Frank Ferrer

I don't wanna hear the album version performed live again. Agree with you.

But at the same time, when the artists force it upon the listener, extended playing and jamming is a big no-no. This is GNR (supposedly, cause it ain't YET without the other 2 guys, end of story). It's not The Aristocrats. If I want extended playing and guitar solo improv. that really kicks ass, I listen to Guthrie and co. 

But to each their own. I know what I like, and what I don't. And I never liked the "look, we can play too" stuff in GNR. It DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. 

Edited by AncientEvil80

21 hours ago, nathanhall said:

I respect Matt as a drummer for GN'R because he played the Appetite tunes as Steven wrote them.  There are very few fills he changed.  There are of course things you do live that makes it a live show, such as double kicks at the ending of Paradise City which was very cool back in the early 90's. But, he 99% of the time played the songs right and that's what made him a great Steven replacement.

It wasn't how he played, it was his overall sound.  It was fine but i'm not sad i am living without it in GnR

1 hour ago, T-Minus said:

It wasn't how he played, it was his overall sound.  It was fine but i'm not sad i am living without it in GnR

Well, my point is that exactly.  It WAS the way he played, not necessarily the sound.  That ain't really his job, the sound itself in the Tokyo home videos isn't so great.

My point is, he played the correct beat and the correct fills that Steven recorded.  He was a replacement to play drums to the songs to the way we all know and love them.  Once a song is recorded and released, it is set in stone.  They are not his songs to change.  So that's why he did a great job.

Frank on the other hand, is modifying the beat on most songs.  Modifying the fills and doesn't fit in.  He is not playing the songs as we know them and it is a shame.  He's not being the replacement, he's being careless and disrespectful to the fans by fucking with the songs.

• Like 2

On 05/04/2016 at 5:07 PM, LikeADog93 said:

Maybe that's the case. But that won't change my opinion that his performance on those songs is mediocre. Classic parts should be honored and played correctly. I'll leave it at that.

"It has to be exact to the record!!!" Wah,wah!. Exact to the record is boring! go listen to the record if you want the record. Live is live, and there will be mistakes as well as changes. Get over it.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, wilnor said:

drums is awful during the rocket queen jam session

Really? I thought the jam-session there was proof of that they really "gel" as musicians. Everybody listened to each other and followed each others lead. 

19 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Nope, just send Fortus and Frank home ;) They are the main detractors.. Hell, I would choose Melissa over those two any day at this point.

Fortus and Frank are the reason for all things bad... Yep! 

Maybe you just have a stick up your arse because isn't Izzy and Frank isn't Steven. Move on and enjoy it (or don't!) The guys hired each member if this band for a reason. 

Anyone questioning Fortus as a guitar player is seriously questionable in my book. He plays great, end of! 

20 minutes ago, nathanhall said:

Well, my point is that exactly.  It WAS the way he played, not necessarily the sound.  That ain't really his job, the sound itself in the Tokyo home videos isn't so great.

My point is, he played the correct beat and the correct fills that Steven recorded.  He was a replacement to play drums to the songs to the way we all know and love them.  Once a song is recorded and released, it is set in stone.  They are not his songs to change.  So that's why he did a great job.

Frank on the other hand, is modifying the beat on most songs.  Modifying the fills and doesn't fit in.  He is not playing the songs as we know them and it is a shame.  He's not being the replacement, he's being careless and disrespectful to the fans by fucking with the songs.

I get what you are saying and I respect your opinion.  I still stick with my opinion based on my own observations, that being that I find Matt Sorum's GnR drumming to sound pretty lifeless.  To my ear, It hasn't got any snap or character and although it may all be correct in the sense that he is playing the same parts, true to the original, I never liked how he sounded.  In VR he was outstanding and I loved the sound, but in GnR it kinda lacked spark.  
Frank to me is more lively, and in the grand scheme of things (not being disrespectful) the drumming is probably not the highest thing in the pecking order that joe public or anyone who isn't a drummer, will notice.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Fortus and Frank are the reason for all things bad... Yep! 

Maybe you just have a stick up your arse because isn't Izzy and Frank isn't Steven. Move on and enjoy it (or don't!) The guys hired each member if this band for a reason. 

Anyone questioning Fortus as a guitar player is seriously questionable in my book. He plays great, end of! 

Maybe you should just accept that people have different fucking opinions than you.

Franks sucks at playing a lot of songs and  a lot of people have pointed out specific examples.. Steven would be awesome but I don't care if it is him, Sorum, Brain or Brent Fitz to be honest. They can all play these songs better than Frank.

I'm sure Fortus is a great player but I don't like him in Gn'R.  His guitars are too loud. Louder than Slash's half the time. I don't care for his tone.  I wish he would play some of the classic licks the way they were meant to be played.. I don't like the way he plays Izzy's solo in Nightrain. It is a classic part and his ego can't play it the right way. He is just as bad as an offender in Rocket Queen as Frank. His renditions of the riffs are terrible. Aside from the CD songs, my least favorite parts of the show ere KOHD and Rocket Queen.. Fortus plays a part in that.

