"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

I've seen it but forgotten it. I remember Bad Timing and the Jagger one. 

The Jagger one is the source of the Mick/Keith feud. Jagger (allegedly) duffed up Anita Pallenberg, Keith's girlfriend and co-star.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is the original Pennebaker film.

Must be a re-release. I have No Direction Home. Is Pennebaker worth getting? 

Watch most of Unbreakable. Bruce isn't even Mr Glass. But this movie does set up what Bruce is looking for, he's meant to help people. I guess it is set up for him to stop The Beast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Must be a re-release. I have No Direction Home. Is Pennebaker worth getting? 

Watch most of Unbreakable. Bruce isn't even Mr Glass. But this movie does set up what Bruce is looking for, he's meant to help people. I guess it is set up for him to stop The Beast. 

It is very much worth getting. One of the greatest documents of popular music.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Maverick (1994)

Cube (1997)

Cronos (1993)

The Ninth Gate (1999)

Fargo Season 2

The Cronos device. That movie is like a cult classic, Hardware is another one that is like Terminator style. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wasted said:

The Cronos device. That movie is like a cult classic, Hardware is another one that is like Terminator style. 

I watch Cronos like every five years. Usually I like to watch it right before Ninth Gate, or Coppola's Dracula (1992). The 90s had the best movies.

On 16 May 2017 at 11:36 AM, Silent Jay said:

I watch Cronos like every five years. Usually I like to watch it right before Ninth Gate, or Coppola's Dracula (1992). The 90s had the best movies.

There's definitely a lot of movies from 90s worth rewatching, compared to now it's no contest. There's still good stuff now, but not sure the product is always so convincing. Like all the actual directors that came through, compared to now where I can barely name 1. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

There's definitely a lot of movies from 90s worth rewatching, compared to now it's no contest. There's still good stuff now, but not sure the product is always so convincing. Like all the actual directors that came through, compared to now where I can barely name 1. 

Slight correction there and we have by far your most sensible post Wasted one. Well done!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Paprika (2006)

Possibly the greatest animated film I have ever seen in my life. An utterly inspiring masterpiece.

"This is your brain on anime."

5/5

P.S. Inception clearly ripped it off and is fucking trash in comparison.

That's a great anime, Akira is still my favourite though.

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Slight correction there and we have by far your most sensible post Wasted one. Well done!

I would like to thank the forum and admin and pray for world peace and a boob job, maybe just remodeling at this point, or just the right bra. Fight the drones!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I just think it's easier to watch, movies used to be written more like books. You picture yourself with the story, characters were bolder too. I won't ever watch 12 Years A Slave or Birdman or Moonlight again, because at the end of the day, they suck. They're horrible movies.

I think social media is affecting Hollywood badly, how they rely too much on Instagram celebrities, filters everywhere. Disney and Fast & Furious won. You take a look at 2016 and you have sequels like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Zoolander 2, The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, Barbershop: The Next Cut, and Alice Through the Looking Glass... Who wants to watch that shit? Painful.

So thank god for the past and the 90s, I watched Heat, L.A. Confidential, Insomnia, Hard Eight, Gladiator, Men In Black, T2 or Independance Day on DVD a thousand times, it's never enough. HD sucks.

Edited by Silent Jay

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Independence Day!! That is the prototype for today's 'shit Hollywood'.

total ham and cheese fest, but a classic nonetheless. Look what they've done with the sequel. Tommy Lee Jones's Volcano looks like a masterpiece compared to shit-hollywood.

I should have said Starship Troopers.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Independence Day!! That is the prototype for today's 'shit Hollywood'.

If you go back further it's actually Star Wars and it's Toyetic nature that changed everything. A lot of technology is being developed by Lucas too. He sold his old stuff off, maybe CGI, to then work on new stuff. He was at film school with Coppola and Spielberg more or less. He started with THX movie which was arty but he was mainly interested in production values. Lucas and Spielberg were sort of in a box office war. I think Jaws was winning then Lucas re-released Star wars to beat it. Meanwhile Coppola was bankrupting himself with his movies and dream of movie community American Zoetrope. In the end Lucas beat them at the box office and Star wars spawned a whole new industry. Lucas only seems to do films to road test technology and new toys. The actual artist lost the war and movies were changed forever. Hopper's story with Easy Rider is also an example, he thought they were about to start of revolution, a few years later he was making that thing The Last Movie and the studio had cut him off. Another art failure. Then I guess in the 80s Don Simpson and Bruckheimer with High Concept finished off the 70s. Is Independence Day a Bruckheimer? 

So Lucas becoming a mogul and Bruckheimer just stirred the whole thing away from Coppola's vision of movies in Hollywood. 

I blame R2-D2. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

I just think it's easier to watch, movies used to be written more like books. You picture yourself with the story, characters were bolder too. I won't ever watch 12 Years A Slave or Birdman or Moonlight again, because at the end of the day, they suck. They're horrible movies.

I think social media is affecting Hollywood badly, how they rely too much on Instagram celebrities, filters everywhere. Disney and Fast & Furious won. You take a look at 2016 and you have sequels like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Zoolander 2, The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, Barbershop: The Next Cut, and Alice Through the Looking Glass... Who wants to watch that shit? Painful.

So thank god for the past and the 90s, I watched Heat, L.A. Confidential, Insomnia, Hard Eight, Gladiator, Men In Black, T2 or Independance Day on DVD a thousand times, it's never enough. HD sucks.

When I go to the big I max type places it's basically all teens in those movies. They seem to be there just as a place to be, playon their phones. It's about the big action scene and that's it, there no May 68 bullshit going on. Capitalism won, there's no revolution.

I guess the blu ray and netflix stuff might take some audience away. A story is a waste of CGI.  It's like we did that 70s-90s movies, now let's do this. I see like something new, But they spend 35 mil on marketing and 5 on the movie. Also there's no actors to pay, no powerhouses like Pacino. Like that chick in Res Evil, she can't carry a real movie. They are just hauling in the cash with these CGI movies. Across the whole world, Asia. No one can understand Angel Heart in south east asia, but these superhero movies are for 6 year olds. It sells globally, I Max's are like alien churches that help to sell luxury brands in malls.

Edited by wasted

The Prestige 2006 Christian Bale Hugh Jackman.

ok so this was the second movie i've seen with almost the exact same plot...The Illusionist being the other

this one seemed a bit more polished ( Christopher Nolan directed ) Hugh Jackman does an awful English accent but this becomes clear why later on. Christian Bale has an English accent which seems appropriate except he doesn't sound British. maybe all those roles where he had to do an American accent has made him think he's American?? :lol:

it was ok. glad that black cat didn't die in the machine.

oh! and i had forgotten David Bowie had a small part as Tesla in it. when i saw him walk into frame in the flick i gasped a little...