Is Chinese Democracy the most "Guns" record out of all solo projects?

Korn riff? Shackler's? Well, you clearly don't listen to Korn (obviously), so you shouldn't try to compare something with another thing that you are not familiar with. A korn Riff is usually a chugging detuned 7 string guitar riff that repeats a lot during the song. Shackler's doesn't even have that "dark music for edgy teens" feel that korn is famous for.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Korn riff? Shackler's? Well, you clearly don't listen to Korn (obviously), so you shouldn't try to compare something with another thing that you are not familiar with. A korn Riff is usually a chugging detuned 7 string guitar riff that repeats a lot during the song. Shackler's doesn't even have that "dark music for edgy teens" feel that korn is famous for.

Same riff

Yes. indeed. The Slap bass on Shackler's is so good... oh, wait there's no slap bass in there. The only thing similar is that it is a low note followed by a high note/ harmonic. Silly me, only korn does that. I should've known already.  by your logic, a lot of bands write korn riffs.

• Like 2

The opening Korn riff makes a similar low note with high note approach as Shackler's opening riff. But the verse riff, the prechorus riff, chorus riff, and solo backing riff of Shackler's sound nothing like it.

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

Riffs are duplicated all the time in rock and hard rock music and beyond. Someone sued Slash for the Dirty Little Thing riff. It is super similar to some other band. So what?

Kurt stole the Come As You Are riff, Chinese Democracy riff is rock you like a boston teen. The Cult lifting from The Stones, everyone lifting from The Stones, Izzy with Used To Love Her and so on and so forth.

Riffs are musical sentences. Just because someone else used it in a different context doesn't mean it's completely useless artistically. (like Korn)

If that was the case, a shitload of Blues music is useless and a rehash for example. A lot of it is also in the delivery and context.

Edited by Rovim

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yes. indeed. The Slap bass on Shackler's is so good... oh, wait there's no slap bass in there. The only thing similar is that it is a low note followed by a high note/ harmonic. Silly me, only korn does that. I should've known already.  by your logic, a lot of bands write korn riffs.

They could use a dying cat to produce that tone, who cares? Thing is it sounds the same and that is new metal territory.

Edited by Free Bird

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Exactly the same riff.

You just don't want to get it. It's not exclusive to Chinese or Axl, Izzy does this shit all the time! Chuck Berry fuckin' duplicating his own riffs for every tune with only changing the timing a little bit kinda.

You think it's only this way with chord progressions? I expect more from you. You can't be that thick headed. Especially given the music I know you listen to.

Must I use clips?

Bucket comes up with one million riffs a day. I'm just saying it's possible for musicians to copy each other sometimes, but it's bound to happen. And seriously, are we questioning Bucket's originality here? cause he's responsible for the riff.

And not the first or only time Bucket has borrowed ideas, Bumble as well, Slash with Doctor Alibi. The examples are endless really.

Hell, sometimes musicians copy themselves. Double Talkin Jive is just a faster You Could Be Mine riff. Same strumming exact pattern, but with different notes. Aside from the fact the YCBM/DTJ rhythm pattern is a pretty basic rock n roll pattern that has been used before in songs like One Way or Another, among others. But no one really gives a shit because it sounds good.

Oh look! here's Dimebag Darrel doing a korn riff even before korn released their debut album. That good-for-nothing Darrel stealing riffs even before they were written. So, why don't we call it a pantera riff instead? seems more acurate. Shackler's is shameless pantera ripoff by your logic.

The only similarity is the low note high note pattern. Face it. It's something so common in metal that calling it a "korn riff" is total BS

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Oh look! here's Dimebag Darrel doing a korn riff even before korn released their debut album. That good-for-nothing Darrel stealing riffs even before they were written. So, why don't we call it a pantera riff instead? seems more acurate. Shackler's is shameless pantera ripoff by your logic.

The only similarity is the low note high note pattern. Face it. It's something so common in metal that calling it a "korn riff" is total BS

Wait, theres low string chugging going on! Avenged Sevenfold rips off Slipknot rips off Disturbed rips off Korn rips off Megadeth rips off Metallica rips off Pantera!

• Like 2