Frank Ferrer

37 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

The general public doesn't care about Guns N' Roses (this isn't 1992 - Guns N' Roses doesn't have current hits on the charts). Guns N' Roses fans care about Guns N' Roses, and a lot of them want the original lineup. 

I think many folks 30-50 who are casual rock fans are excited about seeing GnR again with the core members.  

I live in Las Vegas, and I'm acquainted with several folks who have tickets for tomorrow night who most likely do not have accounts here or follow GnR closely, they only know that Axl and Slash are performing together and they either never had a chance to see them in the 90s or haven't seen them since then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CardinalGunner said:

I think many folks 30-50 who are casual rock fans are excited about seeing GnR again with the core members.  

I live in Las Vegas, and I'm acquainted with several folks who have tickets for tomorrow night who most likely do not have accounts here or follow GnR closely, they only know that Axl and Slash are performing together and they either never had a chance to see them in the 90s or haven't seen them since then.

Yes, but that group does not make up the bulk of the general population. Guns N' Roses does not appeal to the majority of teenagers and young adults anymore..times have changed. It is good to know that casual rock fans are going to the concerts though. 

2 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Yes, but that group does not make up the bulk of the general population. Guns N' Roses does not appeal to the majority of teenagers and young adults anymore..times have changed. It is good to know that casual rock fans are going to the concerts though. 

Us middle aged and older fuckers have more buying power than the millennials and teenagers tho.    You are right, GnR isn't going to be all that appealing to the kids.    They can have their justin bieber bullshit. 

Frank is a real time keeper which anyone in a band knows is the absolute priority of a drummer above anything else.  They drive the song along no matter what's happening around them. That's what frank does and you see it when they had that little timing problem in wttj last week. He didn't stop and he found his spot. I like that. Now if he can play brownstone and ycbm properly he'll be set 

I don't think Frank is the best GNR drummer that has ever been in the band however he isn't bad.  The Jungle thing excluded, he is a good drummer and he can groove with the band.  It may not be the Popcorn groove or the Sorum groove, but it is a groove good enough to tour with IMO

25 minutes ago, KBear said:

People talk about Matt's drum sound on the Illusions and I agree it sounds dated (though it also works with those songs), but you know what?  Listen to the work he's done outside of those albums (notably VR) and his playing doesn't sound like it does on the Illusion albums.  Call me crazy, but I'm going to lay this at Axl's feet.  You think Matt had the call to use that echo effect?  You really think Axl Rose said "hey Matt, make the drums sound however you like.  I'll obsess over everything else."  Who is the biggest control freak in GN'R?  Who agonizes over little things like that?  I think we all know the answer to those questions.  Matt sounded the way he did on those albums because Axl wanted him to sound that way.

Matt's drumming in VR is great, it's got plenty of groove and isn't bland or whatever people label his Illusions drumming as.

If I had my way it'd be Matt and Steven involved.  I don't particularly like using different drummers in the same gig, so having Matt do some full shows and Steven do some full shows to me would be perfect.

I'm not going to bitch and moan about it, but Frank and Richard don't belong in GN'R, IMO.  It really does put a damper on things to have them there but I'll try to enjoy this in spite of that.

BTW, calling it a regrouping is the silliest thing I've ever heard.  Regrouping, reunion, same shit.  Let's not play around with words.  Except this reunion could have been better if they would have just done it right.  Like, the biggest hurdle was always Axl and Slash.  You'd think once they buried the hatchet it would all fall into place.  But GN'R continues to be one big fucking tease.

Actually I like Matt's drum sound on Illusions and loved his work on Contraband.

I was talking about his live sound

38 minutes ago, KBear said:

If I had my way it'd be Matt and Steven involved.  I don't particularly like using different drummers in the same gig, so having Matt do some full shows and Steven do some full shows to me would be perfect.

I'm not going to bitch and moan about it, but Frank and Richard don't belong in GN'R, IMO.  It really does put a damper on things to have them there but I'll try to enjoy this in spite of that.

BTW, calling it a regrouping is the silliest thing I've ever heard.  Regrouping, reunion, same shit.  Let's not play around with words.  Except this reunion could have been better if they would have just done it right.  Like, the biggest hurdle was always Axl and Slash.  You'd think once they buried the hatchet it would all fall into place.  But GN'R continues to be one big fucking tease.

great post, that's how i feel too.

