GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

48 minutes ago, Padme said:

Ok, but why insiting with his ex wife? Why wasn't he looking for a new relationship with some other woman other than Erin? The only reasons I can find are: 1) He was still inlove with Erin 2) Stephanie's kid was too important to him. He wanted the kid to stay. So he needed Stephanie to stay

He knew she loved him still. He knew her, after all, that was his longest relationship, they tried to have kids together. And probably yes, he had feelings for her too.

It is all very confusing. Axl is confusing. He inmortalized his relationship with Erin in songs and videos so you gotta wonder why he did that.

Yeah, the kid may have played a role but only in his crazy mind could have he thought of keeping Stephanie only because of the kid.

29 minutes ago, dgnr said:

axl_and_dj_by_tianafinn-d4juuwz.jpg

I'm sorry...found this the other day...had to share :vomit:

omg :rofl-lol:

when I see Axl from the "nuGNR" era I can't help but seeing a grandpa :ph34r:

I need to unsee all the pics from those years!! :scared:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Somebody at the beginning of the GnR performance is holding up a sign that says 'Piss Off Axl' in green writing. I always thought that is why he yells "shove it!!" :lol:

Yes. It was a group from lesbian organization or something like that, I guess probably because of OIAM lyrics.

He was feeling down because of that and Duff went to comfort him :hug:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Somebody at the beginning of the GnR performance is holding up a sign that says 'Piss Off Axl' in green writing. I always thought that is why he yells "shove it!!" :lol:

Yup! Me too.

Also with regards to Axl and his behaviour towards women; notice that at the beginning of KOHD he sings a few line of "Only Women Bleed" (an interesting choice given the subject matter of the song). I wonder if Axl chose that song as the intro, and if so, why?

Man makes your hair gray
He's your life's mistake
All you're really lookin' for is an even break...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes. It was a group from lesbian organization or something like that, I guess probably because of OIAM lyrics.

He was feeling down because of that and Duff went to comfort him :hug:

I never knew that's who they were, I just thought it was typical English piss takers. You learn something all the time in here, thanks ?

2 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I never knew that's who they were, I just thought it was typical English piss takers. You learn something all the time in here, thanks ?

There was a whole thread with good information about this topic in the main section but I'm too lazy to look for it :unsure:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Yup! Me too.

Also with regards to Axl and his behaviour towards women; notice that at the beginning of KOHD he sings a few line of "Only Women Bleed" (an interesting choice given the subject matter of the song). I wonder if Axl chose that song as the intro, and if so, why?

Man makes your hair gray
He's your life's mistake

I always thought that was an interesting song for him to sing too.

Given the lyrics, I don't think any of the others would suggest it. Or if they did, it wouldn't even make it in to the set if Axl had a problem with it and he certainly wouldn't sing any part of it if he didn't want to. 

So I assume he likes that song and wanted it in the set. Maybe those lyric played on his mind, in some kind of way. 

On 13.12.2016 at 8:33 PM, killuridols said:

What Axl needed back then was institutionalization, rather than therapy. His case was really bad.

Having him locked up would have not been a good move because they needed him active and working. It was a time to be making money, shows, albums, videos.
The other guys were all into drugs and shit but they never failed a show.

Axl didn't believe in psychiatrist and pills and mental institutions so I don't think he wanted that either. He went the "psychics" way, charlatans, people who would cure his soul "magically".

Record company was about to change, remember what Axl said in the China Exchange conference. David Geffen knew he was going to sell it and the future of GN'R was already doomed after they finished the tour.

What could have benefitted them more, like Axl said, was creating their own record company and have a platform of their own to release whatever they wanted.

Instead, they had to release TSI just to not break a deal and once that was done, the rest is history.

Yeah, I didn't think you were talking about anything as serious as institutionalization. Obviously that wouldn't have been in the interests of the record company. What makes you say that though? Axl certainly was a mess and had some serious issues, but bad enough to have him locked up? I'm not sure.

