November Rain: 823 Million YouTube Views

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But that is your opinion and that's fine. Not everyone agrees.

As an artist Slash has been creative and releasing music. Maybe Axl has been creative too, but he's got nothing to show for. And I consider all those years he didn't release music as wasted. You can't say that about Slash who has been releasing albums consistently since 2000. I'm sure he's happy with his output, and so are a lot of his fans. That some internet person like you doesn't care about it doesn't matter. Maybe to you, but no one else.

Well obviously it is my opinion. Which I already stated in my very first post on this subject. As I pointed out.

And I'm sure Slash's solo albums are great for the people who actually do like them. But even most of these people would probably admit they'd rather have had some more GNR albums. So yes, in the end, it's all wasted years with either no output or inferior output compared to what we could have had.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Frey said:

Well obviously it is my opinion. Which I already stated in my very first post on this subject. As I pointed out.

And I'm sure Slash's solo albums are great for the people who actually do like them. But even most of these people would probably admit they'd rather have had some more GNR albums. So yes, in the end, it's all wasted years with either no output or inferior output compared to what we could have had.

Saying that you don't like his music outside of GnR is a fair opinion. No one can disagree with that because it's your opinion. But saying that he wasted his artistic life since 1991 because you don't like his solo stuff is kinda narrow minded.

I don't fancy all his solo efforts and Velvet Revolver stuff either, but I wouldn't call it wasted years just because I'm not the biggest fan, because I'm sure he's happy with it and probably many other people. I would consider it wasted years if he only released one album in 25 years. But I guess you don't understand this logic.

Edited by EvanG

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Saying that you don't like his music outside of GnR is a fair opinion. No one can disagree with that because it's your opinion. But saying that he wasted his artistic life since 1991 because you don't like his solo stuff is kinda narrow minded.

I don't fancy all his solo efforts and Velvet Revolver stuff either, but I wouldn't call it wasted years just because I'm not the biggest fan, because I'm sure he's happy with it and probably many other people. I would consider it wasted years if he only released one album in 25 years. But I guess you don't understand this logic.

Dude, I don't even hate Slash's solo stuff. I even like a couple of his songs. And if he (and a handful of his fans) are happy with that, great (although I highly doubt he was perfectly happy with his career path, judging by what he did and the way he acted in these decades). But we still could have had something so much better. Something so much more relevant. And compared to that all these years spent fighting and wallowing in bitterness were a waste indeed. But I guess you don't understand this logic. So let's agree to disagree and stop talking about this because this is a dumb argument.

1 hour ago, Frey said:

Dude, I don't even hate Slash's solo stuff. I even like a couple of his songs. And if he (and a handful of his fans) are happy with that, great (although I highly doubt he was perfectly happy with his career path, judging by what he did and the way he acted in these decades). But we still could have had something so much better. Something so much more relevant. And compared to that all these years spent fighting and wallowing in bitterness were a waste indeed. But I guess you don't understand this logic. So let's agree to disagree and stop talking about this because this is a dumb argument.

I never said you hated his stuff. Since GnR he's been in at least three different bands, two of them had his name in the band name and he was the primary songwriter. So I don't think he wasn't too happy about that, that's an ignorant assumption you made. And he released a real solo album and did many guest spots on records of other artists. Just because you're not too happy with his career after GnR, doesn't mean he isn't. If Slash would retire tomorrow and he looked back on the music he put out, I'm sure he doesn't feel like he wasted too many years, except for maybe some of those years when he was fucked up on something or other and therefore didn't get much work done. That's all I'm trying to explain to you, but you have a hard time understanding this.

I get that you would have rather seen him make records with GnR, but just because he hasn't it doesn't mean he wasted his years. But I guess you don't understand this logic.

Edited by EvanG

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

So I don't think he wasn't too happy about that, that's an ignorant assumption you made. And he released a real solo album and did many guest spots on records of other artists. Just because you're not too happy with his career after GnR, doesn't mean he isn't. If Slash would retire tomorrow and he looked back on the music he put out, I'm sure he doesn't feel like he wasted too many years, except for maybe some of those years when he was fucked up on something or other and therefore didn't get much work done. That's all I'm trying to explain to you, but you have a hard time understanding this.

I'm sure he would feel proud of all the albums he's put out, but I don't buy him being completely happy about the situation either.

