

This whole reunion and relationships could still be somewhat fragile and having a raving lunatic like Alder around would be an added stress. It's risk vs reward. His involvement has the potential to cause major problems vs nobody's going to decided whether or not to buy tickets based on if Steven Adler's going to be there or not.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

He might, but because of his sobriety, or lack thereof, he's not an option so there's no point in debating whether or not he's better than Frank. 

I've seen Adler alive couple of times and plays AFD songs like nobody. He can play.

5 hours ago, Millions said:

Come on - do you really think control freaks like Axl and Slash have no input on Frank's choice of drumming style?

I vaguely remember Axl commenting a few years back about re-recording Appetite For Destruction. One of the reasons he gave was that the drumming on that album sounded very dated now. So maybe he has instructed Frank to change the drum style? Its probably not Frank's decision, to be fair. Let's be realistic. 

Axl must have been on some serious crack or he was intentionally spewing shit to knock Steven. There is nothing about AFD that is dated. To say that Steven's drumming is dated is to say the entire thing is dated. I guess Axl's vocals are dated. 

Steven's drumming is what helps make that album what it is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:
5 hours ago, mikebones said:

Think about Steven or Matt playin' CD songs... would they suck as Ferrer do with AFD and Illusions songs? I don't think so...

Axl doesn't like Matts style of playing, he has said it before

"He is here to show you why he is in this band" Sounds like someone who really likes his drumming.

Matt would play CD songs the way they were recorded and honestly I can't imagine Steven on CD, too complicated for him.

4 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

"He is here to show you why he is in this band" Sounds like someone who really likes his drumming.

Matt would play CD songs the way they were recorded and honestly I can't imagine Steven on CD, too complicated for him.

Oh god. The UYI drum solos were the worst idea ever invented. I am sorry if there are any drummers in the house who I am offending, but I always, always skip the long ass drum solo when watching UYI videos

9 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Oh god. The UYI drum solos were the worst idea ever invented. I am sorry if there are any drummers in the house who I am offending, but I always, always skip the long ass drum solo when watching UYI videos

Depends, can be fun can be boring, just like guitar solos. Short and effective is the key imo.

46 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Depends, can be fun can be boring, just like guitar solos. Short and effective is the key imo.

It is funny because usually it is the drums and bass that catches my attention first when it comes to a lot of music, but I cannot stand listening to Matt's drums solos.

I love listening to percussion. Steel drum bands, trashcan bands, drum corp... but I guess that there is usually more involved with them and a lot more sounds available to hear than one man pounding away at a kit.

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

He said it in 2009?  but  realise he also called Slash a cancer then too, so maybe he's changed his opinion. He said his playing lacked soul or something and that he didn't enjoy listening back to uyi... that's from memory I might be misquoting him a bit.

He definitely liked him back then though.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Frank only messed up Jungle once too.

Maybe one rule for all?

What about YCBM, DTJ, Estranged, PC or totally fucked up Rocket Queen? Why are you defending him so fiercely? It's obvious he's the weakest spot in current GNR, he has to improve or quit the job that thousands better drummers would kill for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

Yeah but it's fun to turn your brain into mashed rice sometimes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

man who cares about your whining about Matt. I know thousands of people who love his drumming. And back in the days he was so powerful for GNR, not like Frank, who's drumming sounds always like a session drummer for any pop show. 

Actually I find Matt's solos amazing and when we and my friends were kids we always said that Axl and Matt are the best live. Dream days!!!

5 hours ago, mikebones said:

I've seen Adler alive couple of times and plays AFD songs like nobody. He can play.

Oh I'm not saying he can't play, I'm saying he's not an option for a variety of reasons so there's really no point in debating him vs Frank. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

What about YCBM, DTJ, Estranged, PC or totally fucked up Rocket Queen? Why are you defending him so fiercely? It's obvious he's the weakest spot in current GNR, he has to improve or quit the job that thousands better drummers would kill for.

Fiercely defending him, nope! I just think it's total bull when people say he messes up the songs, as if he does it every night. Making a mistake once in a while is acceptable! 

I've listened to DTJ, Rocket queen, Estranged and PC and did not hear any mistakes (meaning timing etc. NOT alterations to the recorded version, which are NOT mistakes... how can it be a mistake if it's intentional???). He messed up YCBM, but that could easily be explained with pyro going off at the same time and losing his place, maybe the pyro volume outdid his in ears volume; very easy to lose the beat in that instance. And, it's quite possible that he temporarily lost concentration and messed up... this is not the end of the world, and it does not change that he IS a very talented drummer. But hey! if you're going to argue with Danny Carey (who rates Frank quite highly) on whether Frank can play! fire ahead... it's just that you'd be arguing with one of the worlds most revered drummers; and if he doesn't know good from bad, who does?

Listen to sense, once and for all. Frank was hired by GnR! - fact. They rehearsed with him, and decided that "this guy is our guy" - Fact. IF they didn't like him, or thought that he wasn't capable, they would not have hired him... FACT! that is all that's important.

If you really don't like him, and it's ruining your enjoyment, prove it and don't attend the show. However, If you're going to continue to bitch and moan and STILL go to the show? I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

• Like 1

One thing I've noticed with Frank is that when he messes up, he's extremely quick to find the beat and fix it. He never gets totally lost. I agree that his YCBM and DTJ were too fast, so I imagine that his adrenaline is kicking in big time. Think about his vantage point. He gets to watch Slash, Axl, and Duff perform right in front of him to a packed crowd. No wonder the songs are so fast. He can't be blamed for some of the songs either - Slash starts Jungle and he's no faster with it than the latest versions with SMKC. November Rain is on Axl - it seems like Frank is actually trying to slow it back to the right tempo when he comes in with the first drum fill. I think this line-up is still getting used to each other on the stage. Saturday was an improvement over Friday and that was one night. It will only continue to get better.

1 hour ago, warebel said:

man who cares about your whining about Matt. I know thousands of people who love his drumming. And back in the days he was so powerful for GNR, not like Frank, who's drumming sounds always like a session drummer for any pop show. 

Actually I find Matt's solos amazing and when we and my friends were kids we always said that Axl and Matt are the best live. Dream days!!!

Not actually whining about Matt?  Just whining about never ending Drum Solos in general. Even the best/most skilled drum soloists leave me unmoved. No need to get offended on Matt's behalf. I'd feel the same if it was Frank or Steven doing the drum soloing.

I am glad someone got something out of the UYI drum solos. At least they weren't the complete waste of time that I always thought they were.

Enough already with Matt Sorum. There's a small bunch of messed up individuals here. He was fired twenty years ago, he can't swing. And nobody ask him to rejoin either, this ain't Velvet Revolver. end of story.

Richard messed up a chord during Coma, so perhaps Izzy or Gilby should replace him right?

• Like 1