Frank Ferrer

I'm a Frank fan but there were some pros and cons at this show. He went a bit OTT in the middle of Rocket Queen. It was almost like he was too bored to keep the regular beat going like Slash's drummer manages. The first rule of HybridGNR for non-core members is you DO NOT overshadow Slash!

I'm sorry, but this is going to seem like I'm trolling according to the mods here, but I'm not.  I'm simply speaking the truth.

I have to get this off my chest, but Frank's playing with GN'R is nothing short of disgraceful.

I'm so happy to have Duff, Slash and Axl back together and I've always said that they are the bare minimum to justify calling this band Guns N' Roses and damn, am I excited about it all.  Slash is the greatest rock guitarist of all time, Duff, of course is fucking amazing and I'm just so stoked to see Axl doing this again with them and also is kicking arse.  I wholeheartedly welcome Richard to Guns N' Roses because he fits in and is one mother of a player, but once again, to the reason for my post, Frank.

I am laying here in bed watching/listening to the lastest show on my phone and to be frank, Frank is totally ruining this.

He is doing fuck all right.

He plays too fast, plays the wrong beat, plays the wrong fills and is totally out of time in places.

I am a drummer also and I know for a fact that I could play every GN'R song, note for note.  It's not difficult drumming.  Fitting in with the band is the most important thing and I'm damn sure that Slash and Duff are not happy about it.

This could potentially be a train wreck.

I know they can't stop the show right now to rectify this, but as soon as they get the chance, something needs to be done.  Doesn't matter who it is, either Frank needs to go home and play the GN'R catalogue in its entirety to LEARN the songs or they need to get someone who knows them already.

Sorry to be a downer on the reunion, because I am so excited and satisfied about it all, but Frank is THAT BAD.

Not a bad drummer all in all, but bad for GN'R.

19 minutes ago, nathanhall said:

I'm sorry, but this is going to seem like I'm trolling according to the mods here, but I'm not.  I'm simply speaking the truth.

I have to get this off my chest, but Frank's playing with GN'R is nothing short of disgraceful.

I'm so happy to have Duff, Slash and Axl back together and I've always said that they are the bare minimum to justify calling this band Guns N' Roses and damn, am I excited about it all.  Slash is the greatest rock guitarist of all time, Duff, of course is fucking amazing and I'm just so stoked to see Axl doing this again with them and also is kicking arse.  I wholeheartedly welcome Richard to Guns N' Roses because he fits in and is one mother of a player, but once again, to the reason for my post, Frank.

I am laying here in bed watching/listening to the lastest show on my phone and to be frank, Frank is totally ruining this.

He is doing fuck all right.

He plays too fast, plays the wrong beat, plays the wrong fills and is totally out of time in places.

I am a drummer also and I know for a fact that I could play every GN'R song, note for note.  It's not difficult drumming.  Fitting in with the band is the most important thing and I'm damn sure that Slash and Duff are not happy about it.

This could potentially be a train wreck.

I know they can't stop the show right now to rectify this, but as soon as they get the chance, something needs to be done.  Doesn't matter who it is, either Frank needs to go home and play the GN'R catalogue in its entirety to LEARN the songs or they need to get someone who knows them already.

Sorry to be a downer on the reunion, because I am so excited and satisfied about it all, but Frank is THAT BAD.

Not a bad drummer all in all, but bad for GN'R.

Ditto. The reasons for not involving Steven may be very legit for all we know, but there's no reason they couldn't have gotten a drummer who could at least keep the songs at the right goddamn tempo. The sad part is that the majority of the audience doesn't notice or care. The ones that CARE are the ones that get fucked.

I never got all the hate for Frank, after watching the streams from Vegas though, he seemed to be going into fills half a beat early and was quite elastic with his timing, which gave DTJ an out of time feel. Some songs were way too fast and he mangled parts of YCBM. Maybe he needs better monitoring. 

Especially Estranged.  Man, I was loving that.  Slash just nailed it and made me feel all fuzzy N' shit.  Frank just destroyed it.  What an absolute disgrace to play all the wrong shit and ruin an epic.

How the hell can Duff stand him playing the wrong beat?!

He couldn't even get the cymbal crashes in You Could Be Mine right.

The beginning of the song obviously has the tom intro then as the main guitar riff comes in each second snare has a crash until the last 2 bars before the warm up bit then his the crash every snare hit (2 half notes). 

He played the crashes on the the ones that rest.

I was at the show yesterday. It was EPIC, but I needed to come here and vent. I'm a drummer, give that guy a fucking metronome, play to a fucking clicktrack. It is the easiest thing to setup, oh my god, he butchered one of my favorites: DTJ, so fast, Slash was trying to catchup to him. And Estranged, jeez, I don't know how the rest of the band feels but damn stick to the fucking tempo.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

I was at the show yesterday. It was EPIC, but I needed to come here and vent. I'm a drummer, give that guy a fucking metronome, play to a fucking clicktrack. It is the easiest thing to setup, oh my god, he butchered one of my favorites: DTJ, so fast, Slash was trying to catchup to him. And Estranged, jeez, I don't know how the rest of the band feels but damn stick to the fucking tempo.

I'm pretty sure he is playing with clicktrack, cause lights and bombs were spot on with his drumming. So they chose to play with that tempo in the rehearsals.

13 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

Oh yeah, awesome.  You lucky bastard to be there.

Yeah, tempo is one thing, but the correct beat is imperative.

4 minutes ago, hypird said:

I'm pretty sure he is playing with clicktrack, cause lights and bombs were spot on with his drumming. So they chose to play with that tempo in the rehearsals.

No, they have light techs who hit the lights whenever they want to.  All you need is to be able to follow music and push a button.

He has his good moments but... What the fuck is he doing (from 4:50 just randomly slamming poor drums)? Obviously he couldn't provide worse background for Slash's improvisation. I'm 50/50 mad and dissapointed.

Check this one from 9:00 to 10:50, the way bass and drums work together to match with Slash soloing is just fucking professional.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralphelmo said:

He has his good moments but... What the fuck is he doing (from 4:50 just randomly slamming poor drums)? Obviously he couldn't provide worse background for Slash's improvisation. I'm 50/50 mad and dissapointed.

You nailed it. I am baffled as to why the rest of the band puts up with that garbage playing. Slash's drummer would have been a much better choice.

5 hours ago, gnr5 said:

Yeah some of the tempos were just crazy. It really ruins the songs. Sucks the power right out.

I'm no drummer and I consider my musicianship level that of a "novice" guitar player or maybe a click or two above that.  I'm no expert master of the frets by any means.  I try.  And some times I impress myself.  But I can't believe Axl would keep Frank, who is considered a professional drummer this long if he was not keeping good time.  I'd imagine Frank is playing exactly how Axl wants him to play.  I don't know that for a fact...

I'm not a drummer, so I don't really have as good a critical ear as some. But I kinda liked his drumming on the Rocket Queen impro. Made the whole thing sound off the cuff, instead of just Slash improvising over a steady rhythm section. Kinda like they were properly jamming. Well it had that effect to me.

What I did notice was his fast tempo on a lot of songs. I'm guessing the band are happy with the pace. If not, slow the fuck down