Is Chinese Democracy the most "Guns" record out of all solo projects?

8 hours ago, wasted said:

And CD II was done a long time ago, but how many are actually Axl songs. If you start taking out stuff that just isn't going to fly as a reunion record with Slash, what do you have left? 

Axl wanted Slash to play on 3 or 4 tunes in 2001. I can see how that might would have worked cause he's playing more than that live now and it fits.

So Slash could have played on half of Chinese Democracy and it could have still worked, or at least Axl thought about it.

He's playing Better, Sorry, Chinese, Catcher, There Was A Time, and Street Of Dreams sounds like a Guns tune anyway.

Axl has a trilogy of albums now according to Fortus.

I think music is something that isn't really an issue. Like you can't use all the material, but Slash can just rerecord guitars. Perhaps not tunes like Shackler's for example. The more out there ideas will have to be reeled in to make more sense, or not used at all, but it's not a huge problem.

Bucket replaced Robin and had a totally different sound and style on many levels. In the end Axl combined those styles and even added Bumble. Another totally different guitar player.

Lyrics is the biggest problem. Can't change lyrics without it fuckin' with vocals and the whole theme and tune really.

I imagine half a record will thematically be Slash friendly anyway cause it's about subjects that naturally work with anyone like half a record could themes about love, civil war/madagascar type shit, and stuff like Catcher and Shackler's deal stuff that doesn't sound weird on a reunion record.

You're left with quite a bit. Perhaps the rest can be lyrics and vocal melodies first, to fill in the reunion spaces. Part of the album can be new and could tie it together.

Like Bucket's 3 new tunes he brought in for Chinese. These tunes don't sound like they naturally fit with other tunes in Chinese, but Axl somehow made it work, Should be even easier in a way for Axl to fit Slash to his Guns vision.

It depends on mainly the lyrics, what kind of songs Axl has. Robin said there were all kinds on shit. Muscially, I'm guessing it's varied cause you have tunes from Josh Freese and Huge, all sorts of people.

My best guess is Axl can't use all of it, but must use some of it. He played some or all of it to Slash and Duff. I think it will be a true hybrid of usable Chinese vault material, Axl tunes that start from vocals melodies and lyrics, and maybe a couple of Slash tunes like his old one they were working on and like a new hard rock tune he can bring in.

It will probably sound like Illusions and Chinese in that it will still sound chaotic and all over the place with a bunch of records stuffed into 1.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl wanted Slash to play on 3 or 4 tunes in 2001. I can see how that might would have worked cause he's playing more than that live now and it fits.

So Slash could have played on half of Chinese Democracy and it could have still worked, or at least Axl thought about it.

He's playing Better, Sorry, Chinese, Catcher, There Was A Time, and Street Of Dreams sounds like a Guns tune anyway.

Axl has a trilogy of albums now according to Fortus.

I think music is something that isn't really an issue. Like you can't use all the material, but Slash can just rerecord guitars. Perhaps not tunes like Shackler's for example. The more out there ideas will have to be reeled in to make more sense, or not used at all, but it's not a huge problem.

Bucket replaced Robin and had a totally different sound and style on many levels. In the end Axl combined those styles and even added Bumble. Another totally different guitar player.

Lyrics is the biggest problem. Can't change lyrics without it fuckin' with vocals and the whole theme and tune really.

I imagine half a record will thematically be Slash friendly anyway cause it's about subjects that naturally work with anyone like half a record could themes about love, civil war/madagascar type shit, and stuff like Catcher and Shackler's deal stuff that doesn't sound weird on a reunion record.

You're left with quite a bit. Perhaps the rest can be lyrics and vocal melodies first, to fill in the reunion spaces. Part of the album can be new and could tie it together.

Like Bucket's 3 new tunes he brought in for Chinese. These tunes don't sound like they naturally fit with other tunes in Chinese, but Axl somehow made it work, Should be even easier in a way for Axl to fit Slash to his Guns vision.

It depends on mainly the lyrics, what kind of songs Axl has. Robin said there were all kinds on shit. Muscially, I'm guessing it's varied cause you have tunes from Josh Freese and Huge, all sorts of people.

My best guess is Axl can't use all of it, but must use some of it. He played some or all of it to Slash and Duff. I think it will be a true hybrid of usable Chinese vault material, Axl tunes that start from vocals melodies and lyrics, and maybe a couple of Slash tunes like his old one they were working on and like a new hard rock tune he can bring in.

It will probably sound like Illusions and Chinese in that it will still sound chaotic and all over the place with a bunch of records stuffed into 1.

But that whole CD type record will that work as a reunion record. Fans hoping to hear the difference, feel that it's more like a UYI sound. 

Or will it be more Slash and Duff helping Axl realise his vision. And more fans will buy into it because they are there. And Slash will show how's developed as a guitarist. I never expected Slash to do Chi dem or Better, let alone make them work. 

But I can see where just as Bucket dropped in Shackler's, Scraped and Sorry, Brain was still the drummer and Tommy still on bass so it slotted in. So it could also work for Slash/Duff. To me Sorry and Scraped stand out like hell on side 2. So it could be fine. Imagine if YCBM came after Chi dem. A little different production and players would make it fit. 

• Like 1