Has the novelty worn off for anyone else?

HeartbreakerWoman

Just now, Rovim said:

Yet most people accepted the UYI line up. It's Axl, Duff, and Slash again. You act as if no other hard rock band in the history of mankind has replaced members and continued to make music under the same band name.

The Illusion line-up had Stradlin my friend. 'Dust N' Bones', '14 Years', 'You Ain't the First' - those songs did not materialise from thin air.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ahh but what if that Beatles reunion had Denny Laine and some other wanker on lead and drums instead of George and Ringo, and Linda McCartney was added. You would have Harrison and Starr fans irate in the thousands.

Nobody seems to have even bothered to ask Izzy Stradlin, GN'R's greatest songwriter and coolest geezer, and Adler.

That's a little like comparing an apple and an orange? We are talking the most legendary band that everyone and their Uncle knows the names, vs. a band that has had a lot of turnover throughout it's career and several releases with a lot of players. Yeah they are both fruit but one is citrus and the other a pome.

Nobody seems to have confirmed Adler and Izzy even want to be involved? 

The king of light is but the other side of the prince of darkness.

Been a fan since 87 so the novelty hasn't worn off for me. Loved Chinese Democracy, liked Velvet Revolver,like Slash's solo stuff. I've only seen them live one time in 2011. I'm just not that in to live music. I'll probably see them this summer but still haven't bought tickets yet. I hate big crowds.

It almost wore off before it started for me... I have wanted nothing more in music than a Guns N' Roses for a long time.. I hadn't been so excited leading up to those Vegas shows. It was all I could think about. At 41 years old I was more excited than a kid at Christmas.. I was excited about the possibilities but didn't know what to expect. I wasn't sure about the line up but if they came out kicking ass, it could have worked. People get butt hurt about me complaining but I just know how good this could have been and it isn't. I wasn't a fan of NuGuns at all.. This was time for them to return to or at least somewhat close to their original form. As soon as I saw that second synth on the stage it was apparent that wasn't going to happen. This still has many elements of NuGuns.. A band that just didn't live up to it's original form..

I could care less about new music right now. I could live off the high of amazing shows for quite some time but that isn't what is happening. Some people can say how they they sound but they just don't. After hearing Axl with AC/DC there is no reason these guys can't sound pretty damn as close as they did when they disbanded. Axl has great performances in Guns have been over stated. He has been pretty good but still hit or miss and this is very apparent when you watch the AC/DC videos.

I don't see a chemistry issue between Axl and Slash but certainly do between Fortus and Slash... The drummer sucks and the overall performances have been sub par for a band of this magnitude. Especially when you wash off the excitement of seeing a few of them back together. The ticket prices are disgusting....

I had cut back on my concert going big time in preparation for this tour.. I was going to do Vegas, every home town show, Cinci and Met Life.. Now it is Vegas and only one of the two hometown shows.. Still hoping something changes.. Having ex members come out and guest for a few songs will be cool but still not cut it. There needs to be some permanent changes.

I am still hopeful things get better but not optimistic at this point and I am disappointed in Duff and Slash somewhat for letting it go down as it has..

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2

Personally, my excitement level and anticipation of going to the Vegas show could not have been higher. And nothing about it disappointed me. It was just a fuckin blast of a weekend, great great show, met so many cool GnR fans, had just an unbelievable weekend with my girlfriend in Vegas.

There's no way I could possibly stay as excited as I was for Vegas for the entire time until I see them again in KC 6/29. But I got actually pretty fired up again periscoping the first Axl/DC show and how awesome that sounded.

But the level is building for me again as KC is only a little more than a month away. I'm gonna just have a blast again, not knowing if that's the last time I ever see GnR... After that show is over, I will probably feel bummed somewhat. 

I guess what I'm saying is, interest/ excitement ebbs and flows for me in this deal. But I'm far from ready to say any kind of "novelty" has worn off. Oh, fuck no!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Illusion line-up had Stradlin my friend. 'Dust N' Bones', '14 Years', 'You Ain't the First' - those songs did not materialise from thin air.

And many bands had members that suddenly left and they recorded more albums that got accepted by the majority of the fan base.

Come on now... if Axl, Slash, and Duff managed to put together an album with Gilby that was actually good, I think it would have been accepted by many Guns fans. It remains to be seen if this line up can do it, but after Izzy left, people still considered it to be Guns N' Roses, not just casuals mind you, hardcore Gn'R fans. The current line up is as much Guns as it was after Izzy left with Gilby and Sorum as Frank played on Chinese, as well as Fortus which is something Gilby never had a chance to do on original material.

Just now, Rovim said:

And many bands had members that suddenly left and they recorded more albums that got accepted by the majority of the fan base.