I'm saying "have him locked up" because I doubt he'd have gone into residential treatment voluntarily back then. In 2002 he supposedly felt different about it (or desperate enough), but back then? I don't think so. Remember that discussion we had about Frances Farmer and the influence her life and the movie about her had on Axl? He was genuinely terrified of being lobotomized like her and really distrustful of psychiatrists and mainstream medicine in general.

On 10.12.2016 at 4:50 PM, marlingrl03 said:

You sure do mister! We love ya around here...you yourself also bring lots of intelligent insight to our discussion which is appreciated. :)

On 13.12.2016 at 8:26 PM, Rocketqueen76 said:

@Frey I have a small velvet box with your name on it LOL. The question of the record company purposely keeping Axl mentally off kilter is a very good one indeed. Was it somewhere contractually written that he couldn't seek help? Did they feel that his real pain provided better raw material for songs and music composition?

Maybe they tried and he refused? Whatever the case, I am very curious about the answers.

Flatterers, both of you ;)

1 hour ago, KiraMPD said:

Man makes your hair gray
He's your life's mistake

I think I (or someone else) brought this up once when we were discussing that video of Axl saying "I love you too" to Slash and trying to figure out what the hell was going on there (and we thought Duff was comforting Axl in that video too lol).

• Like 3

@Frey I remember the conversation about that song, because it was suggested Axl might have been upset with Slash for playing it, and maybe it was done to get at him because he also said "I know what that was about, Slash. I love you too" 

But it can't have been, because it was something that had already been in the set for some time, and I really don't think Axl would've sang the words had he not wanted to. 

We couldn't really find a reason why he would want that song in the set. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frey said:

I'm saying "have him locked up" because I doubt he'd have gone into residential treatment voluntarily back then. In 2002 he supposedly felt different about it (or desperate enough), but back then? I don't think so. Remember that discussion we had about Frances Farmer and the influence her life and the movie about her had on Axl? He was genuinely terrified of being lobotomized like her and really distrustful of psychiatrists and mainstream medicine in general.

Agreed. I would just like to add that one also has to consider the state and quality of mental healthcare provided in the late 80's/90's. I have little insight on it (especially since I was barely alive back then), but from the few case studies I have read... it wasn't great. There is also the general public perception to think about and the stigma that would be associated with being sectioned/forcibly institutionalised. Even today the stigma exists; just look at the different reactions people had to Selena Gomez talking about her issues during the AMAs to the reaction people had to Kanye West (quite obviously) having a breakdown on stage. Sure, people/the media a more willing to be sympathetic towards mental illness but only if you are functional and are willing to "bravely" talk about it on a public platform. *smh*

With regards to Axl specifically, I don't know if such an action would lead to a positive outcome for him. I could be argued that a majority of Axl's control issues stem from an oppressed past where he had little to non power or control over his own life. To then suddenly remove that power and autonomy might not have ended well...

"In high school, you know, Axl, he had long, red hair, he was a little guy and he got a lot of shit [because of it]. I think he never got laid, too, in school. I hate to bring this up cos this is getting nasty,” he laughs. “But he never got no pussy at school, Axl. So now the guy’s a big fucking rock star, he’s got the chicks lined up, he’s got money and he’s got people… and the power went to this guy’s head. I mean, he was a fucking monster! Nuts! Crazy!" ... "For [Axl] the money wasn't as big a deal. But he had this power thing where he wanted complete control. And you can say, well, it goes back to your fucked up childhood where his dad used to smack him around, you know, and he had no control, so now he’s getting it back." - Izzy Stradlin: Life And Death, Sex And Drugs And Guns N' Roses, originally appeared in Classic Rock #28, Link

1 hour ago, Frey said:

I think I (or someone else) brought this up once when we were discussing that video of Axl saying "I love you too" to Slash and trying to figure out what the hell was going on there (and we thought Duff was comforting Axl in that video too lol).

