Richard talks about rehearsal In Guns N' Roses

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

'What GN'R need'? Does Axl even know what GN'R need (clearly GN'R need to never release albums and tour the hits for twenty years)? At least if I was in charge, you could guarantee there would be a clearing out of the vaults!

I don't think putting you in charge of anything is a good idea or can be constructive to be honest.

Axl knows what Gn'R needs more than any of us. Gn'R needs to exist. That much I know so... the vault thing is more about Axl and less about the band. The band is there for him to employ. And he does release albums, just not very often.

• Like 2

Izzy, Gilby and all these guys are for nostalgia. Fortus is for the music.

Big, big difference.

Fortus is the best. No question asked. And he is SO much more that "just a rythm guitar player" : in fact, his Lead playing is better than Slash. Richard is more skilled.

With Fortus, it's like Slash is playing with Jeff Beck. Fortus is a world superclass guitar player and he does have a strong fanbase all around the world. People love him.

Edited by Caraibes

Just now, Caraibes said:

Big, big difference.

Fortus is the best. No question asked. And he is SO much more that "just a rythm guitar player" : in fact, his Lead playing is better than Slash. Richard is more skilled.

With Fortus, it's like Slash is playing with Jeff Beck. Fortus is a world superclass guitar player.

What? no. If Izzy was in Guns, he could have been used to shape the next Guns album. The opposite of just for nostalgia. He is the most talented songwriter Guns ever had. Why would they not use him if they could tap his talent? Gilby I agree though. He doesn't have anything to contribute.

Fortus wrote an important riff for Better that rocks hard.

1 minute ago, Caraibes said:

Big, big difference.

With Fortus, it's like Slash is playing with Jeff Beck. Fortus is a world superclass guitar player.

Yeah only Fortus could write amazing songs like Sweet Child, Don't Cry, Nightrain, Think About You, YCBM and Paradise City. 

Who the hell needs Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven and Axl when you the multitalented Fortus. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I don't think putting you in charge of anything is a good idea or can be constructive to be honest.

Axl knows what Gn'R needs more than any of us. Gn'R needs to exist. That much I know so... the vault thing is more about Axl and less about the band. The band is there for him to employ. And he does release albums, just not very often.

If I was in charge of GN'R, you'd have a new album for your Christmas stocking and you can dispense with your hypothetical conversations with Wasted about ''Atlas Shrugged being better than Cockroach Soup'' and listen to and discuss something tangible for a change. You'd also have a boxset of old era live DVDs including the Perfect Crime documentary, and an outtakes boxset. Izzy would be paid what he wants, and Adler installed.

If Axl's idea of ''what GN'R need'', since 1999ish, was to destroy the band, turning it into a joke, he has done an excellent job.

4 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

Yet Izzy is the one releasing new music, and GN'R/Fortus are the one touring the hits on a nostalgia tour!

Back to the drawing board with that one I'm afraid.

• Like 3

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

If I was in charge of GN'R, you'd have a new album for your Christmas stocking and you can dispense with your hypothetical conversations with Wasted about ''Atlas Shrugged being better than Cockroach Soup'' and listen to and discuss something tangible for a change. You'd also have a boxset of old era live DVDs including the Perfect Crime documentary, and an outtakes boxset. Izzy would be paid what he wants, and Adler installed.

If Axl's idea of ''what GN'R need'', since 1999ish, was to destroy the band, turning it into a joke, he has done an excellent job.

If you were in charge before Chinese was released, you probably would have tried to sabotage the release. Same thing you'll do if you were in charge with CD ll.

Probably have told Axl to call Izzy and would have lost a testicle in the process.

I love Izzy for studio recordings, but he can't play onstage. He just can't fucking play. 

Fortus is a lso a killer songwriter, listen to the Dead Daisies "Revolucion" record, Fortus guitar playing is out of this world. Classic Rock guitar player.

