NEW INTERVIEW: Axl and Duff Interviewed by Brazilian TV: "Where's Izzy" / "How did the reunion come about" / "New album" all discussed

1 hour ago, Italian girl said:

I can't name any valuable song written by Izzy alone, after gnr....

:)

id say there are 2 possible explanations for that

#1 - you have not listened to all of izzy's songs -- well, then you are missing out - big time!

#2 - you have listened to all of izzy's songs -- well, then you are, huh... helpless!

(there is probably nothing much that i can say or do to, uh... help you!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Italian girl said:

I can't name any valuable song written by Izzy alone, after gnr....

:)

I do not know if that is because you have not listened to Stradlin much but let me say that ''Gotta Say'' is as perfect a ballad as ''Patience'',

I actually listen to Stradlin's solo stuff far more than Guns N' Roses these days. In fact, and I'll probably be criticised for this, I don't listen to Guns N' Roses full stuff these days haha!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

drove, easy, chop away, sweet caress, rolling on, gotta say, raven, partly cloud, seems to me, shuffle it all, tijuana, old tune, baby rann

there is more -- five star top class rock n roll

btw I don't mind. he was the past. I live the present and the present is "the big three". I'm happy this way.

Edited by Italian girl

I love Guns n roses (80's to 93) songs to death but Izzy's solo work is pretty great and usually overlooked, I listen to it as much as I listen to GnR. His album with the Jujus is a treasure full of great songs (Shuffle it all, Train tracks, How will it go, Somebody knockin'... and the Pressure drop cover is one of my favs ever) and 117º is a pretty good rock album too. Although he's been kinda irregular, he has a lot of great great songs of his own.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Riddick Bowe said:

Shuffle it all....but that's the only one i can think of

That whole Ju Ju's album is money, I love it!

117 degrees had some really good songs. Ain't that a bitch, Old Hat, Here Before You, Up Jumped The Devil.. 

River had some, I really like Jump In Now..

After that I have heard some really good things but I don't buy digital and that is all he does now. I heard Like A Dog was great..

8 hours ago, RONIN said:

You don't get it, do you? Izzy Stradlin' is the principal songwriter of the band. The so called big 3 NEED him to actually make a real GnR album. Otherwise you basically have Axl's bloated ballads and Slash's cock rock driving any future album with no rock n' roll element to ground them. They need Izzy to provide the foundation for them to build on. Without him, they crashed and burned after the UYI tour -- nu guns and velvet revolver are a piss stain compared to real guns. 25 fucking years of this shit -- you'd think those 3 would have learned how valuable Izzy is to the band.

I love Izzy, his songs and his solo career but hey, lets see what the guys can do without him and if its that bad... Then we can throw in everyones faces that yeah, they need Izzy. :lol:

I like Chinese as an Axl solo album (or half of the songs on it) and I kind of thrust Axl when it comes to new music as I know he will never release anything generic, I DONT thrust Slash and Duff anymore as they sold out to mainstream rock music (nothing wrong with that, just not to my ears). The only true rock n roll album these two have dropped are Five O'clock and Believe in Me, after that... they went to teenage mamma's boy jumping rock. 

So lets see what happens, I'm curious about what they can do without Izzy.

44 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That whole Ju Ju's album is money, I love it!

117 degrees had some really good songs. Ain't that a bitch, Old Hat, Here Before You, Up Jumped The Devil.. 

River had some, I really like Jump In Now..

After that I have heard some really good things but I don't buy digital and that is all he does now. I heard Like A Dog was great..

On Down the Road is a little gem of an album (it has a crazy horse cover). Japanese only unfortunately. Of the downloaded ones, Like A Dog is probably the best but I also like Miami.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlCole said:

I love Izzy, and overall agree they'd be even stronger and perhaps make an even better record with him in the mix, but to assert that he is the 'principal' songwriter and that a record without him writing would somehow be lacking, or could not be great, is a bit over the top.

Civil War
Yesterdays
Get in the Ring
Shotgun Blues
Breakdown
Locomotive
So Fine
Estranged
November Rain
The Garden
Garden of Eden
Don't Damn Me
Dead Horse
Coma

All of those songs were written without Izzy, would have made a fantastic record, and by no means are the all 'cock rock' or 'bloated ballads'.

Half of that list were never or hardly ever played live.  There is a reason for that.

7 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Half of that list were never or hardly ever played live.  There is a reason for that.

Yes, there is a reason for that: it's called 'translation'.  Speaking from experience, the reason you choose which songs you play live is... outside of if they are hit singles.... usually based on whether or not you think they translate well live vs their recorded versions, and has little to do with whether you think they are your 'best' songs or not.  Mind you, this is not a list of 'b' material from the Illusion records, or 'filler'.  They're largely songs that are generally considered to be some of the best on the records. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

You are kidding? That is some of the worst songs from the old band: Get in the Ring; Shotgun Blues; The Garden; Garden of Eden!

I strongly disagree.  Outside of "Get in the Ring", which I like but don't 'love', the other 3 are among my favorites on those records, and are all very well written.

Just now, AxlCole said:

I strongly disagree.  Outside of "Get in the Ring", which I like but don't 'love', the other 3 are among my favorites on those records, and are all very well written.

Well you are entitled to your opinion but those songs regularly feature near the bottom when we conduct polls here on 'favourite gnr songs'' and such like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well you are entitled to your opinion but those songs regularly feature near the bottom when we conduct polls here on 'favourite gnr songs'' and such like.

Lucky for me I don't judge good songwriting by what a random internet poll in a fan forum yields, I judge it based on years of studying the subject and doing it, and, as always with anything involved in this, a good helping of my personal opinion. 

Also: there is a whole big world out there outside of these forums.  And at least based on my decades of fandom and talking GnR with folks in the real world, those 3 songs are pretty well loved and respected (Get in the Ring, again, gets more of a mixed reaction).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Yes, there is a reason, or, to be accurate, reasons, because each case is different. And the reasons are not that they are bad songs.

Locomotive and Don't Damn Me are very very difficult songs to be sung live, more difficult than Coma (the live performances of Locomotive and Coma in 1991-92 are indicative of that).

Get In The Ring is another story. They made the mistake to personalize it, and they would have been ridiculed if they had kept on challenging Bob Guccione Jr to "get in the ring" while they hadn't had the intention to do it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

I mean, for heaven's sake, when you're conducting a poll in a place like this, you're also talking a good helping of people who for years denounced much of the original line up and thought Bucket Head and Bumble Foot were where GnR started and ended, so pardon me if I don't put much stock in these polls.

1 minute ago, AxlCole said:

Lucky for me I don't judge good songwriting by what a random internet poll in a fan forum yields, I judge it based on years of studying the subject and doing it, and, as always with anything involved in this, a good helping of my personal opinion. 

Also: there is a whole big world out there outside of these forums.  And at least based on my decades of fandom and talking GnR with folks in the real world, those 3 songs are pretty well loved and respected (Get in the Ring, again, gets more of a mixed reaction).

I cannot fathom anyone loving and respecting 'Shotgun Blues' beyond Slash's leads.