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Frey I remember the conversation about that song, because it was suggested Axl might have been upset with Slash for playing it, and maybe it was done to get at him because he also said "I know what that was about, Slash. I love you too" 

But it can't have been, because it was something that had already been in the set for some time, and I really don't think Axl would've sang the words had he not wanted to. 

Sounds interesting. I've always wondered about this... I'll try searching through the thread to find that discussion. Thanks! :) 

1 hour ago, Jane M. said:

Ashba thinks you all are demented.

The fuck is he wearing...? :blink:

Edited by KiraMPD
cuz... ya know... stuff.... >_>;;
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frey said:

Yeah, I didn't think you were talking about anything as serious as institutionalization. Obviously that wouldn't have been in the interests of the record company. What makes you say that though? Axl certainly was a mess and had some serious issues, but bad enough to have him locked up? I'm not sure.

That's what I said...

Axl didn't believe in the traditional treatment of diseases but does that make him right?

I think he was bad enough. He was out of control: every time he went into one of his rage outbursts he destroyed hotel rooms, tv sets, telephones, anything that was on his way. He attacked people at the shows and looked for fights on the street. Didn't he throw a girl down stairs for refusing to have sex with him? Didn't he attack the neighbor Gabriella Kantor with a bottle?
He overdosed on pills and threatened Erin with a gun, that he would kill himself if she didn't marry him.
He allegedly beated Erin up to hell, several times, sending her to the hospital, destroying all of her belongings, according to Meegan's testimony.

For much less than that people do get locked up (at least here).

But Axl was a different case, he was a "useful" nuts and there was money to be made with him- That's why instead of institutionalization he had so many "nannies" and people looking after him like Niven, Goldstein and all of their assistants. And he got that Susie London charlatan to do the regression therapy for him, while he was on the road.... I assume that's all the help they could give him without having to put him out of circulation.

Here I found a quote for you that clearly backs up my information-

INTERVIEW: It was expected of you. Everything l know about you and have read about you indicates that you believe you've got to look into your past, to dig into how you got where you were.

AXL: I've been doing a lot of emotional work since February of last year. l reached a point where l was basically dead and still breathIng. I didn't have enough energy to leave my bedroom and crawl to the kitchen to get something to eat. I had to find out why I was dead, and why I felt like l was dead. I had a lot of issues that I didn't really know about in my life and didn't understand how they affected me. I didn't realize that I felt certain ways toward women, toward men, toward people in general, and toward myself. The only way to get through that was to go back through it and find it and re-experience it and attempt to heal it. I'm still working on that but I'm a lot further along than I was.

INTERVIEW: It's a really slow process.

AXL: Yes, but I've done a lot of work in one year because of necessity. One, because l was miserable and suicidal and I realized I had to do this work or I would check out. Two, because we were trying to maintain our careers, deal with our lives, and record a record and put it out, and work the record. If I wasn't doing this work I wouldn't have been able to do the record. It's made things very hard over the last year, trying to do everything at once. Definitely my energies are on maximum. But to slow it down would mean having to stop doing something, and right now it's not really a smart move to do that. It's just been really hard, with a lot of misunderstanding, like, about why I'm late on stage or things like that.

http://gunsnroses.com.pl/forum/guns-n39-roses/interview-magazine-talks-to-axl-rose-may-1992/

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

From what I've read and heard it seems he didn't do it and that neighbor was a worse case than Axl.

It doesn't matter if she was worse than him. There was an altercation with violence included, probably on both parts.

It's still violence and crazy behavior.

5 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

Fuckin' hell, that escalated quickly...

This is my sorry attempt to bring some "positivity" back.... (sorry if it's been posted already and I ask of you all to excuse me if it already has been because this thread is >500 fuckin pages long!!! :lol:)

So here is an axluff(??) moment I noticed while watching the Knockin On Heaven's Door during the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert - at 1:30 Axl audibly places the mic stand on the stage in front of him, at 1:32 Duff turns towards Axl as though he noticed something was up and then of course the high-five/hand-holding at 1:40.