Are they the reason for all things bad? Pretty much. That isn't saying all things are bad at all. The show was great overall.. The "other guys" not so much. 

I need to go do some serious soul searching though. I'm deeply saddened to be thought as "questionable in your book" 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

"It has to be exact to the record!!!" Wah,wah!. Exact to the record is boring! go listen to the record if you want the record. Live is live, and there will be mistakes as well as changes. Get over it.

Obviously either Slash or Duff had the same feelings as me, because if you didn't already notice, he played the Brownstone intro correctly in Vegas. And in my opinion, it sounds much better played that way and it sets the right tone for the song. I bet Slash had a talk with him and said to play it the way it's supposed to be played.

Edited by LikeADog93

Wow, how many great drummers here...

Adler is addict - so he can't be GNR drummer

Sorum is robot - so he can't be the one

Brian is the one who started changing AFD and UYI songs so he must not be the one

and FF sucks 

Maybe they should have a band with no drummer - it would be revolutionary :D

I saw some clips from nuGNR - and those was afwul - but everybody, guitars , drums and Axl

I was on Zagreb show in 2010. and  I thought that they were pretty good - maybe I was to drunk of beer and 1st time chace for seeing (part) of GNR

I saw LV shows via clips and I think that was good show by everybody - including FF.

They don't sound like on albums - but that is not the goal of live rock shows imo.

Obviosuly Frank played Mr.Brownstone his(or new) way on purpose - and Axl liked it so

Now he plays it more classic way. Tempo issue? - Maybe band want it that way, maybe he is overexcited, maybe whatever...

I love his beating the hell of drums in Coma...

And during theese 3 shows - Axl had mistakes, Fortus had, Slash's solo's were inconstant here and there - but that's what live rock show is.

I saw 2x16k of people cheering, singing and leavineg venue happy faced, band memebers happy and satisfied after their performance - so shows were great and succesfull and that's the most important thing about everything...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Wow, how many great drummers here...

Adler is addict - so he can't be GNR drummer

Sorum is robot - so he can't be the one

Brian is the one who started changing AFD and UYI songs so he must not be the one

and FF sucks 

Maybe they should have a band with no drummer - it would be revolutionary :D

I saw some clips from nuGNR - and those was afwul - but everybody, guitars , drums and Axl

I was on Zagreb show in 2010. and  I thought that they were pretty good - maybe I was to drunk of beer and 1st time chace for seeing (part) of GNR

I saw LV shows via clips and I think that was good show by everybody - including FF.

They don't sound like on albums - but that is not the goal of live rock shows imo.

Obviosuly Frank played Mr.Brownstone his(or new) way on purpose - and Axl liked it so

Now he plays it more classic way. Tempo issue? - Maybe band want it that way, maybe he is overexcited, maybe whatever...

I love his beating the hell of drums in Coma...

And during theese 3 shows - Axl had mistakes, Fortus had, Slash's solo's were inconstant here and there - but that's what live rock show is.

I saw 2x16k of people cheering, singing and leavineg venue happy faced, band memebers happy and satisfied after their performance - so shows were great and succesfull and that's the most important thing about everything...

I bet you failed high school English

49 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Maybe you should just accept that people have different fucking opinions than you.

Franks sucks at playing a lot of songs and  a lot of people have pointed out specific examples.. Steven would be awesome but I don't care if it is him, Sorum, Brain or Brent Fitz to be honest. They can all play these songs better than Frank.

I'm sure Fortus is a great player but I don't like him in Gn'R.  His guitars are too loud. Louder than Slash's half the time. I don't care for his tone.  I wish he would play some of the classic licks the way they were meant to be played.. I don't like the way he plays Izzy's solo in Nightrain. It is a classic part and his ego can't play it the right way. He is just as bad as an offender in Rocket Queen as Frank. His renditions of the riffs are terrible. Aside from the CD songs, my least favorite parts of the show ere KOHD and Rocket Queen.. Fortus plays a part in that.

Are they the reason for all things bad? Pretty much. That isn't saying all things are bad at all. The show was great overall.. The "other guys" not so much. 

I need to go do some serious soul searching though. I'm deeply saddened to be thought as "questionable in your book" 

Music and musicians are polarising. We can agree on that. 

Richard throughout his entire stint in gnr has been a fan favourite, never a bad word (he's the best of the three, most similar to Slash etc, etc.)... now! he's RUINING the show.

Richard plays 90% of the riffs to the record, but he's a live player, he reacts to music as it happens (That's what musicians do!). He changes the Nightrain solo!!! OK? Slash changes the Nightrain solo too, and he also changes all the CD solo's. At least Richard is intonating his bends correctly, example - Slash - November rain (outro solo... flat as a pancake)... if you want to point out something "ruining the vibe / show" ;) but technique isn't important right...?

Live music is not an exact science, or an exam where you're being tested for your ability to play things note for note, 100% of the time. Musicians listen to each other, play off each other and things change organically on stage and in rehearsal rooms "try accenting the ands" "let's trade licks" "let's rearrange this song and give it some new spin". Mistakes and changes are bound to happen, mistakes - because it's live, sweaty and you're focussed on a lot of other things as well as playing. Changes - try playing the same set for 15-20 years and not change things up a bit. The musicians have to enjoy it too, not just the audience... bands aren't dancing monkeys for our entertainment. When I play the same set twice in a row I'm climbing the wall.

