Is Chinese Democracy the most "Guns" record out of all solo projects?

11 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I would never associate the word 'metal' with Manic Street Preachers, in any sense. Not even Generation Terrorists of Holy Bible :shrugs:

I said elements of metal, I wouldn't necessarily associate them with metal no. Life becoming a Landslide. Archives of Pain. Condemned to Rock n Roll. An element. Not like Iron Maiden throughout. My definition of metal is heavier than hard rock. They are kind of a mix depending on which album you pick. 

Edited by wasted
Elements of metal
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 1:57 PM, scooby845 said:

Anyone saying anything from Chinese is better than Slither or Fall to Pieces should really reevaluate their music taste and knowlegde...

I do like Slither and Fall To Pieces a lot and they are just as good as anything on CD.  I was talking about about the album as a whole, mostly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Slither doesn't sound like GNR to me, it sounds more like Slash playing STP song. 

Fall to Pieces is kind of Don't Cry -ish. 

Scott gravitated towards a Silver Gun Superman type riff. STP were blamed for copying Pearl Jam. Ironic with Slash's comment about not wanting to be Pearl Jam, just the alternative rock thing, Slash, and Chinese which actually combined some of that vibe with Hard Rock and other flavors.

Slither sounds like a bad ass riff that worked well as a standard boneheaded tune. It is way more STP than it is Guns.

Fall To Pieces takes cues from SCOM, the riff and it's pattern. Could have been a Guns song, not sure about Slither.

Do It For The Kids was an Izzy idea. Scott changed quite a few ideas to turn it more to STP.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

I do like Slither and Fall To Pieces a lot and they are just as good as anything on CD.  I was talking about about the album as a whole, mostly.

To each his own, but CD is more a sum of it parts rather than whole... Speaking of whole - Libertad beats it all the way; the best Slash record he has done outside of GnR and my favorite VR record.. Contraband is a close second place!!

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You, Wasted and Rovim, do realise that you are the Greenidge and Haynes of Nugnr discussions?

That means absolutely nothing to me as I don't watch sports of any kind. Translation?

Had to google it and still learned nothing, but "Greenidge" and "Hayness" must know a shitload about Nugnr.

Just now, Rovim said:

That means absolutely nothing to me as I don't watch sports of any kind. Translation?

Had to google it and still learned nothing, but "Greenidge" and "Hayness" must know a shitload about Nugnr.

A colossal partnership, one attacking, one defending - the two in complete unity - accumulating runs in complete symbiosis.

On 11/11/2016 at 5:01 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I'm not wishing to discern who was the originator of the riff I associate with Korn - call it the 'du-du-dee' riff if you will? It is a horrible riff regardless. I'm merely showing that ''Shackler's Revenge'' sounds like numetal or '1990s metal'.

I remember reading an interview with the guitarists from Korn circa 1995 where they said they always used "the Bungle chord"...as in they stole/borrowed it from Mr Bungle.

The plot thickens!

1 hour ago, DR DOOM said:

I remember reading an interview with the guitarists from Korn circa 1995 where they said they always used "the Bungle chord"...as in they stole/borrowed it from Mr Bungle.

The plot thickens!

If the World is Evidence meets The theme from Shaft. 

• Like 1

Surprised how undertalked Libertad around here. To me that's the most Guns sounding record after the classic lineup broke. Some kickass slash riffs, Duff's punk bass lines and some songs, like Get Out The Door, just beg for Axl's vocals.

That being said,

CD > Libertad

The closer albums to GNR sound their members have released are JuJu Hounds, Five O'Clock and Believe in Me. Chinese has four songs that could fit in a GNR album.

This is not an opinion, just listen to the stuff. No matter if you dont lkei'em (I dont like Believe in Me that much myself) but the sound, the attitude and the feeling is there. Not in Velvet Revolver, not in Loaded, not in the whole NuGNR concept.

Dont get me wrong, I like CD, but it has little to do with GNR sound. The songs that could fit GNR over there are all Axl ballads like TIL, SoD or CitT, the minority of the album and probably stuff Axl created way back in the 90's.

