"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

In a Valley of Violence

New western that is surprisingly good. Story isn't original but good enough. Has a legit western feel and look. Hawke plays his role good. But Travolta, no straight-to-dvd sleepwalking here, he's great. Best role I've seen him do in a long time.

6 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Love that movie. Only thing I've ever really liked Clooney in but he played that role perfect.

'd'ya think I'm fuckin' with you asshole?  Do you want this little girl to die, or that little girl, or your bosom buddy with the badge?  Now i don't wanna do it but i will turn this place into the fuckin' Wild Bunch if i think that you are fucking with me!'

I used to think that line was so cool :lol: 

20 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

The Graduate 1967 Anne Bancroft Dustin Hoffman Katherine Ross great movie! wonderful performances ( especially Anne Bancroft. Dustin wasn't bad himself. ) the only thing that bothered me was the ending . 8/10

Hide contents

when Benjamin and Elaine are in the bus after Ben rescued her from her wedding they kind of keep looking at each like, hmmmmm what have we done? like maybe thinking it was a mistake?

Katherine Ross is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fit in that film!  Sweet fuckin' Lord, I would trade my Nan for a crack at her as she was in that film...maybe throw in an aunt or two if it meant sealing the deal!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

'd'ya think I'm fuckin' with you asshole?  Do you want this little girl to die, or that little girl, or your bosom buddy with the badge?  Now i don't wanna do it but i will turn this place into the fuckin' Wild Bunch if i think that you are fucking with me!'

I used to think that line was so cool :lol: 

Yeah I love the Wild Bunch line. I also like the one where he's like...Alright, everybody listen up. I don't believe in vampires, there are no such thing as vampires. Now does everybody agree with me when I say, what we're dealing with here are fucking vampires. 

Edited by J Dog

11 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah I love the Wild Bunch line. I also like the one where he's like...Alright, everybody listen up, I don't believe in vampires, there are no such thing as vampires. Now does everybody agree with me when I say, what we're dealing with here are fucking vampires. 

I love the discussion between the cop and the guy working behind the counter, absolutely hilairious.  The mongoloid kid thing :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I love the discussion between the cop and the guy working behind the counter, absolutely hilairious.  The mongoloid kid thing :lol: 

The cop trips me out. Same cop in Kill Bill. He's funny. He's always like, well good goddamn.

Cheech is funny as hell in it too. The Titty Twister :lol:

You need to check out that move up there I just watched, In a Valley of Violence. Think you'll like that one.

Edited by J Dog

4 minutes ago, J Dog said:

The cop trips me out. Same cop in Kill Bill. He's funny. He's always like, well good goddamn.

Cheech is funny as hell in it too. The Titty Twister :lol:

You need to check out that move up there I just watched, In a Valley of Violence. Think you'll like that one.

Certainly sounds like a bit of me :lol:

• Like 1

Kolberg, a Nazi propaganda epic released in 1945. Probably the worst case of cinematic hubris ever. Goebbels chucked loads of money and infrastructure into it, even drafting 50,00 army extras - it has the second highest cast after Gandhi. Now consider the year: 1945, Germany being invaded from east and west; Germany's resources stretched to breaking point!

In the end nobody saw the thing as the Nazis had collapsed when it was released - and there was no cinemas in operation anyhow.

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Kolberg, a Nazi propaganda epic released in 1945. Probably the worst case of cinematic hubris ever. Goebbels chucked loads of money and infrastructure into it, even drafting 50,00 army extras - it has the second highest cast after Gandhi. Now consider the year: 1945, Germany being invaded from east and west; Germany's resources stretched to breaking point!

In the end nobody saw the thing as the Nazis had collapsed when it was released - and there was no cinemas in operation anyhow.

I must check it out, I've seen the Leni Reifenshtahl ones.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I must check it out, I've seen the Leni Reifenshtahl ones.

It is analogy for the America-British bombing of Germany. It is not too bad really - similar feel to Birth of a Nation. The Napoleonic battle scenes are worth watching.

Have you seen the anti-British Nazi films, the Titanic one in which its sinking was blamed on Jews and British capitalists? There is another one about the Rothschilds.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is analogy for the America-British bombing of Germany. It is not too bad really - similar feel to Birth of a Nation. The Napoleonic battle scenes are worth watching.