2 hours ago, KBear said:

People talk about Matt's drum sound on the Illusions and I agree it sounds dated (though it also works with those songs), but you know what?  Listen to the work he's done outside of those albums (notably VR) and his playing doesn't sound like it does on the Illusion albums.  Call me crazy, but I'm going to lay this at Axl's feet.  You think Matt had the call to use that echo effect?  You really think Axl Rose said "hey Matt, make the drums sound however you like.  I'll obsess over everything else."  Who is the biggest control freak in GN'R?  Who agonizes over little things like that?  I think we all know the answer to those questions.  Matt sounded the way he did on those albums because Axl wanted him to sound that way.

Matt's drumming in VR is great, it's got plenty of groove and isn't bland or whatever people label his Illusions drumming as.

thats what i've been reiterating throughout this whole topic... Is there any single person here aware that Adler and Matt in few blabbermouth.net interviews agreed for Adler to play AFD songs 'as long as he opens and closes the show' - his words.... with Matt playing everything else... I dont consider option of each of them playing ENTIRE show... Moreover regarding to Matt's drumming he kicks ass in Velvet Revolver and that's his really groove cause he isnt confined by the genre of the band (GnR) he didn't found.... As for Fortus he is awesome and given that Izzy by his will doesnt want to participate, the problem of the drummer is the only problem in the band right now...

23 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

and given that Izzy by his will doesnt want to participate, the problem of the drummer is the only problem in the band right now...

we don't know what happened with izzy, maybe he wanted to be part of it.

19 hours ago, madison said:

Oh please. The entire tour has been hyped and promoted as GNR appearing onstage for the first time in 23 years. This is the ONLY reason it can book stadiums - Otherwise, it would be small arenas and clubs.  

Last time I checked, it had not been 23 years since Frank last played. 

You can play word semantics all you like. But at the end of the day, fans are buying tickets to see the guys who CREATED this music - not another replacement lineup. 

No, they think they are buying tickets to see the band that wrote those songs etc. But that's not what they are doing. 

And why spoil the fun. I think we are reliving the UYI era of success. That's fine. 

I don't know what's going on with Izzy or Steven but they've patched together a "reunion" line up. 

I like the idea that it's a nostalgia reunion and a new era of GNR. 

I'm all for deluding myself but this isn't a reunion of any line up ever. It's a reunion of our nostalgia. Something we want to happen but hasn't actually happened (yet) but we are pretending is happening. And actually I feel the same about it (almost). Izzy and Steven are their in spirit kind of thing. 

6 hours ago, supercool said:

we don't know what happened with izzy, maybe he wanted to be part of it.

Maybe with Steven yes. That's what he has said before. He said wasn't the same without Steven. So it's possible he feels the same way. But he's turned up to play with NuGuns before. I still think these guys will be in Vegas. In fact even if they aren't it happened in my mind. Mind over towels. 

Thing is people be pissed if they do a reunion of the AFD 5 at some random show but not in Vegas or Coachella. Maybe next year on a different tour. But would be GNR to have the AFD 5 turn up in Mexico. Just another shitstorm to snakedance through. 

6 hours ago, wasted said:

Thing is people be pissed if they do a reunion of the AFD 5 at some random show but not in Vegas or Coachella. Maybe next year on a different tour. But would be GNR to have the AFD 5 turn up in Mexico. Just another shitstorm to snakedance through. 

I wouldn't mind it at all if they turn up in Mexico :lol:

On 4/7/2016 at 11:31 AM, maxpax said:

thats absolutely true...there is simply no need for frank. even if steven is injured....matt is the man for this job. even steven said so. and since cd didn't work out perfectly that would have been a great opportunity to rework these songs with the real gnr....i have nothing against frank, but he shouldn't be part of the gnr legacy as long steven and matt are willing to drum.

this is the best statement that everyone agrees with.

the rest of the recent discussion in this thread involves people arguing over semantics (it's not a 'reunion' vs. it is) AND (it was never billed as a 'reunion' vs. it was).

those discussions are irrelevant to the topic because the fact remains that Frank is simply awful at most of the AFD and UYI tunes and, more importantly, he had no part in their creation. so when the two drummers who WERE responsible for them are both available to tour, it simply makes no sense. Frank needs to go.

• Like 1