Just thought it was a sweet moment is all...

If I remember correctly, That interaction between Axl and Duff was him congratulating Axl for not going off on the Gay Rights activists who were heckling and were vocal in trying to get GNR thrown off the bill. 

33 minutes ago, killuridols said:

It doesn't matter if she was worse than him. There was an altercation with violence included, probably on both parts.

Apparently there was. He didn't hit her with the bottle though.

3 hours ago, Frey said:
4 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

Man makes your hair gray
He's your life's mistake

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Slash had been playing the Only Women Bleed intro since 1988 without Axl singing on it. Most likely Axl sang these lines for the first time at that particular show (06.07.91 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada)* we discussed (when he said "Fuck you Slash ... I love you too"). He didn't sing it on the next night's show. So maybe it had something to do with what Slash had said. From some point on though (I didn't look when exactly) he sang it at almost every show.

*There were 4 shows between Indiana and that one, but on a quick search I didn't find any video or audio of them.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Apparently there was. He didn't hit her with the bottle though.

Slash had been playing the Only Women Bleed intro since 1988 without Axl singing on it. Most likely Axl sang these lines for the first time at that particular show (06.07.91 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada)* we discussed (when he said "Fuck you Slash ... I love you too"). He didn't sing it on the next night's show. So maybe it had something to do with what Slash had said. From some point on though (I didn't look when exactly) he sang it at almost every show.

*There were 4 shows between Indiana and that one, but on a quick search I didn't find any video or audio of them.

He sang it at the Indiana show before that one

Which I believe is before the show when Axl had a go at Slash?

And there was only me here that thought Axl was upset at Slash, everyone else said he was joking :lol:

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, killuridols said:

When it comes to love, each case is different and we can't really compare stories because each couple have their own history and their own inner workings and lots of shit people from the outside never know. So probably your friend loves his gf or maybe he's just a crazy guy. We will never know about that.

The sociopath thing is something @Blackstar put on the table and I backed off from it because, as I said, I don't feel I can label him like that (he or anyone), I'm not psychiatrist but all in all, it is understood that we are sharing opinions here and that's all about it.

I'm sorry you are confused. Maybe try to read each response and follow the thread of the discussion paying more attention :shrugs:

Definitely each case is different; I was just using my friend as an example as to show that just because you might go to great lengths trying to do things that other might perceive as weird and creepy, but that you might actually honestly believe will have a good outcome, it doesn't mean you are creepy or that your intentions necessarily are, either, or that your supposed feelings are just lies or delusions. Get what I mean? I know I'm expressing myself quite incoherently right now, pre-coffee, you know? And hungover. 

And I get that you backed off from it, I think I saw that as well? Idk I never really reflect on who says what in threads, only what they say. Anyway, all good, right? 

5 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

He sang it at the Indiana show before that one

Which I believe is before the show when Axl had a go at Slash?

And there was only me here that thought Axl was upset at Slash, everyone else said he was joking :lol:

Yes, thanks for the Indiana video. I thought I remembered that show and I didn't bother checking it. So Axl had sung it since the beginning of the UYI tour.

I too (and others, iirc) thought that Axl was really upset because he immediately walked off when Duff sat beside him. Then @Asia said she was sure Axl was joking because she had watched the video with Slash's speech/dedication.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm sure he was joking, that dedication was some half-assed Slash's style apology, I think. Not sure what for cause the sound quality was awful but I guess it had to do with Slash being high and fucking up during some previous show.

As for making another Slaxl video - well I'd love to but to be honset, so far so good, I don't think the Slaxl footage available from this tour is Slaxl enough to really bother... Still hoping somewhat that this will change but my hope is seriously thinning now...

Edited by Asia
  • Like 2