Have you seen the anti-British Nazi films, the Titanic one in which its sinking was blamed on Jews and British capitalists? There is another one about the Rothschilds.

No i aint, what they called?

• Like 1

Titanic and Die Rothschilds I think. There is a couple of the anti-British ones set in Ireland also.

The most notorious Nazi film is The Eternal Jew which compares Jews with rats and lice. It was Hitler's idea and a box office disaster. Even anti Semites found it off-putting viewing ghettos and rats (they like to be entertained, few pretty women, bit of fisty cuffs, etc - like everyone else). Goebbels preferred films like Jud Süß which was a box office winner - again, very controversial.

Kolberg is a very interesting film as it has the potential (in a Third Reich context) to be inflammatory to the state seeing as the subject matter deals with the German Wars of Liberation which consisted of a sort of liberal civilians' uprising: the 'tugendbund' - I think you may have briefly covered this? Goebbels was obviously aware of this so there are some real hokey scenes in which the citizens are seen as having to conform to the military.

It would be fairly easy to draw analogies with the anti-Nazi student movement, The White Rose!

The Nazis are also having to promote women involvement in the war effort, as auxiliaries, men's jobs, etc, which was an u-turn from traditional Nazi ideology ('kinder kuche, kirche') and something they had to sort of justify to themselves. Kolberg is full of patriotic Aryan maidens grieving over falling brothers and putting out fires.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Titanic and Die Rothschilds I think. There is a couple of the anti-British ones set in Ireland also.

The most notorious Nazi film is The Eternal Jew which compares Jews with rats and lice. It was Hitler's idea and a box office disaster. Even anti Semites found it off-putting viewing ghettos and rats (they like to be entertained, few pretty women, bit of fisty cuffs, etc - like everyone else). Goebbels preferred films like Jud Süß which was a box office winner - again, very controversial.

Kolberg is a very interesting film as it has the potential (in a Third Reich context) to be inflammatory to the state seeing as the subject matter deals with the German Wars of Liberation which consisted of a sort of liberal civilians' uprising: the 'tugendbund' - I think you may have briefly covered this? Goebbels was obviously aware of this so there are some real hokey scenes in which the citizens are seen as having to conform to the military.

It would be fairly easy to draw analogies with the anti-Nazi student movement, The White Rose!

The Nazis are also having to promote women involvement in the war effort, as auxiliaries, men's jobs, etc, which was an u-turn from traditional Nazi ideology ('kinder kuche, kirche') and something they had to sort of justify to themselves. Kolberg is full of patriotic Aryan maidens grieving over falling brothers and putting out fires.

Und Ewige Jude, yeah, i seen that one!  Und or Unt, i dunno, i dont speak German.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I might watch Triumph of Will again. It is a jaunty little number that Horst Wessel song, isn't it?

They all have a merry sort of feel to them, don't they?  You could imagine a horde of pissed up krauts getting very patriotic behind it :lol:  I suppose it's a pre-requisite of nationalist tunes and anthems, they have to have a certain quality to em to inspire good feelings.  I've always loved the Mexican one, having heard it at a thousand boxing matches:

Sounds fantastic i think! :lol:  Another one i quite like is Home on the Range, though not a national anthem.  Neil Young makes it sound quite beautiful.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nazi Germany had two anthems,. Deutschland über alles, the current one, and the Horst Wessel song. 

In the last week of school i got done for singing Deustchland Uber Alles onstage while the doing a Nazi salute while the stage was being set for the Leavers Assembly :lol:  I didn't think there was any teachers around and me and two mates of mine were fuckin' around but when there's an empty stage and a mic all set up it's difficult to just stroll past it.  Whats ridiculous is i don't actually know any of the words except Deustchland Deustchland Uber Alles...the rest i just garbled a bunch of what i thought was German sounding gibberish to the tune :lol:  Head of PE took me aside and went 'do you want to get your GCSE results?  Cuz you can still be expelled y'know' :lol: 

• Like 2

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Do you remember Triumph of Will when it goes a bit homoerotic, with all of those Hitler Youth scrubbing each other?

I don't really remember it in detail to be honest, i remember more like really grand sweeping shots of marches and that...and of Germans all working together looking all fit and healthy and happy and aryan.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Full of benders.

I remember reading that all these German like...pro Aryan initiatives ended up really fucking up quite badly.  Like for example the kids ones left them educationally backward in real terms.  

• Like 1