33 minutes ago, Rovim said:

If you were in charge before Chinese was released, you probably would have tried to sabotage the release. Same thing you'll do if you were in charge with CD ll.

Probably have told Axl to call Izzy and would have lost a testicle in the process.

Not really. I do not understand why he didn't put out the 'trilogy' in 2001 or whenever. I've always been consistent in criticising the lack of new material

21 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Not really. I do not understand why he didn't put out the 'trilogy' in 2001 or whenever. I've always been consistent in criticising the lack of new material

Perhaps he cares too much. Take Izzy for example, or Slash, there are no insecurities really. There is no waiting for a more ideal time, or trying everything. No predetermined standard or assembling vision puzzles like Axl.

I think it comes from the person you are, the qualities you have as a person shows through your process as an artist. This is only logical.

You factor that coupled with all the other shit like maybe too many producers, RTB, Bob Ezrin, band members that leave (sometimes after 2, 3, or 4 years) members that come back and now Axl thinks 3 guitar players is better.

When you give something endless resources and time, you run the risk of overthinking shit and rethinking the whole thing completely.

To answer your question: I think he truly believed in a trilogy and wanted to release it, but Axl is a grandiose person, everything must be huge, in concept and execution. When he faced the reality it was too big of a challenge to release a trilogy, even a year or two apart, he shelved that idea.

Or perhaps 3 albums became a double (Chinese and CD ll according to Axl) because he rethought it and this set of songs fit better together or make sense musically and conceptually. Or some tunes were not good enough on second look, so some fell off the AAA list.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I get that you have an opinion on Fortus / Gilby / Izzy, etc. But this^ is just too funny! :lol:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

No words can describe how sad it is that some of you prefer Fortus over Izzy (or even Gilby)... :facepalm:

If you want better musicians, why don't you replace Slash with some virtuoso who's actually theoretically better at his instrument ?  Wait, Axl tried that already, what a success story that was ...

Why don't you replace Axl with a better singer ?

It's not sad, it's a matter of taste. Why do you care. Izzy is not gonna happen, so even if he is in theory the ideal choice, in reality he and Axl are not talking and he's pissed off.

Gilby just doesn't offer what Axl needs for this band imo. (the ability to play more technical leads, and coming up with ideas that Axl actually likes)

Richard is a great option 2 cause he kinda does it all. The one thing people don't talk about often is his rhythm work. That's his main job live, he nails it every time and Axl already used one of his ideas for perhaps the most well received new Guns tune. (Better)

And if Axl is still going forward with the vault material like he eluded to in the China Exchange interview, then Fortus is a great choice. He can cover all the eras and still has the work ethic Izzy may lack or interest in touring and chasing paper.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

It's not sad, it's a matter of taste. Why do you care. Izzy is not gonna happen, so even if he is in theory the ideal choice, in reality he and Axl are not talking and he's pissed off.

Gilby just doesn't offer what Axl needs for this band imo. (the ability to play more technical leads, and coming up with ideas that Axl actually likes)

Richard is a great option 2 cause he kinda does it all. The one thing people don't talk about often is his rhythm work. That's his main job live, he nails it every time and Axl already used one of his ideas for perhaps the most well received new Guns tune. (Better)

And if Axl is still going forward with the vault material like he kinda eluded to in the China Exchange interview, then Fortus is a great choice. He can cover all the eras and still has the work ethic Izzy may lack or interest in touring and chasing paper.

Please stop.  :facepalm:

What on earth are you talking about ?

There is ZERO reason for Fortus to be playing 'technical leads'.  I'd rather have NO rythm guitar player ('Rocket Queen' on Live Era anyone ?) than some schmuck...

'Most well received new Guns tune' ?  If that's the best he has to offer, he can take it back !

And who the hell wants Axl to 'go forward with vault material' with Fortus' contributions  ???

Let me tell you something.  There is only ONE vault worth talking about, and it's the one with the UYI outtakes and live shit.  It includes exactly ZERO post '96 songs.  First release : 4 Forum '91 shows box set.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Please stop.  :facepalm:

What on earth are you talking about ?

