RARE IZZY FOOTAGE - Live San Francisco 1993

4 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

And he moves so damn fine, what was the problem with his stage presence again? Izzy is pure rock n roll.

Well he was way more animated before the 91 UYI tour (before he got sober), but once he got sober, it probably made him uncomfortable to see Slash, Duff & Matt shooting up heroin, doing coke, and getting hammered on booze all on the side of the stage

1 minute ago, default_ said:

Theres no need for everyone to run and jump around nor its a rule, some ppl just like to lay down and enjoy themselves, the music and the fans. I don't see a unconfortable Izzy, just a guy that isnt Axl, Jagger, Mercury or Roth. 

@topic: JuJu was amazing during this tour! Wish I have a time machine :( Just listen to that Cuttin' the Hug! Maaaan!

That's what I meant by the Perfect Crime lyric. Izzy's whole stage persona is much better suited to kicking back in the shadows. Diesel & I have been kicking around his tour history. I suggested a reason he doesn't. That's all.

Fuckin Christ. Unless you act like Izzy invented rock n roll, people jump your shit lately...

12 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

True. But from your & darkenchantress comments, I thought your opinion was he was some kind of sight to behold up there with the stage presence of Chuck Berry or something. 

I never made such claims. Chuck is actually a showman with the duck walk and splits. Izzy is more a singer-songwriter troubadour. My point was the debates about Izzy's stage presence reside on a pack of lies fabricated by W. Axl Rose circa 1993 and not - as is clear from footage - reality. I would say Izzy's stage role is analogous to Keith Richards (when he sings) or Tom Petty - Dylan also when he is 'electric'.

Do you expect Izzy to walk onstage in his underpants and change clothes every song?

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I never made such claims. Chuck is actually a showman with the duck walk and splits. Izzy is more a singer-songwriter troubadour. My point was the debates about Izzy's stage presence reside on a pack of lies fabricated by W. Axl Rose circa 1993 and not - as is clear from footage - reality. I would say Izzy's stage role is analogous to Keith Richards (when he sings) or Tom Petty - Dylan also when he is 'electric'.

Do you expect Izzy to walk onstage in his underpants and change clothes every song?

:facepalm:

No I do not. I've said 3 fucking times now he's better suited to rhythm guitar & letting others take center stage. You agreed with the statement that he has some great moves. I said I didn't think he did in the particular show in this post. Now I'm saying he should be Axl Rose? Wut?

2 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

:facepalm:

No I do not. I've said 3 fucking times now he's better suited to rhythm guitar & letting others take center stage. You agreed with the statement that he has some great moves. I said I didn't think he did in the particular show in this post. Now I'm saying he should be Axl Rose? Wut?

You mentioned 'frontman'! To expect/desire Izzy to behave like Axl, Jagger or Mercury is to expect/desire a dog to behave like a cat. It is not even valid as a comparison!

Izzy has a guitar for a start, thus depriving him of full mobility enjoyed by aforementioned 'frontmen'. He is a rhythm guitarist (Rick Richards is lead) so shouldn't be expected to perform like a Slash, Page or Perry - he sings so is confined to a microphone. He employs a singer-songwriter '1950s - early '60s' persona which is evident from clips, yet clearly is engrossed in the music and lively within that persona as anybody should be expected to be.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You mentioned 'frontman'! To expect/desire Izzy to behave like Axl, Jagger or Mercury is to expect/desire a dog to behave like a cat. It is not even valid as a comparison!

Izzy has a guitar for a start, thus depriving him of full mobility enjoyed by aforementioned 'frontmen'. He is a rhythm guitarist (Rick Richards is lead) so shouldn't be expected to perform like a Slash, Page or Perry - he sings so is confined to a microphone. He employs a singer-songwriter '1950s - early '60s' persona which is evident from clips, yet clearly is engrossed in the music and lively within that persona as anybody should be expected to be.

I think we have a different feeling about the word "frontman". I mean it literally. Izzy is the frontman of the JuJus, no? If not him then who is? He is standing front & center. People came to see him. I don't mean to imply a frontman has to act like David Lee Roth up there. Obviously Neil Young is a frontman. Anyway, so be it.

His songwriting is what makes him a legend. Not his stage presence or coolness or whatever the fuck. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I think we have a different feeling about the word "frontman". I mean it literally. Izzy is the frontman of the JuJus, no? If not him then who is? He is standing front & center. People came to see him. I don't mean to imply a frontman has to act like David Lee Roth up there. Obviously Neil Young is a frontman. Anyway, so be it.