Come on now... if Axl, Slash, and Duff managed to put together an album with Gilby that was actually good, I think it would have been accepted by many Guns fans. It remains to be seen if this line up can do it, but after Izzy left, people still considered it to be Guns N' Roses, not just casuals mind you, hardcore Gn'R fans. The current line up is as much Guns as it was after Izzy left with Gilby and Sorum as Frank played on Chinese, as well as Fortus which is something Gilby never had a chance to do on original material.

The Gilby line-up played 138 shows on GN'R's biggest ever tour, and recorded a covers studio album. This line-up has done nothing much of consequence.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yet most people accepted the UYI line up. It's Axl, Duff, and Slash again. You act as if no other hard rock band in the history of mankind has replaced members and continued to make music under the same band name.

The Illusions line up also had the drummer that played in the albums and the band sounded fantastic.. This one just doesn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Gilby line-up played 138 shows on GN'R's biggest ever tour, and recorded a covers studio album. This line-up has done nothing much of consequence.

Give it time... it's kinda nu.

With the kind of money they can make, I'd say there's a good chance they'll want to reach 138 shows together and surpass that as soon as they can. You're judging them on something they did not do or had a chance to do, but they intend to do it.

It seems that you've got nothing to support your opinion with Daisy. Just saying.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

Give it time... it's kinda nu.

With the kind of money they can make, I'd say there's a good chance they'll want to reach 138 shows together and surpass that as soon as they can. You're judging them on something they did not do or had a chance to do, but they intend to do it.

It seems that you've got nothing to support your opinion Daisy. Just saying.

In actual fact, if you look hard enough, I found some positives in their performance on the second Vegas show, and said that they may gel when they are mid-tour, however I can only judge the shows that have actually been played, and I'm never going to be very impressed with greatest hits cash jobs of any description - they would win me around with a couple of decent new songs added to the setlist.

2 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Personally, my excitement level and anticipation of going to the Vegas show could not have been higher. And nothing about it disappointed me. It was just a fuckin blast of a weekend, great great show, met so many cool GnR fans, had just an unbelievable weekend with my girlfriend in Vegas.

There's no way I could possibly stay as excited as I was for Vegas for the entire time until I see them again in KC 6/29. But I got actually pretty fired up again periscoping the first Axl/DC show and how awesome that sounded.

But the level is building for me again as KC is only a little more than a month away. I'm gonna just have a blast again, not knowing if that's the last time I ever see GnR... After that show is over, I will probably feel bummed somewhat. 

I guess what I'm saying is, interest/ excitement ebbs and flows for me in this deal. But I'm far from ready to say any kind of "novelty" has worn off. Oh, fuck no!

Totally agree with this. High level excitement isn't sustainable long term, something as massive for this community as the 3 main players in GNR reuniting was always going to have a come down to earth moment at some point.

I accept I can't quite re-live the build up of the Troubadour or Vegas shows but i'm looking forward to seeing Axl/DC and for the summer GNR shows especially as Axl's foot should be on the mend by then.

• Like 1

The novelty is still very much in tact. The original disbelief excitement has sort of waned but overall Im still anticipating the tour and definitely my show in San Diego. Like most others are saying - AC/DC is kind of stealing the spotlight right now but in a few weeks thats going to change and Im sure the interest will be rekindled for a good majority of fans if they currently feel that the fire has died down. Time will tell.

As far as the original five getting back together - I really dont care whether Steven does any shows with them or not; guest spot or otherwise. Izzy would be cool but he is the one former member saying he doesnt WANT to do it. He didnt say he wasnt asked like Matt. He specifically stated he does not wish to be involved. From what I recall in the past he has also said he has no interest in huge tours either. With that said, I dont see why the 30th anniversary of AFD would be cause to get the original line up together. Im pretty certain the guys dont see it that way, that theyre not thinking they should all get together and do some major original line up tour right after the regrouping of Axl, Slash and Duff just because its the 30th anniversary.

Lets wait and find out...

37 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

You didn't need Diesel's help for that to happen.

Point being you got something that as a GnR fan, presumably, is a good thing, after so many barren years i would've thought you'd be at least a little pleased.

13 hours ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

The Troubadour show, and the first two Vegas shows were as amazing and exciting as any time for me as a GN'R fan...But after that, the novelty has kind of worn off for me. Yes, Axl, Slash and Duff are back together, but it seems very "by the numbers", there doesn't seem to be a high level of chemistry or enthusiasm with this lineup, compared to say, the 1993 end of the UYI high energy shows....Don't get me wrong, I love having Slash back, and I would buy ten copies of a new album this lineup made as it would be a dream come true. But compare Axl's level of enthusiasm and even the voice factor with his performances with AC/DC to Guns...Compare the overall energy and chemistry between the two groups at present. I just wonder if this is just awkwardness due to 20 years of separation and animosity, or if their hearts are truly in it? I mean, seeing Coma live for the first time in 23 years was one of the most incredible, spine tingling musical events of my whole life...But, outside of that, it just feels like the novelty of this thing has vanished, both in myself and in what I see in the band...

