Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

All this Switch talk was making me want to play it. So when I got home from work (about 1 hour ago), I said to my wife "I'm gonna play the Switch." She said "No your not, I am" lol. Which just helps prove my point, it's a fun system.

To take this discussion in a different direction, (even though I did own a PS1) I'll NEVER own another PlayStation system. I even collect consoles, but I refuse to add ANY PlayStations. I have an Atari 2600, NES, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, GameCube, 360, and now a Switch. Not to mention I have a pretty awesome Arcade Machine that has games ranging from actual arcade games, Atari 2600 and 7800, NES, Sega Master System, Genesis, SNES, N64, turbo grafix 16, and MUGEN. All in all its close to 1,000 games. My point in all of this is I AM a loyal gamer, and as such SONY is the enemy. 

Why??? They played a pivotal role in the death of Sega. First it was with the PlayStation 1 over the Sega Saturn. I was one of the few loyal Saturn owners when it was new, and I had a PlayStation as well, and the Saturn was BETTER. SO many Genesis owners jumped ship to Sony at that time, and they have been with them ever since. They DIRECTLY help kill Sega. Then came the Dreamcast. The dreamcast was AMAZING, and again the stupid PS2 killed it. Why??? Because of the stupid DVD player it came with. Not because it was the BETTER system, but because it had a freaking DVD player. So yes, as a longtime Sega fan I FIRMLY blame Sony for the death of Sega. 

Yes Sega caused a lot of its own problems, which plenty of YouTube videos can go into this topic better than I can. But if Sony hadn't decided to jump into the console business, Sega would still be here today. 

Even though Microsoft came to the game also, I view them as more as the successor to Sega, not it's killer. Sony was it's killer, for the reasons I just mentioned. Also seeing as they are an American company, in my mind, they are also like the successor to Atari. So I view them as the company that picked up the slack that Atari and Sega left behind. Sony on the other hand is the company that killed a classic. Honestly I don't even view Sony gamers as true gamers. 

Which I'm not trying to start a flame wars here, it's just how I feel, it's ok that some will disagree with me. But my first system WAS the Atari 7800, before the NES even existed. So I've been gaming a LONG time. I've seen a lot, enough to know Sony IS the enemy, and it's fanboys are NOT true gamers imo. They are the "Johnny come lately" to the gamer lifestyle. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, arnold layne said:

With all due respect action, a good majority of these games are remakes from the Wii U (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe), games that have been out for years on other systems (Skyrim), or 8-Bit games on the eShop. 

In other words, no meaningful, groundbreaking, original content. 

The argument that there is more games out for the Switch than other consoles in it's early history is a farce when most of it is prior releases. 

So if you like paying $300 for a system that plays dated PS3, Wii U, and 8-Bit trash, then I suppose the Switch is right for you. 

Also I am still waiting as to why I should buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe if I already have Mario Kart 8.

You have to admit that is a load of fucking bullshit and a massive fuck you to Mario Kart fans. The best Nintendo could do in a new Mario Kart game was to re-brand it and add stupid C List characters and have the audacity to charge us sixty dollars for it?

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Fuck

Reveal hidden contents

off

Reveal hidden contents

Shitendo.

You should be outraged. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a cheap cop-out. 

And now there is a high likelihood we won't see another Mario Kart game for the Switch. Can't you understand how this is disappointing? 

you say PS3 / 8 bit indie games are dated trash and you don't appreciate prior releases, but you want virtual console all the same?

doesn't seem very logical

Edited by action

5 hours ago, action said:

you say PS3 / 8 bit indie games are dated trash and you don't appreciate prior releases, but you want virtual console all the same?

doesn't seem very logical

There is a difference between A Link to the Past and some hack job some thirteen year old kid made on winter break. 

Come on.

I am still waiting for Mario Kart answers.

4 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

There is a difference between A Link to the Past and some hack job some thirteen year old kid made on winter break. 

Come on.

there really is, i give you that. most of these indies are utter shit.

but i still dont follow you on the fact that you want virtual console (i want it too), but then you hate re-releases like mario kart. you liked the WiiU so much, so i guess you liked its games too then? ergo, WiiU ports are great stuff to have as an option?

snes virtual console would be great. so would N64 virtual console, gamecube, wii, and.... WiiU (the last one we already have with these deluxe versions).

i'm very glad stuff like tropical freeze is coming since that is an utter masterpiece. i would prefer it over something like donkey kong country 2 virtual console.

@action,

Because these Wii U ports are taking over original content the Switch could have had. 

We are seeing a rebranded Wii U.

Virtual Console is different too. There is a difference between porting a game that came out four years ago and charging full price vs a game that came out 20+ years ago, is an instant classic, originally for a system that you can only find at garage sales, and sell the game for $10.

31 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Come on.

Link to the Past is still the best Zelda IMO.

22 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

@action,

Because these Wii U ports are taking over original content the Switch could have had. 

We are seeing a rebranded Wii U.

