Axl's Stage Presence: Past/Present Discussion

57 minutes ago, Inbox said:

I had to stop lurking and post for the first time because this question completely confused me. Like, why is such question even being asked??? :lol::facepalm: Axl Rose has charisma just like the sky is blue.

People with too much time on their hands

7 minutes ago, Lio said:

I suppose you all look like you're in a photoshoot when you're running/eating/talking/whatever and they take a picture of you. I don't :( I guess I have that in common with Axl :heart:

Me too!! (just a normal person here).

I don't think this thread is entirely nonsensical as, of course people on here are going to be biased towards Axl, but outside this forum and the universe of people who are actively fans of GNR, Axl is one of the most hated celebrities on the entire planet, and has been for a very long time, with good, legitimate reason. They look down upon him and do not rate him whatsoever. I for one believe he had stage presence and charisma in abundance in his prime, far more than Slash, he was the best, particularly from 87-89, but he has changed and lost so much, stage presence and charisma included, and although he still has it to a degree, it's entirely robotic and choreographed, what he says and when he speaks to crowds, his moves, his 'singing', outfit changes, everything. It's quite sad. But luckily for Axl, what he's lost, Slash has gained, and now has far more stage presence and wow factor than Axl could ever dream of getting near these days, hence the financial success of this reunion. Slash is the big draw, he is carrying this reunion on his shoulders, and Axl and co are along for the ride. Who knew it'd turn out like this back in the day huh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SevenMichaels said:

I don't think this thread is entirely nonsensical as, of course people on here are going to be biased towards Axl, but outside this forum and the universe of people who are actively fans of GNR, Axl is one of the most hated celebrities on the entire planet, and has been for a very long time, with good, legitimate reason. They look down upon him and do not rate him whatsoever. I for one believe he had stage presence and charisma in abundance in his prime, far more than Slash, he was the best, particularly from 87-89, but he has changed and lost so much, stage presence and charisma included, and although he still has it to a degree, it's entirely robotic and choreographed, what he says and when he speaks to crowds, his moves, his 'singing', outfit changes, everything. It's quite sad. But luckily for Axl, what he's lost, Slash has gained, and now has far more stage presence and wow factor than Axl could ever dream of getting near these days, hence the financial success of this reunion. Slash is the big draw, he is carrying this reunion on his shoulders, and Axl and co are along for the ride. Who knew it'd turn out like this back in the day huh?

Great post. We're basically on the same page here. Don't forget Duff who has tremendous stage presence now. Between Duff and Slash - Axl has a ton of pressure lifted off his shoulders unlike during the Chinese Democracy years when he had to be the driving force of the band.

This thread was really meant to be a discussion of Axl's stage presence past/present and the perception of his frontman abilities outside of the GnR fan bubble. I should have probably worded the thread title better. Oh well. :lol:

3 hours ago, SevenMichaels said:

If Slash is reason of big drew which is the reason what Slash not was big drew himself in his own gigs??? 

3 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I agree. I find myself doing that a lot ?

Me too

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Great post. We're basically on the same page here. Don't forget Duff who has tremendous stage presence now. Between Duff and Slash - Axl has a ton of pressure lifted off his shoulders unlike during the Chinese Democracy years when he had to be the driving force of the band.

This thread was really meant to be a discussion of Axl's stage presence past/present and the perception of his frontman abilities outside of the GnR fan bubble. I should have probably worded the thread title better. Oh well. :lol:

Duff does have a good stage presence too but I do not think it's on Slash's level or even Axl's. I agree. 

I think it'd be very difficult to find members on here that could discuss the real meaning of this thread without getting caught up in the GNR fan bubble, but respect for your efforts @RONIN

2 minutes ago, Ratam said:

If Slash is reason of big drew which is the reason what Slash not was big drew himself in his own gigs??? 

Me too

I have no idea what you are trying to say whatsoever.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SevenMichaels said:

Really? Then why wasn't Slash selling out arenas and stadiums along with Duff before they reunited with Axl? I mean, I could have missed something as I never got into VR and didn't follow either of them. Slash is more popular than Axl in positive sense because he kept himself in the limelight all these years and played with anyone who was inviting, and basically he was the good guy. But that doesn't mean he has more stage presence when you see him live. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Inbox said:

Really? Then why wasn't Slash selling out arenas and stadiums along with Duff before they reunited with Axl? I mean, I could have missed something as I never got into VR and didn't follow either of them. Slash is more popular than Axl in positive sense because he kept himself in the limelight all these years and played with anyone who was inviting, and basically he was the good guy. But that doesn't mean he has more stage presence when you see him live. 

Eh, he was selling out arenas, both with VR and SMKC. Slash has far more stage presence live, in my opinion, I have seen SMKC and Guns, both in the front row, so yeah. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

Eh, he was selling out arenas, both with VR and SMKC. Slash has far more stage presence live, in my opinion, I have seen SMKC and Guns, both in the front row, so yeah. 

OK, that's your opinion. I have mine! :lol:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

Duff does have a good stage presence too but I do not think it's on Slash's level or even Axl's. I agree. 

I think it'd be very difficult to find members on here that could discuss the real meaning of this thread without getting caught up in the GNR fan bubble, but respect for your efforts @RONIN

I have no idea what you are trying to say whatsoever.

I said same what INBOX,Slash not sell outs stadiums without Axl, not was big draw for himself,is same what  said the poster  INBOX

Axl has an enormous stage presence. When he comes on stage, he's the man, anyone can see that. He interacts with the audience, gives it his all, you can see his emotions.

Duff's interaction with the audience is great. Only saw him for the first time on NITL, and it surprised me. He's a real badass on stage, and he always reacts when the crowd is cheering at him, which is great.