As for how loud Richard is. MAYBE he's louder than Slash because of where the camera is positioned? When you're far left or right, you're not going to get the same balance as dead centre. Richard doesn't control how loud his guitar is in the mix either, that's down to the mix engineer... it's not a pub gig. I bet if you're at the show (not watching shit camera footage), you would have no trouble whatsoever hearing Slash. The guitars need to be balanced equally during verses, during solo's they need boosting. If Richard is so loud during a solo that you can't hear Slash at ease, then he's too loud... but again that would be on the mix engineer.

A the end of the day you can say what you want, it has no real bearing on my enjoyment.

• Like 1

Come on - do you really think control freaks like Axl and Slash have no input on Frank's choice of drumming style?

I vaguely remember Axl commenting a few years back about re-recording Appetite For Destruction. One of the reasons he gave was that the drumming on that album sounded very dated now. So maybe he has instructed Frank to change the drum style? Its probably not Frank's decision, to be fair. Let's be realistic. 

My God, we finally have Axl and Slash playing together, everything is going well, and some people are still hung up on an unreliable, unpredictable drug addict who was thrown out of the band 25 years ago not being involved. 

I'll take the supposed "inferior" drumming of Frank over Adler and the strong possibility he screws the whole thing up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikebones said:

Think about Steven or Matt playin' CD songs... would they suck as Ferrer do with AFD and Illusions songs? I don't think so...

Axl doesn't like Matts style of playing, he has said it before. And Matt and Axl don't seem to get on that well. That's the end of the story for Matt.

Steven - plays well, but his sobriety is still a question mark, is he still sober?, is the back injury real? Could he handle everything that goes with a tour this size? he hasn't done anything close to this size in 25yrs. Could he play CD material? yes. I just don't see a good enough reason besides appeasing the fan base for GnR to bring Steven in for more than just a guest slot here and there. Too much risk, like a lot of other people have said before. Even Eddie trunk, who is a friend of Adler has his doubts about his sobriety and if he could handle being involved or not being involved. I just thinking having someone who's that fragile involve would be a mistake at this point. If he looks good in years time? and he hasn't had a slip I think he'd be a more attractive prospect. 

I can't see a full time situation of Frank and Adler sharing the drum position though, guest spot at the most.

While Frank continues doing his job the way the guys ask him, he ain't going anywhere. I know he's had a few slip ups, on jungle and he seemed to mess up the entrance of YCBM (when it kicks in with pyro) too, but overall he's doing a great job otherwise he'd be out on his ass, like Pittman.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

Axl doesn't like Matts style of playing, he has said it before. And Matt and Axl don't seem to get on that well. That's the end of the story for Matt.

Steven - plays well, but his sobriety is still a question mark, is he still sober?, is the back injury real? Could he handle everything that goes with a tour this size? he hasn't done anything close to this size in 25yrs. Could he play CD material? yes. I just don't see a good enough reason besides appeasing the fan base for GnR to bring Steven in for more than just a guest slot here and there. Too much risk, like a lot of other people have said before. Even Eddie trunk, who is a friend of Adler has his doubts about his sobriety and if he could handle being involved or not being involved. I just thinking having someone who's that fragile involve would be a mistake at this point. If he looks good in years time? and he hasn't had a slip I think he'd be a more attractive prospect. 

I can't see a full time situation of Frank and Adler sharing the drum position though, guest spot at the most. 

I'm not talking about the sobriety, Steven has a particular sound that fits in GNR like no other drummer in GNR. 

9 minutes ago, mikebones said:

I'm not talking about the sobriety, Steven has a particular sound that fits in GNR like no other drummer in GNR. 

While you're talking about Steven replacing Frank on a tour this size you have to talk about his sobriety. Great drummer but there's more to being a great musician than playing great. You have to be reliable too! Anyway! it won't happen, not while there's a question mark over Stevens head.

Would love to see him up there at some point though, just can't see him ever being full time though.

Just now, Tom2112 said:

While you're talking about Steven replacing Frank on a tour this size you have to talk about his sobriety. Great drummer but there's more to being a great musician than playing great. You have to be reliable too! Anyway! it won't happen, not while there's a question mark over Stevens head.

Would love to see him up there at some point though, just can't see him ever being full time though.

Well, I know is very difficult right now frank leaving the band, what I meant is ferrer sucks in some GNR songs and I dont think Adler or Sorum would have the same problem with CD songs...

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Music and musicians are polarising. We can agree on that. 

Richard throughout his entire stint in gnr has been a fan favourite, never a bad word (he's the best of the three, most similar to Slash etc, etc.)... now! he's RUINING the show.

Maybe a fan favorite of NuGnR.. I didn't like his style then either or NuGnR at all for that matter. I also said the show was "great". I didn't say it was "ruined".  Maybe a song or two. Rocket Queen at the top of that list.