Virtual Console is different too. There is a difference between porting a game that came out four years ago and charging full price vs a game that came out 20+ years ago, is an instant classic, originally for a system that you can only find at garage sales, and sell the game for $10.

it's a rebranded WiiU, i agree. and so does nintendo itself. they said that WiiU was a "necessary" failure to come to the full potential of the WiiU's vision, fulfilled in the switch.

the wiiU gamepad idea was neat, but it was also limited to being in the vicinity of the console. Also, the pad streamed games, as opposed to the switch which runs games natively.

also, the best WiiU games are already covered on the switch. we have at least 4-5 years to go. they can't port wiiU games forever, we already have most of them!

it will be most interesting to see what nintendo will come up with next. i'm sooooo hoping for a star fox zero port, with full pro controller playability.

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Link to the Past is still the best Zelda IMO.

that's not too far off the truth

8 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

That's actually really cool. Splatoon 2 converted me into loving gyro controls.

it'll need some tweaking in the settings to get there, but it's possible.

the good news is, some dude has posted his settings which he claims emulates splatoon 2 controls. I did a test run with these settings, and i can confirm they are legit.

Motion-Control-Splatoon-2-setting-1024x5

Edited by action

my god payday 2 is so much fun.

and to say i wanted to trade in the game at one point. when i first played this, i said screw the AI and i tried to complete the missions on my own. this was absolutely impossible and i saw no solution. next day, i activated my team AI and they act as cannon fodder. suddenly the game became playable, and most importantly: fun. think of a mix of mission impossible and goldeneye. so much diversity and creativity. it's like nintendo could have made the game. it's nothing like the generic military shooters like COD and battlefield. we were doing missions in a giant lab for example, with bottles as high as buildings.

this game is also very deep, there is endless replay value here.

the multiplayer is the most fun i have had playing a game online, ever. but the secret weapon is local wireless play. get some friends together and do these missions together in the same room. that's something, no other console allows you.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:59 PM, action said:

my god payday 2 is so much fun.

and to say i wanted to trade in the game at one point. when i first played this, i said screw the AI and i tried to complete the missions on my own. this was absolutely impossible and i saw no solution. next day, i activated my team AI and they act as cannon fodder. suddenly the game became playable, and most importantly: fun. think of a mix of mission impossible and goldeneye. so much diversity and creativity. it's like nintendo could have made the game. it's nothing like the generic military shooters like COD and battlefield. we were doing missions in a giant lab for example, with bottles as high as buildings.

this game is also very deep, there is endless replay value here.

the multiplayer is the most fun i have had playing a game online, ever. but the secret weapon is local wireless play. get some friends together and do these missions together in the same room. that's something, no other console allows you.

They should pay you to advertise games, you seriously just made me interested in buying it for my Switch lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

They should pay you to advertise games, you seriously just made me interested in buying it for my Switch lol

yeah i can't say enough good things about this game. i did an offline mission yesterday, with 2 AI teammates. it was in a siberia like envorinment, and i had to disable the 2 anti aircraft devices (cough... goldeneye.. cough... surface / runway) and then go into the lab and do all sorts of spy stuff (cough... silo).

next, an online mission in a middle class neighbourhood. felt like i was on a scene in terminator 2, and i half expected stumbling upon the T1000 asking me if i had seen this boy.

ah yes, forgot to mention the music. so fucking great. i'm feeling like a criminal playing this game.

there, that's more advertisement for you. :P 

think i made my point clear: this game is the goldenye of the Switch, but better.  

Edited by action

11 hours ago, action said:

yeah i can't say enough good things about this game. i did an offline mission yesterday, with 2 AI teammates. it was in a siberia like envorinment, and i had to disable the 2 anti aircraft devices (cough... goldeneye.. cough... surface / runway) and then go into the lab and do all sorts of spy stuff (cough... silo).

next, an online mission in a middle class neighbourhood. felt like i was on a scene in terminator 2, and i half expected stumbling upon the T1000 asking me if i had seen this boy.

ah yes, forgot to mention the music. so fucking great. i'm feeling like a criminal playing this game.

there, that's more advertisement for you. :P 

think i made my point clear: this game is the goldenye of the Switch, but better.  

the dialogue in this game is hilarious. genuinly hilarious, and i dont say that lightly. i think i'm starting to fall in love with this game

I think we are going to get Minecraft, Skyrim, and Mario Kart for Easter. Oldest Goat will LOVE this, but our daughter (by HER choice) gave up video games for lent, so I feel it is good to reward her with ALL of her favorite Xbox 360 games for Easter on the Switch.

Plus, we will be UP NORTH a lot this summer, and the Switch is SO much more user friendly to move, than the 360. Not to mention (I feel) it's time for her to move on from that system. I know I did, I haven't touched my 360 since we bought the Switch. Which that's how it's supposed to go, the new replaces the old, until the old becomes "retro". Which the 360 hasn't hit that point yet, right now it just feels old.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

That's cute that she loves videogames enough to choose it for that. :lol:

The 360 will never be retro/classic, just obsolete. Nintendo Switch could be the last retro/classic console ever. We should duke it out in Mario Kart sometime if you get it dude.

I plan on it!!! I'm also interested in that game you guys spoke of earlier?? The shooter one??