Hello.... and theory about media blackout.....

Hi. I think they are going to do a documentary as well. It would be cool. Btw, MetLife is in the Meadowlands. That hasn't changed. Here in NJ, we still know it as the Meadowlands as well.  The Meadowlands is a swamp. What changed was the stadium. They knocked down the old Giants Stadium and built MetLife. I miss the old stadium. It had a lot more character than MetLife Stadium. 

• Like 1

This tour has been fucking magic imo. 

Anyways, I definitely think the media blackout is because they don't want anything stirring potential problems and bringing up old stuff. They could do a controlled interview or talk show , but whatever. At this point , it doesn't matter and they probably wont

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlCole said:

I'm a long time GnR fan.  They pretty much changed my entire life when I became a fan in 1988 at 15 years old.  I almost immediately took up the guitar and became a musician as a result.  Got to see them 3 time in the early 90s.  Once at the Spectrum in Philly with Soundgarden opening (not too long after Izzy left... which was really a bummer), once in Boston with Brian May opening on what was called the 'Dust and Bones' leg of the tour (because they dropped the backing singers and horns), and once with Metallica and Faith No More at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. 

It was actually called the "Skin N' Bones" tour and I was at that Boston show too. I have been to hundreds of concerts over the years and that still to this day is my all time favorite.  The energy in that place was just off the charts. It was St Patty's day in Boston for one so it was a giant party and Gn'R were at their peak.. The tension during the near riot was so heavy.. The band and Axl were in top form that tour as well. They were just fucking tight. Probably the tightest the band has ever been. Reckless Life and Nice Boys the same show? What!?!?!

You're Gn'R concert story started if similar to me. I saw Gilby's first show the tour Soundgarden opened.. Second show was with Faith No More and Metallica and then the the St Patty's Day show..

I did go see NuGnR once and it seemed more of a sick joke.. Axl looked like a clown but he did sound great and was all over the place.. He still had it.. The band on the other hand looked like a bunch of circus freaks and they just lost the special vibe the classic lineups had.. Not too mention the DJ's, NunChuck Solos and Toy give away.. wtf? lol They were just on the opposite end of the spectrum of the dirty rock n' roll band that I fell in love with..

Glad that is over and there are at least 3 of them back playing again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Hi. I think they are going to do a documentary as well. It would be cool. Btw, MetLife is in the Meadowlands. That hasn't changed. Here in NJ, we still know it as the Meadowlands as well.  The Meadowlands is a swamp. What changed was the stadium. They knocked down the old Giants Stadium and built MetLife. I miss the old stadium. It had a lot more character than MetLife Stadium. 

I'm originally from Jersey as well (Trenton/Hamilton Township/Mercerville area), but I moved to Boston for a year when I was 18, and then to NY when I was 19, and have been in either Manhattan or Brooklyn since.  My wife (also from Jersey) and I couldn't figure out if the MetLife was just a new name and renovations or a whole new stadium, so thanks for clearing that up for me (we actually just saw Paul McCartney their last night.... Got tickets on stubhub and went on a whim..... I can't imagine I'll ever see GnR and Sir Paul do Live and Let Die at the same exact stadium two weeks apart ever again in my life!).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It was actually called the "Skin N' Bones" tour and I was at that Boston show too. I have been to hundreds of concerts over the years and that still to this day is my all time favorite.  The energy in that place was just off the charts. It was St Patty's day in Boston for one so it was a giant party and Gn'R were at their peak.. The tension during the near riot was so heavy.. The band and Axl were in top form that tour as well. They were just fucking tight. Probably the tightest the band has ever been. Reckless Life and Nice Boys the same show? What!?!?!

You're Gn'R concert story started if similar to me. I saw Gilby's first show the tour Soundgarden opened.. Second show was with Faith No More and Metallica and then the the St Patty's Day show..