LOL at the "Contraband is Rock N' Roll" comment.
Theres nothing Rock N' Roll about that mediocre alternative/new metal band called Velvet Revolver.

Edited by default_

On 14.11.2016 at 8:11 PM, default_ said:

The closer albums to GNR sound their members have released are JuJu Hounds, Five O'Clock and Believe in Me. Chinese has four songs that could fit in a GNR album.

This is not an opinion, just listen to the stuff. No matter if you dont lkei'em (I dont like Believe in Me that much myself) but the sound, the attitude and the feeling is there. Not in Velvet Revolver, not in Loaded, not in the whole NuGNR concept.

Dont get me wrong, I like CD, but it has little to do with GNR sound. The songs that could fit GNR over there are all Axl ballads like TIL, SoD or CitT, the minority of the album and probably stuff Axl created way back in the 90's.

LOL at the "Contraband is Rock N' Roll" comment.
Theres nothing Rock N' Roll about that mediocre alternative/new metal band called Velvet Revolver.

4 songs could fit? Chinese, Better, Street Of Dreams, Madagascar, Catcher, This I Love, There Was A Time. 7 tunes. 3 was just your opinion. I've listened to the stuff.

And the goal with Contraband was to create a Hard Rock album. Set Me Free has shitty lyrics, but it worked as a Hard Rock tune. Nothing rock n' roll though, even if Izzy wrote the riff for Do It For The Kids, they took it to a more poppy and much gayer place.

This is an opinion.

Edited by Rovim

3 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Velvet Revolver a mediocre band, I love this forum. Thanks for all the funny jokes, guys :)

They are. Its not because they have members from Guns N' Roses they are a good band. They are generic, bland and uninspired as fuck. The same with Loaded. 

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

And the goal with Contraband was to create a Hard Rock album. Set Me Free has shitty lyrics, but it worked as a Hard Rock tune. Nothing rock n' roll though, even if Izzy wrote the riff for Do It For The Kids, they took it to a more poppy and much gayer place.

This is an opinion.

They had the intention of creating a hard rock album, but at the moment they let Dave Kushner and Scott Weiland mess with the tunes... It became a generic mess. Bluesy rock n' roll, new metal and alternative rock are genres that really don't get along. 
Its the same stuff as Axl trying to mix hard rock and industrial. People hate Axl for what he did but loves Velvet Revolver just because they are a band full of cool guys that went into mainstream ears with their jumpy jumpy "new alternative metal". 

1 hour ago, default_ said:

They are. Its not because they have members from Guns N' Roses they are a good band. They are generic, bland and uninspired as fuck. The same with Loaded. 

Of course not, having members of Guns N' Roses doesn't make a band good. Having a lot of great songs does, and that's why they were an amazing band.

They have nothing to do with Loaded. Scott Weiland was a genius when it came to writing melodies, Duff is.... an amazing bass player...

1 hour ago, default_ said:

They had the intention of creating a hard rock album, but at the moment they let Dave Kushner and Scott Weiland mess with the tunes... It became a generic mess. Bluesy rock n' roll, new metal and alternative rock are genres that really don't get along. 
Its the same stuff as Axl trying to mix hard rock and industrial. People hate Axl for what he did but loves Velvet Revolver just because they are a band full of cool guys that went into mainstream ears with their jumpy jumpy "new alternative metal". 

Not true. When Scott joined the band, the music for Contraband was already written. It was Slash and Duff who didn't want to redo GNR, they rejected Sebastian Bach because "they sounded like Skid Roses". In Libertad, where Scott had a lot more imput, they didn't have that sound you (for whatever reason) describe as new metal. 

Also, what bothers people is that Axl went for a completely different direction USING THE GNR NAME. Had he released the album as Axl Rose, the reception would have been different. Still CD is clearly beating Contraband in a poll made in another thread, so I don't know why you have this perception like the world loves VR and hates CD.

• Like 1