NEW INTERVIEW: Axl and Duff Interviewed by Brazilian TV: "Where's Izzy" / "How did the reunion come about" / "New album" all discussed

8 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

If I get it right, at 2:33 the interviewer says "Slash is doubtful about appearing", so we almost got the 3 together.

Those pieces of the interview are also in the long version, except here we can hear Axl saying the whole reunion thing started in 2014. Most people were thinking it stared last year so it's good to have that clarified. It makes more sense to me because Bumblefoot claimed he already knew and also Todd Kerns said they were told by Slash some time ago, so it couldn't be in late 2015.

omg!!!

On 5-9-2016 at 8:34 AM, GibsonLP said:

Kind of reminded me of the making of Don't Cry video where Axl talks about the Izzy situation and how Izzy didn't want to be there, at least on the terms that existed between them. Although they're having issues you really have to give Axl credit, he doesn't shit on people. They may not be seeing eye to eye but Axl doesn't call names or tell stories.

I really want Izzy there, not only is he an essential component of the band chemistry I think it would be good for Axl. You can tell when relationships are strained that it takes a toll on him and his energy

I can give you about a hundred examples of shows where Axl shits all over Izzy in public ...

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No. Google something like "Slash twitter happy birthday Axl" and you'll see it. And Axl said in the interview that he asked for Slash's number and called him.

I think the contention is Axl may have akresdy called Slash before Slash wished Axl happy birthday.  There's plenty of evidence that a reunion was in the works prior to Slashs tweet.  Additionally, Axl said he called him in the spring, the year wasn't specified.  So could have been spring 2014.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I think the contention is Axl may have akresdy called Slash before Slash wished Axl happy birthday.  There's plenty of evidence that a reunion was in the works prior to Slashs tweet.  Additionally, Axl said he called him in the spring, the year wasn't specified.  So could have been spring 2014.

Yes, the reunion was in the works prior to the tweet apparently without Axl and Slash having been on direct contact yet. There were talks on management level and at the same time Duff was the mediator between Axl and Slash.

I don't think that the phone call occurred as early as spring 2014, because this would mean that the negotiations about Coachella between the managers had started already in 2013. It also doesn't fit with what Axl said about Slash being on tour at the time of the phone call; he wasn't on tour in spring 2014, but he was in spring 2015.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

When did Slash signed for Axl to release that blasphemy that is Appetite for Democracy? And the other way around when did Axl signed for Slash to release Live at Roxy? They probably hadn't spoken yet at this time, but things were already in the healing process.

One interesting thing to note regarding streaming - Mexico and South America are BY FAR the biggest streaming markets I've seen. I use Spotify and for my top three artists this is the breakdown - 

GNR - Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Los Angeles, Buenos Aires.

The Rolling Stones - Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Santiago, London, Los Angeles.

Aerosmith - Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Santiago, London, Los Angeles.

Mexico City usually hovers around a third more listeners than second place and double the listeners of third place. 

Another interesting thing is the numbers around GNR streams. They rank 141 worldwide among all artists. Their highest streamed song is SCOM with roughly 157,000,000 streams (the top three are SCOM, WTTJ, and PC). To put that into perspective, my favorite song (Locomotive) has been streamed only roughly 2,000,000 times. Coma roughly 2,200,000 times. Shockingly, Estranged has only been streamed roughly 8,200,000 times. My World, a few off TSI?, and a few off Live Era are their only tracks that haven't cracked 1,000,000 streams.  

I use Spotify exclusively on my phone and iPad. All the albums I listen to I already own, so it's the convenience factor. 10-25 years from now many successful musicians who didn't have the funds to afford music when they were growing up will say these sites introduced them to bands like GNR, Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Stones, etc. The industry has changed and will continue to.

29 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Well... let's not go that far. Beta's feelings about Slash pre-reunion were not that great and she certainly played her part in widening the rift between Slash and Axl all these years. "Beggars and hangers on"

And that was without Instagram! ;)

Edited by Reclamation Project

I just watched the interview I think it was great.  I hope Steven gets well enough to play more.  He was great when he played missed his playing.  Glad it was his back and not something else.

i also read on here Axl was not himself. I saw that maybe it's his medication.  I no first hand abuse takes a toll on someone and it effects people differently.  At least I am not at the point right now I need medication and I used to smoke pot and it calms you and that is what it does with Axl.  It shouldn't matter about what he looked like he gave a good damn interview..

new music- I hope they are working on stuff and in between AXL/DC and G N R Axl can lay down tracks.  It would be perfect for Christmas.  I will ask for that for Christmas.  I saw they edited it out maybe because they said something hey shouldn't of had said.

Izzy- it's his own fault for not being there.

Something I noticed was that Axl didn't contact Duff about Slash's number but asked Fernando to find it instead. And when he talks about  the dinner with Slash he says "and then we hung out just a week later or so", or something along those lines, to Duff. It struck me because everyone seem to assume that Duff worked hard to get Axl to talk to Slash again but the way Axl describes it, it seems like he didn't have Duff in mind when it happened and he even talks about them hanging out as an event similar to the dinner with Slash. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Changes said:

Something I noticed was that Axl didn't contact Duff about Slash's number but asked Fernando to find it instead. And when he talks about  the dinner with Slash he says "and then we hung out just a week later or so", or something along those lines, to Duff. It struck me because everyone seem to assume that Duff worked hard to get Axl to talk to Slash again but the way Axl describes it, it seems like he didn't have Duff in mind when it happened and he even talks about them hanging out as an event similar to the dinner with Slash. 

Because since this ''reunion'' has been going on it's absurd how many speculations have been going around on this forum and for some people these speculations have become reality somehow. But the truth is we don't know anything at all.

Edited by EvanG

19 minutes ago, Changes said:

Don't forget that Axl and Duff first talked in the fall of 2010 and, according to Canter, Duff spent a lot of time talking to Axl about Slash and everything. Then they were together again for the Loaded support dates. So Duff's part in smoothing as much as he could over was likely done by 2014. 

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I just buy music on compact disc and vinyl the same way I used to twenty years ago. I cannot get my head around the concept of only possessing music as a file on a computer or gadget - particularly if I'm buying the thing; I cannot comprehend the concept - cannot get my head round it. Somebody did buy me an Ipod and I only used it a few times before putting it on my shelf where it still lies today, gathering dust (in my defense I'm not a great one for listening to music outside, traveling etc.)

Me too. I still buy physical records on a regular basis. Like every month or two, one or more records. 

If it's something I like I have to own it. MP3 files on my computer aren't worth shit if I don't have the physical record.

I'm even willing to buy more real albums of a band or an artist, than a best of. Like even a best of feels fake.

Edited by Free Bird

29 minutes ago, Changes said:

I don't read much in these. Axl asked Fernando to find Slash's number because it's Fernando's job; and also maybe because he wanted his first talk with Slash to be without Duff's interference (if he had asked Duff, Duff would have immediately texted Slash "Axl asked me for your number" etc). The same goes for the dinner, although Axl's description of the events doesn't exclude the possibility of Duff having been present.

Undoubtedly Duff worked hard for the reunion to happen, probably not by pushing things or telling Axl "come on dude, talk to him" (because it wouldn't work), but by talking patiently with each of them and trying to make them see how the other side viewed things.

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@Kara Welcome to the forum buddy, if GNR are coming to New Zealand(and they are!) then I am certain you'll get your chance. Like others have said they might do an arena tour in the US next year

Thanks! I heard something about an arena tour for the states too. One way or another, I HAVE to see this tour!