I did go see NuGnR once and it seemed more of a sick joke.. Axl looked like a clown but he did sound great and was all over the place.. He still had it.. The band on the other hand looked like a bunch of circus freaks and they just lost the special vibe the classic lineups had.. Not too mention the DJ's, NunChuck Solos and Toy give away.. wtf? lol They were just on the opposite end of the spectrum of the dirty rock n' roll band that I fell in love with..

Glad that is over and there are at least 3 of them back playing again.

Yes! Skin n bones! God, I would have never remembered that.  I _do_ definitely remember Axl walking out, and be worried about a riot, but then one of them came back out.... I forget who.... and was like "Ok we convinced him to come back out so sit tight, but he's going to talk for a little bit first" or something like that. And then Axl came out and lectured us for what I seem to feel was like 15 minutes or so. I don't remember Nice Boys or Reckless, or that it was St. Patties Day, but I do remember it snowing pretty bad after the show and I didn't have much of a jacket and I think the T was closed, so I thought I was going to freeze to death but luckily I got a cab somehow (I lived near Fenway Park).  I _do_ remember them bringing a couch out in the middle of the set and doing an acoustic set.  I was also pretty excited to see Brian May as I'm a huge Queen fan (even have their logo tattooed on my upper left arm).

Axl also left maybe two thirds of the way through the show I saw with Metallica, but everyone was so exhausted after having seeing Metallica and then waiting a billion hours for Guns to start that we all just sheepishly shuffled out. Not even a hint of a riot.  I thought I remembered the reason being because someone threw a bottle at Duff, but then I recently found a wrote up about the show and they said Axl walked off because his throat hurt or something like that, so my memory must be off.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AxlCole said:

Yes! Skin n bones! God, I would have never remembered that.  I _do_ definitely remember Axl walking out, and be worried about a riot, but then one of them came back out.... I forget who.... and was like "Ok we convinced him to come back out so sit tight, but he's going to talk for a little bit first" or something like that. And then Axl came out and lectured us for what I seem to feel was like 15 minutes or so. I don't remember Nice Boys or Reckless, or that it was St. Patties Day, but I do remember it snowing pretty bad after the show and I didn't have much of a jacket and I think the T was closed, so I thought I was going to freeze to death but luckily I got a cab somehow (I lived near Fenway Park).  I _do_ remember them bringing a couch out in the middle of the set and doing an acoustic set.  I was also pretty excited to see Brian May as I'm a huge Queen fan (even have their logo tattooed on my upper left arm).

Yeah Axl was gone for quite awhile.. Right after the second song Nice Boys he was like "put a light on..somebody put a light on.. Have a good fuckin night"..  It was his body guard Earl that was talking to the crowd off and on.. He even walked around the stadium while we were waiting to see what happened and he walked right behind my row and I shook his hand. When Axl finally came back people started booing him but he handled it well. The show is out there on Youtube and stuff.  It isn't great quality but you can hear most of the incident. They edit out all the time we were just waiting but Axl was gonna for a long time. It was starting to get pretty fucking rowdy.

Like I said they edit out the 20-30 minutes we were waiting but you can hear Axl and Earl addressing the crowd.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2

Whatever issues were between Slash and Axl the last 20 years were personal. Very personal. There was some deep rooted hatred there, on Axl's side at least. It wasn't simply disagreeing over the direction of the album. It could be too personal for them to walk to talk publicly about....plus, as interesting as I'd find a documentary about the true story, if they've made up and put it in the past, it's best to leave it there.  

Last summer/fall, when the news of the possibility of GNR reuniting started to gain steam, I read some article where some guy who was supposedly in the know claimed that a big reason why Axl and Slash fell out was over Michael Jackson. 

He claimed that Axl, having been a victim of child sexual abuse himself, felt betrayed and angered that Slash would work with Michael Jackson after the allegations of MJ abusing kids was known. Axl allegedly couldn't get past it, and as a result, it played a major factor in the split. 