There is ZERO reason for Fortus to be playing 'technical leads'.  I'd rather have NO rythm guitar player ('Rocket Queen' on Live Era anyone ?) than some schmuck...

'Most well received new Guns tune' ?  If that's the best he has to offer, he can take it back !

And who the hell wants Axl to 'go forward with vault material' with Fortus' contributions  ???

Let me tell you something.  There is only ONE vault worth talking about, and it's the one with the UYI outtakes and live shit.  It includes exactly ZERO post '96 songs.  First release : 4 Forum '91 shows box set.

There is a need for Fortus to play technical leads cause like it or not, they play Chinese tunes every show as well and if Guns ever release another album, it looks like (going by what Axl said recently) that the next Guns album will be mostly comprised of Chinese era vault material.

I don't think it's the best Richard has to offer (he said he came late to the party) but at least Axl used one of his ideas unlike Gilby. So even if you don't want the vault material, it's still probably going to be what you'll mostly get.

Edited by Rovim

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I don't think it's the best he has to offer, but at least Axl used one of his ideas unlike Gilby. So even if you don't want the vault material, it's still probably going to be what you'll mostly get.

Yeah and that Idea lasted only for 5 seconds.

At least Gilby was able to convince Axl to record Dead Flowers with him. 

Fortus is arguably the best rhythm guitarist in the world. Simple as that... Getting Izzy or Gilby back is only for nostalgia reasons...

What would have you been ranting about if Fortus had been initially the original in Guns in 1985.. You would consider him as good as Izzy..

I admit Izzy is better in studio and songwriting wise, but Fortus is a beast live...

He's earned his spot...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

But isn't 4tus more a true lead than a rhythm hence the reason IF Izzy was to come back into the fold per se for a show or two he could play the rhythm with 4tus continuing to play his leads where he gets them

But you have to ask yourself what the songs require. The material that is played live as of now, asks for a guitar player that will be able to play with Slash the entire old Guns catalog (potentially) but also Chinese stuff, more may be released in the distant future.

It's also the long tours. Not sure if Izzy can or wants to do that at least in that capacity.

And lastly, Izzy is not even available, Axl was over Gilby 20 years ago, and Axl doesn't have any good reason to fire Fortus. He picked him after all and it lasted 15 years and still going places.

Edited by Rovim

11 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

Fortus is arguably the best rhythm guitarist in the world. Simple as that... Getting Izzy or Gilby back is only for nostalgia reasons...

What would have you been ranting about if Fortus had been initially the original in Guns in 1985.. You would consider him as good as Izzy..

I admit Izzy is better in studio and songwriting wise, but Fortus is a beast live...

He's earned his spot...

If Fortus had been in GNR in 1985 instead of Izzy, there wouldn't have been any AFD and they never would've been signed.

Why ?  Because Fortus never has (and never will) written anything of the calibre Izzy has.  Simply put, there wouldn't have been any GNR without Izzy.

Fortus has been 'in the band' for 15 years, and STILL no one cares about him.  Izzy was in the band for 6 years and is STILL considered an icon.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

If rehearsal is so focused and intense, you'd think they'd be able to not play the same setlist every night.

But they reintroduced Coma and even a standard Gn'R show, let's face it, even if they're old, older... can you get anywhere else that type of hard rock show? maybe AC/DC but that's branded ginger as well.

They do have a very commercial product to sell now. The live show I think struck the right balance between the old days and bringing it to a more modern Vegas type of deal. Even the new neon logo I thought touched the right vibe.

And Slash is playing Sorry and all bunch of things. I think it's fun enough and it sure as fuck selling well. But at some point they're gonna need to play something fresh. I think they'll add stuff from the catalog slowly. They probably don't want to use it all up cause Axl doesn't release albums very often. That and covers is a powerful distraction weapon as Axl delays his way through life.