Axl vs. Freddie Mercury

I love a Top 5.  I'm doing it slightly differently, too. :)

My personal top five is for Frontman.  In their prime.

My criteria: distinctive voice (not best voice but unique among all artists i.e. instantly recognisable on the radio), stage presence, showmanship, mystique/fascination factor. 

1. Robert Plant 

2. Axl Rose - only ahead of Freddie because I think he had more sex appeal (for me personally) and because of the immediate impact he had culturally e.g fashion/style/attitude

3. Freddie Mercury

4. Mick Jagger

5. Daniel Johns (Silverchair - most may not remember them, but it is a personal list).

Honourable mention: Chris Cornell.  I'd put him above Daniel Johns if I was being objective.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

On 8/4/2017 at 2:02 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

I've noticed over the years that there a huge contingent of posters here who claim Freddie Mercury is the greatest lead singer of all time. I don't think so, he doesn't beat Axl Prime at all.

Yes he does. All day and all night long.

7 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

B-but Freddy, Len! H-h-he brought ballet to the m-masses!

:lol:

Queen are by far among the most dreadful of fuckin' bands ever to be considered legends.  Actually now i think about it most legendary bands are awful, Queen, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath.

• Like 3

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Queen are by far among the most dreadful of fuckin' bands ever to be considered legends.  Actually now i think about it most legendary bands are awful, Queen, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath.

But then is the problem with them or with you?

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I agree with this: "Queen are by far among the most dreadful of fuckin' bands ever to be considered legends."

Although the second part is just a ridiculous statement.  These may be the three greatest and most influential bands in their genres: " Actually now i think about it most legendary bands are awful, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath." (Progressive Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal)

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Zeppelin has good songs

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moreblack said:

But then is the problem with them or with you?

Well me obviously cuz i personally think they're shit, their fans/scope of influence etc suggests otherwise.  Me and the shit taste of the multitude :lol:  There isn't really a problem per se, just someone who thinks they're naff.

Edited by Len Cnut

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

How dare you include Queen with all that wretched load of shite.

34 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

They have probably 3 or a few more actually decent songs.

One of the most pathetic comments I've ever heard. And really, there are many of those on this forum. Also that comment coming from a fan of a 3 album band.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

Liking Queen is like a fashion :lol: 

They have probably 3 or a few more actually decent songs.

Can't believe I wasted so much time on them :lol: 

I bet when asked to name these you'll say, 'Another One Bites the Dust', 'Under Pressure', 'Bohemian Rhapsody'?

• Like 1

I remember once my cousin driving with me somewheres, summers day and starts blasting fucking Queen, i can actually remember the fuckin' lyrics, something about Mr Farenheit, travelling at the speed of light, we must've looked like a couple of nancy boys off to the benders convention, honestly i didn't know where to put my face :lol:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I bet when asked to name these you'll say, 'Another One Bites the Dust', 'Under Pressure', 'Bohemian Rhapsody'?

Innuendo, Invisible Man and that one Bicycle Song, because I appreciate the bell solo :lol:

All of those songs you mentioned are shit

5 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

Innuendo, Invisible Man and that one Bicycle Song, because I appreciate the bell solo :lol:

All of those songs you mentioned are shit

Right. Like "Invisible man" and "Bycicle race" are the top of Queen's Œuvre. :facepalm: :rolleyes: Like Diesel says, do yourself a favour and check out the albums.

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I remember once my cousin driving with me somewheres, summers day and starts blasting fucking Queen, i can actually remember the fuckin' lyrics, something about Mr Farenheit, travelling at the speed of light, we must've looked like a couple of nancy boys off to the benders convention, honestly i didn't know where to put my face :lol:

:lol: Ah. "Don't stop me now". Well, that actually is one of my favourites.

Edited by PatrickS77

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

Right. Invisible man and Bycicle race are the top of Queen's Œuvre. Like Diesel says, do yourself a favour and check out the albums.

Why are you lot so upset that I don't like Queen? :lol: I just don't like Freddies opera voice and the bass lines. Brian and Roger Taylor are good, though.

It's just when I dislike what half the band is wanking out I just don't fuckin see the point in listening to the music.

And I'm not British, so I'm allowed to dislike Queens music :D

Americans generally do not like Queen. They liked them in the 1970s but then a music video came out with Queen dressed as women. It was actually a pastiche on Coronation Street but Americans did not understand the humour, saying (puts on best American drawl) ''why are those limey fags dressed as women?''. It was the end of Queen in America, at least until Wayne's World.

• Like 1