Slash doesn't do that. Or very rarely. I think I've seen him do it a handful of times in the 3 shows I've been to and always it seemed to me that he was saying hi to people he knew, fans that follow him around wherever. But he's just the guitar god, one with his guitar, mesmerising the crowd that lies at his feet.

All three of them have a great stage presence, each in their own way. Every one of them has his own approach, as each has his own personality, of course. I think they look great together and they're so much more than the sum of the parts.

As for people hating Axl, of course most of us know he isn't the most popular guy out there. If this is justified or not, that's highly debatable, but whatever. And of course this is subjective. Please. But maybe you should realise that goes for everyone, not just for Axl. I read on here that James Brown has the most stage presence. Well, I've seen him live and he didn't do anything for me. I found him rather pathetic, bombastic and pompous. But so what? It's just my opinion. I'm sure his many fans think he has or had the greatest stage presence ever, and I can even see why, but like I said, it didn't do anything for me personally.

If you're looking for people's opinion outside of the 'GNR fandom bubble', @RONIN, maybe you should ask the question somewhere else than on a GNR fan forum? I don't know if you've been to a show recently, or will go in the future, but maybe you should ask around on a show. I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority will say Axl has great stage presence, also the casuals and even people who've been mocking Axl for years and came to the show out of curiosity.

Oh, and when I saw Slash in 2014, he played a venue with a capacity of 8,000 and it wasn't sold out. Axl needs Slash, but Slash sure as hell needs Axl too. I know neither one of them will starve without the other, but to reach this level of success, they need each other. I thought that would be clear by now to people who ever doubted that.

• Like 4

Axl Rose is afraid to die or fall on stage, this is the reason he's so quiet on stage, he talk to the crowd a few times, it is the last guns n roses tour, this is the reason Axl dont give a f... about nothing,  he could sing in other way, but he insists to sing like mickey mouse, they will not change the setlist, Axl and the other guys they do the same movements every show.

On 30/07/2017 at 5:36 AM, tajandreas said:

The only real gripe I have is that there is almost zero crowd interaction. Seeing other bands like Metallica & A7X this year there was alot of banter between the singers and the crowd, and it made you feel more apart of the overall act. With Guns now it does feel almost robotic how everything is. The moves are choreographed, even the little things he says to crowd are, but it seems like as of late he is talking more, so that's a plus. But to say Axl isn't charismatic is laughable. I mean, I've never heard anyone say that atleast.

Lol doesn't Hetfield spew the same shit to every crowd though? "Metallica loves you very much" and all that crap, if Axl did that it would come across as phony I think.

2 hours ago, Lio said:

Axl has an enormous stage presence. When he comes on stage, he's the man, anyone can see that. He interacts with the audience, gives it his all, you can see his emotions.

Duff's interaction with the audience is great. Only saw him for the first time on NITL, and it surprised me. He's a real badass on stage, and he always reacts when the crowd is cheering at him, which is great.

Slash doesn't do that. Or very rarely. I think I've seen him do it a handful of times in the 3 shows I've been to and always it seemed to me that he was saying hi to people he knew, fans that follow him around wherever. But he's just the guitar god, one with his guitar, mesmerising the crowd that lies at his feet.

All three of them have a great stage presence, each in their own way. Every one of them has his own approach, as each has his own personality, of course. I think they look great together and they're so much more than the sum of the parts.

As for people hating Axl, of course most of us know he isn't the most popular guy out there. If this is justified or not, that's highly debatable, but whatever. And of course this is subjective. Please. But maybe you should realise that goes for everyone, not just for Axl. I read on here that James Brown has the most stage presence. Well, I've seen him live and he didn't do anything for me. I found him rather pathetic, bombastic and pompous. But so what? It's just my opinion. I'm sure his many fans think he has or had the greatest stage presence ever, and I can even see why, but like I said, it didn't do anything for me personally.

If you're looking for people's opinion outside of the 'GNR fandom bubble', @RONIN, maybe you should ask the question somewhere else than on a GNR fan forum? I don't know if you've been to a show recently, or will go in the future, but maybe you should ask around on a show. I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority will say Axl has great stage presence, also the casuals and even people who've been mocking Axl for years and came to the show out of curiosity.

Oh, and when I saw Slash in 2014, he played a venue with a capacity of 8,000 and it wasn't sold out. Axl needs Slash, but Slash sure as hell needs Axl too. I know neither one of them will starve without the other, but to reach this level of success, they need each other. I thought that would be clear by now to people who ever doubted that.

1000000000000000 likes ?????????

11 minutes ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

Lol doesn't Hetfield spew the same shit to every crowd though? "Metallica loves you very much" and all that crap, if Axl did that it would come across as phony I think.

Hetfield doesn't need to say much, Jim Breuer explains it better than I can

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lio said:

No. In response to your last paragraph, Slash didn't have the benefit of the band's name, the Guns N' Roses brand, Axl did, and they were still playing identical shows size wise, especially in Europe. Look what happens when the same old band name with the same old members (for the most part, we all know Duff and Melissa aren't who people are paying to see) has Slash injected into them? They go from playing the joint in LV to the fucking Metlife Stadium. Coincidence? I think not. 

48 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

No. In response to your last paragraph, Slash didn't have the benefit of the band's name, the Guns N' Roses brand, Axl did, and they were still playing identical shows size wise, especially in Europe. Look what happens when the same old band name with the same old members (for the most part, we all know Duff and Melissa aren't who people are paying to see) has Slash injected into them? They go from playing the joint in LV to the fucking Metlife Stadium. Coincidence? I think not. 

Slash sold out stadium Metlife for himself???  Answer = NOOOOT