His songwriting is what makes him a legend. Not his stage presence or coolness or whatever the fuck. 

yeah i agree he looks weird and uncomfortable in the first video. he looks way more relaxed and at ease on the melkweg amsterdam video

about the legend comment, izzy is waaaaaaaaay more than a songwriter

izzy is a fuckig terrific rhythm guitar player

he doesnt have the technical ability of someone like Slash, for example

his magic, much like keith richards, is on the right hand

he knows when to hit those chords and when to let them breathe, he knows what to play and what NOT to play

hes got rhythm

thats what makes his songs (in GNR and on his solo albums) groove so much, and flow so good and rock so hard

:headbang:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mararoyce said:

Has anyone else thought that one of the reasons Izzy left GnR was because he wanted to be front man? 

Izzy has touched on this in a few old interviews from back in the day. He basically said (paraphrasing) that he and Duff were used to singing vocals because Axl didn't usually soundcheck so they'd do it. He touches on the subject in this video too (at 0:25):

Thanks for the links @ludurigan - shared them on Twitter :) It was the Ju Ju Hounds album which made me realise just how integral Izzy was to the GNR sound and songwriting.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah i agree he looks weird and uncomfortable in the first video. he looks way more relaxed and at ease on the melkweg amsterdam video

about the legend comment, izzy is waaaaaaaaay more than a songwriter

izzy is a fuckig terrific rhythm guitar player

he doesnt have the technical ability of someone like Slash, for example

his magic, much like keith richards, is on the right hand

he knows when to hit those chords and when to let them breathe, he knows what to play and what NOT to play

hes got rhythm

thats what makes his songs (in GNR and on his solo albums) groove so much, and flow so good and rock so hard

:headbang:

Yes he's an excellent rhythm player.

15 minutes ago, downliner said:

Izzy has touched on this in a few old interviews from back in the day. He basically said (paraphrasing) that he and Duff were used to singing vocals because Axl didn't usually soundcheck so they'd do it. He touches on the subject in this video too (at 0:25):

Thanks for the links @ludurigan - shared them on Twitter :) It was the Ju Ju Hounds album which made me realise just how integral Izzy was to the GNR sound and songwriting.

"Well, I had a bus, they had a plane and I beat them." :lol:

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

He has maintained the same lead guitarist the whole time right? I'm a live guy.. I wish he would tour for the fans.. He is the only piece of the AF5 I haven't seen.. Why don't all you in twitter land tell him to tour or we are coming after him!

Same here. Only gunner i've yet to see or meet. Came close in 2006 at Hammerstein. He played the 2nd of the 4 shows. I had tickets to the 1st and 3rd of course

3 hours ago, downliner said:

It was the Ju Ju Hounds album which made me realise just how integral Izzy was to the GNR sound and songwriting.

exactly.

you can tell that by listening to pretty much every song he has ever released.

its there!

===

funny thing i just realized now after watching this video for the millionth time.

MTV turns off the sound in the last few seconds and there is no way to know what Izzy said! 

we go out and play...

the songs we recorded...

without...

crazies in my head! 

As I said he moves damn fine to me. Maybe cause I always prefered this style of frontman/singer/whatever with his guitar than a "proper" frontman putting a show for the audience (I'm one of those that would have loved Velvet Revolver with Izzy instead of Scott). I'm afraid is just a matter of personal taste. I kinda like his awkwardness I can't picture Izzy running around, in fact, when I watch old vids of Hollywood Rose and that stuff I find it weird (and very amusing) to see him move so much :lol:

7 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Neil Young is a lead guitarist though, and escapes - as it were - from the restrictions of the microphone during lengthy jam sections where he indulges in some of that typical Shakey dance-like grungy intensity (when he is sitting playing acoustic guitar, he is not a million miles from the Izzy vibe). Chuck Berry is also a lead guitarist and consummate showman. (if you are comparing people's showmanship with Chuck, then just about everybody falls short I'm afraid including all of the genuine lead singer non-guitar playing frontmen, your Axl's and Mercury's!).

I just do not see the problem in your assessment of those clips. I similarly do not see people complaining when Ron Wood and Keith Richards play solo concerts, as it is a different dynamic they have and a different set of audience expectations.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Archtop said:

I keep asking, loved the JuJu hounds. I believe Jimmy is in retirement these days, they should reconcile and hook up.

I would love to see them play that whole album, a couple of his Guns tunes and maybe some of the old blues covers they do.

• Like 4

@downliner I love that video, thanks for posting. Comes across as a chilled guy, just wanting to do his thing. I think an Izzy solo or juju hounds tour would be amazing, he says in the vid he has no problems with it, so I wonder why he doesn't?

Do you know why he fell out with Jimmy so badly, Was it down to drugs?