1 hour ago, Tiffani said:

Last summer/fall, when the news of the possibility of GNR reuniting started to gain steam, I read some article where some guy who was supposedly in the know claimed that a big reason why Axl and Slash fell out was over Michael Jackson. 

He claimed that Axl, having been a victim of child sexual abuse himself, felt betrayed and angered that Slash would work with Michael Jackson after the allegations of MJ abusing kids was known. Axl allegedly couldn't get past it, and as a result, it played a major factor in the split. 

1 hour ago, Tiffani said:

If there was any truth to that I doubt Axl would've publicly named MJ as one of his all time favourite singers recently. 

• Like 2

I don't think it was one big thing between Axl and Slash. More like a many day to day simple things and stuff. They both spoke about being different persons and having problems just getting along.

Slash described it best in RS interview in 1991.

As long as I've known Axl, we've had so many differences that have been like the end of the line as far as we were concerned. I think that happens with most singers and guitar players, or whatever that cliché is. It might look a little intense on the outside, seeing all this shit that we're going through, but it makes for a tension that's — in a morbid kind of way — really conducive to the music we collaborate on. But as far as Axl goes, he is the best singer-lyricist around.

Aabout media silence - it makes perfect sense. The stakes are high with this reunion that is happening against all odds, with a lot of really bad blood in the past.

Why would they risk bringing up old problems and feuds that could break them up again?

I would bet there's a lot of stuff they never really resolved but just decided to let go for the sake of getting along. Axl might not still consider Slash to be a cancer, but he probably does still believe he was right about everything and Slash was wrong. So it's probably better that he doesn't open up and talk about it.

I agree that the docu is a remote possibility, talking a little would maybe be more damaging in the long run then not talking at all because it would open to all kind of speculation and them talking in details about what happened it's not a possibility, it's their relationship, after all 

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah Axl was gone for quite awhile.. Right after the second song Nice Boys he was like "put a light on..somebody put a light on.. Have a good fuckin night"..  It was his body guard Earl that was talking to the crowd off and on.. He even walked around the stadium while we were waiting to see what happened and he walked right behind my row and I shook his hand. When Axl finally came back people started booing him but he handled it well. The show is out there on Youtube and stuff.  It isn't great quality but you can hear most of the incident. They edit out all the time we were just waiting but Axl was gonna for a long time. It was starting to get pretty fucking rowdy.

Like I said they edit out the 20-30 minutes we were waiting but you can hear Axl and Earl addressing the crowd.

Wow, this is awesome!  I can't believe it exists!  I'll give a listen later, thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiffani said:

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

If there was any truth to that I doubt Axl would've publicly named MJ as one of his all time favourite singers recently. 

It is true, at least if you believe Marc Canter.

Marc Canter said in the recent BBC documentary that Axl was upset about Slash working with someone that Axl considered a child molestor. Considering Axl's childhood and everything I dont find this hard to believe.

I don't think this is the main reason why Axl was upset with Slash, but I do think it's one of many.

9 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Whatever issues were between Slash and Axl the last 20 years were personal. Very personal. There was some deep rooted hatred there, on Axl's side at least. It wasn't simply disagreeing over the direction of the album. It could be too personal for them to walk to talk publicly about....plus, as interesting as I'd find a documentary about the true story, if they've made up and put it in the past, it's best to leave it there.  

Even Steven Tyler said thar Axl's and Slash's issues are very, very personal and that he therefore can't talk about it.

Edited by Frey

3 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

I can tell you why there is a media blackout about it, because they are grown men and it's none of your fucking business.  Literally no good can come of it.  Best case scenario: a collective 'awww, isn't that cute?' by fans, worst case scenario: a bunch of bullshit and misinterpretation and misconstruing...the former isn't worth risking in case the latter happens.  A musicians responsibility towards his audience is playing music, not divulging the tittle tattle surrounding how or why they are together. 

And really, if you genuinely like bands and the music they make etc, try to avoid such gossip, it is girlie and counter-productive.  i mean it's one thing when a band is done and dusted and these details come out, you don't need to know this shit, it doesn't serve any purpose besides prurient voyeurism, not everybody wants to live their life like a Kardashian or some other kind of cheap reality TV star.  I respect em for it.