If they released even just one single new song, I'd be over the moon. But....it just feels by the book.

Anyone else feeling the same?

not for me! I am looking forward to the summer tour and maybe going to see them again ( saw their first show in Vegas and it literally was a life altering  event ). I am fascinated with Axl in AC/DC right now but am dying to see him back with Slash and Duff when the tour starts this summer. I think it will just keep getting better and better and hopefully with the time they spend together it will inspire them them to write some great new songs!:headbang:

41 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And then what if Paul McCartney decides to join The Rolling Stones on an European tour, replacing Mick Jagger. And what if Paul McCartney sings much better for The Stones than The Beatles, and all the Beatlemaniacs go, ''why can't he sing that way for us?''.

Well cuz hes dead obviously, i mean he had no shoes on the zebra crossing, what more proof do you need? :lol:

1 minute ago, Len B'stard said:

Point being you got something that as a GnR fan, presumably, is a good thing, after so many barren years i would've thought you'd be at least a little pleased.

I don't think that reflects the majority of fans here. Most seem really excited about it. Always a few Debbie Downers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Inglorious said:

The novelty is still very much in tact. The original disbelief excitement has sort of waned but overall Im still anticipating the tour and definitely my show in San Diego. Like most others are saying - AC/DC is kind of stealing the spotlight right now but in a few weeks thats going to change and Im sure the interest will be rekindled for a good majority of fans if they currently feel that the fire has died down. Time will tell.

As far as the original five getting back together - I really dont care whether Steven does any shows with them or not; guest spot or otherwise. Izzy would be cool but he is the one former member saying he doesnt WANT to do it. He didnt say he wasnt asked like Matt. He specifically stated he does not wish to be involved. From what I recall in the past he has also said he has no interest in huge tours either. With that said, I dont see why the 30th anniversary of AFD would be cause to get the original line up together. Im pretty certain the guys dont see it that way, that theyre not thinking they should all get together and do some major original line up tour right after the regrouping of Axl, Slash and Duff just because its the 30th anniversary.

Lets wait and find out...

Evidence?

13 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The Illusions line up also had the drummer that played in the albums and the band sounded fantastic.. This one just doesn't.

more drummer posts from you, ugh.... give it up, we get it! :facepalm:

It's not pessism on my part. For myself, it was a dream for years, seeing the dynamic duo together again. And unlike some, I wasn't opposed to it because Frank and Fortus are there. Izzy/Gilby and Steven/Matt would've been preferred but it didn't spoil it for me. Like I said, Coma, for the first time, was spine tingling. But the lack of press, the lack of anything that makes it seem like the band is into it, is what's killed it for me. You see Axl giving say, 70%, 80% to GN'R's long awaited reunion, and then going 110% and giving some of the best shows since perhaps even the 80s for AC/DC - that kills it for me. You see him doing interviews and acting like a band member with them and taking a group photo and being all enthusiastic, while GN'R is operating pretty much the same way "NuGNR" did, with complete silence about anything...That also kills it for me. I see Slash walking around the stage, yeah he head bangs once in a while but he doesn't seem like, INTO it. And while I like Richar a lot as a guitar player, he and Slash do have a very awkward chemistry. I don't care about Frank. But...It just feels like a lead balloon especially in comparison to AC/DC. I don't like AC/DC normally yet somehow, Axl/DC is more exciting to me than a semi-reunion of three of my favorite musicians of all time. I wasn't looking to be disappointed; this is what I was dreaming of for years. It could be handled a lot better. I don't understand what's stopping them from even doing a short, safe interview or posing for a professional portrait or acting like it's anything beyond a business deal.

• Like 2

Any memory from the NUGNR era needs to be dropped for this to feel right. Frank and Fortus need to be fired, and CD material needs to be buried.

Until any of this happens, this will continue to be NUGNR with special guest Slash. I don't even count Duff because he had already joined NUGNR for several dates in the past, so the novelty with him ended a while back.

At this point I would be willing to compromise with Matt Sorum and Gilby.

I went to troubadour, both vegas shows and coachella. I felt burnout after vegas mostly from the fact that coachella cost so much damn money to stay at for 3 days & was a horrible venue to watch them. I got pit tixs to 3 dates this summer and still pretty pumped about everything.