Slash did everything from refusing to go on stage with Duff, Steven and Izzy to celebrate an AfD anniversary (for fear of pissing Axl off) to showing up at Axl's house in the middle of the night to mend fences. He was extremely careful concerning Axl in his book and usually refused to take any bait journalists offered him to badmouth Axl. And he clearly was down for the reunion as soon as Axl called. And that's just off the top off my head. If Slash really had been completely satisfied and happy with his solo career, he wouldn't have tried so hard to stay on Axl's good side (or at least to not make the situation any worse) in hopes of a future reunion of some sort.

Back on topic: That's great. November Rain isn't exactly my favorite GNR song, but it is cool to see so many people have watched the video and like my favorite band.

And I vote for the trilogy videos being amazing. Of course they're over the top and cheesy and ridiculous, but that is what makes them great in my opinion. It's part of their charm lol. And I agree, Axl should feel proud of them and stand behind what he created.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

I'm sure he would feel proud of all the albums he's put out, but I don't buy him being completely happy about the situation either.

Slash did everything from refusing to go on stage with Duff, Steven and Izzy to celebrate an AfD anniversary (for fear of pissing Axl off) to showing up at Axl's house in the middle of the night to mend fences. He was extremely careful concerning Axl in his book and usually refused to take any bait journalists offered him to badmouth Axl. And he clearly was down for the reunion as soon as Axl called. And that's just off the top off my head. If Slash really had been completely satisfied and happy with his solo career, he wouldn't have tried so hard to stay on Axl's good side (or at least to not make the situation any worse) in hopes of a future reunion of some sort.

I read his book many years ago, but I don't remember him being that careful concerning Axl and I've seen him being critical of him plenty of times in interviews. But obviously we can't know how he really feels about all of it.

Anyway, my point was merely that he hasn't been wasting years not releasing and making music like Axl has.

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, soon said:

If jumping through a cake would disclose the recipe, there'd be a lot of baffled and aggravated revellers in my wake :lol:

i tried reaching out to him and nothing but crickets, it's weird how some people don't want to talk. I think he's defending the cake recipe. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, sidman69 said:

i tried reaching out to him and nothing but crickets, it's weird how some people don't want to talk. I think he's defending the cake recipe. 

Everyones under a NDA regarding the cake recipe, according to an insider on another forum.  Izzy was cut out after suggesting substituting avocado for the vegetable shortening :lol:

But seriously, I hope you can get him.  Would be another good one!

Edited by soon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Everyones under a NDA regarding the cake recipe, according to an insider on another forum.  Izzy was cut out after suggesting substituting avocado for the vegetable shortening :lol:

But seriously, I hope you can get him.  Would be another good one!

thanks yeah we're always working behind the scenes reaching out to everyone we can who worked with GNR in the past to see if they'll come on. 

• Like 1

Slash should have always went the instrumental route and just "jammed" he's great at doing that in a blues format. You get glimpses of it during his solo spots. Instead he put out numerous solo albums with alot of lyrics and vocals that are just embarrassing, ex. WOF is something a 17 year old kid would write in a notebook, compare that to Civil War, not even close to the same caliber and quality. I hear cool ideas here and there on his solo albums but NONE of them measured up to the timelessness of GnR.

6 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

Slash should have always went the instrumental route and just "jammed" he's great at doing that in a blues format. You get glimpses of it during his solo spots. Instead he put out numerous solo albums with alot of lyrics and vocals that are just embarrassing, ex. WOF is something a 17 year old kid would write in a notebook, compare that to Civil War, not even close to the same caliber and quality. I hear cool ideas here and there on his solo albums but NONE of them measured up to the timelessness of GnR.

1st ever post and you're already positioning subjective opinion as fact. You're gonna fit in well here.

Just curious, where can I find the grammy winning material and great ideas you wrote and recorded?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thunderram said:

1st ever post and you're already positioning subjective opinion as fact. You're gonna fit in well here.

Just curious, where can I find the grammy winning material and great ideas you wrote and recorded?

It's not subjective when you realize that perception is reality. And that the over all perception around the world is that GnR is on another level and time has proven the music to be timeless. 

8 hours ago, thunderram said:

Name the Slash tunes or Conspirator tunes that have become iconic. Whatever you say will be rationalizing and the fact is his solo stuff is not on the same level period. 

10 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

Name the Slash tunes or Conspirator tunes that have become iconic. Whatever you say will be rationalizing and the fact is his solo stuff is not on the same level period. 

Anastasia is a great song that many have compared as a modern Sweet Child of Mine. Slash’s best post GNR riff in my opinion and one that I hear on the radio quite often actually.

10 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

Ghost which is played on some radio stations in Oz as much as GNR.