Relax, man, no need to get confrontational.  I don't _need_ to know, but I'd _like_ to know, because I'm a huge fan and thus find it fascinating, so I'm curious.  I'm not talking about 'gossip', I'm talking about them telling things in their own words.  Anyone who claims they don't want to know about the workings of the bands they love... what they're thinking, what they're going through, etc etc... but they've ever bought a music magazine to read an interview they've given, or an article about them, is a hypocrite, and I'll go out on a limb and say almost everyone has. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiffani said:

I remember reading that as well, but I recall it being shot down pretty quickly by someone credible, but I forget who.

Edited by AxlCole

5 minutes ago, Frey said:

Marc Canter said in the recent BBC documentary that Axl was upset about Slash working with someone that Axl considered a child molestor. Considering Axl's childhood and everything I dont find this hard to believe.

I don't think this is the main reason why Axl was upset with Slash, but I do think it's one of many.

Even Steven Tyler said thar Axl's and Slash's issues are very, very personal and that he therefore can't talk about it.

Did Marc say that?  I met him last year when my wife and I went to L.A. and put together sort of a little GnR tour for ourselves (visited the "Welcome to the Jungle" corner, shit like that), and I might have asked him if I'd realized.  He was really nice.

7 minutes ago, AxlCole said:

Relax, man, no need to get confrontational.  I don't _need_ to know, but I'd _like_ to know, because I'm a huge fan and thus find it fascinating, so I'm curious.  I'm not talking about 'gossip', I'm talking about them telling things in their own words.  Anyone who claims they don't want to know about the workings of the bands they love... what they're thinking, what they're going through, etc etc... but they've ever bought a music magazine to read an interview they've given, or an article about them, is a hypocrite, and I'll go out on a limb and say almost everyone has. 

I wasnt being confrontational, I just have a foul mouth, apologies :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frey said:
6 hours ago, Tiffani said:

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Doug Goldstein said it as well in a 2015 interview.

I agree that this story may be true, but not Axl's biggest issue with Slash; otherwise, he would have said something at least hinting to it.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Doug Goldstein said it as well in a 2015 interview.

I agree that this story may be true, but not Axl's biggest issue with Slash; otherwise, he would have said something at least hinting to it.

Right.  It is the Doug Goldstein one that I recall.... I didn't know Cantor said so as well.  I wish I could remember who shot it down, as I seem to recall it being someone who I thought would 'know' more so than Goldstein.

Either way, I am fully convinced that they are getting along, and even like each other, now, and it's not a 'we hate each other but will do this for the money' situation.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  I agree with what someone else said here that they just decided to let a lot of stuff from the past go, and sort of 'agree to disagree' or whatever.  That makes the most sense, and I think was kind of apparent from what Axl said in that Chinese Exchange interview about their phone call.  I also really believe that, even throughout the falling out period where they didn't talk for decades, despite what they said in the press they deep down loved and respected each other but were simply extremely hurt.  I don't believe either of them actually _hated_ the other outside of being similar to the way a child says "I hate you mommy!" out of anger.... clearly the child doesn't hate their mother, they're just angry.  That's how I always _hoped_ it was, and the reunion seem to confirm that, at least for me.  I'm not so sure that will result in actual new music.... as I think the difference of philosophy in both how to write and record a record is one of their biggest points of contention, at least judging from the past going all the way back to the Illusion records....  but I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that they prove me wrong as I'd be just unbelievably thrilled to hear them collaborate on some new music.

So, fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Even in all the years they were not talking they were completely obsessed wih each other. They were never just colleagues or indifferent towards each other.

@Blackstar How do you quote someone without losing the earlier quotes by somebody else? Everytime I quote a post it only quotes what that specific poster wrote, but not any other posters that were already quoted in the post.

• Like 1