THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

Well see, Japan are no less deserving.

To be honest though I expected  better from Columbia. Maybe England's path to the Quarter Finals will be even easier than expected, then again... it is England.

Alot penalties in this tourny. VAR is going to change the game alot.

Edited by AtariLegend

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

Colombia has serious problems on deffense. And they played most of the match with 10 men because of the sent off

The red card is very important. Seemed harsh. 

But this is what happens. Japan might make it out of the group. 

Not sure how good Columbia are. They have James and Falcao but Japan were tenacious and organized. 

England were lucky to get the 3 points but its so important. Makes everything a bit easier. 

Poland Senegal on ITV?

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

England were lucky to get the 3 points but its so important. Makes everything a bit easier. 

Sort of, Belgium leads the group. England needs to score big against both Belgium and Panama. If they want to finish in first place. They can't speculate with Belgium losing or drawing against Tunisia.

9 minutes ago, Padme said:

Sort of, Belgium leads the group. England needs to score big against both Belgium and Panama. If they want to finish in first place. They can't speculate with Belgium losing or drawing against Tunisia.

Doesn't make much of diff in theory if they finish 1st or 2nd. The Quarter Finals teams which you can't predict anyway are all of a similar quality. Don't see it, England getting making the semi's would be a shocker.

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

Panama seem easier than Tunisia. Then Belgium who knows. On paper Belgium have better team they should top the group. 

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

Panama seem easier than Tunisia. Then Belgium who knows. On paper Belgium have better team they should top the group. 

On paper England and Belgium should be resting players, since it's not going to matter win/lose or draw and group H won't be decided till after anyway.

Ended Alf Ramsey's career, didn't they, the Poles?

Columbia losing though raises the prospect of Columbia only qualifying by being runner-up. Englishmen or Belgians, who would you rather play? Japan or Poland/Senegal (winner), or, Columbia (runner-up). I would prefer to play Japan personally. Small chaps. Recall for Peter Crouch. Crosses in the box. Job done.

But it is silly to speculate. Tunisia might beat Belgium and Panama might beat England for all we know.

7 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

On paper England and Belgium should be resting players, since it's not going to matter win/lose or draw and group H won't be decided till after anyway.

I don’t know you kind of want to win. But it would nice to be through. 

I guess it would smart to rest Kane to avoid injury. 

Sterling wasn’t up to much. 

Might see Welbeck and Vardy. 

Loftus cheek and Rashford. 

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Brilliant play by Colombia. I don't know everyone else, but in my case it's the first time I see a free kick being executed underneath instead of over the barrier. That's innovation!

Pirlo scored that way two or three times for Juventus in a single season.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ended Alf Ramsey's career, didn't they, the Poles?

Columbia losing though raises the prospect of Columbia only qualifying by being runner-up. Englishmen or Belgians, who would you rather play? Japan or Poland/Senegal (winner), or, Columbia (runner-up). I would prefer to play Japan personally. Small chaps. Recall for Peter Crouch. Crosses in the box. Job done.

But it is silly to speculate. Tunisia might beat Belgium and Panama might beat England for all we know.

Tunisia were rubbish. England had so many chances, only England players can’t kick a football. The Stones miss was horrific. 

Columbia look a bit disorganized which I think England could exploit. Poland would just park the bus. I feel more confident they can beat Brazil than Germany. 

Columbia or Japan. But it probably be Senegal and Poland. Japan won’t win another game. Red card and penalty was lucky. 

11 minutes ago, Juventino said:

Pirlo scored that way two or three times for Juventus in a single season.

Ronaldo did it in the Euros. It happens all the time. Since Ronaldo made the up n down freekick so popular, the walls jump. So an option is a daisy cutter. 

Egypt are awful, poor Salah. If only he were Brazilian.

Skeptical of the hosts beating either Spain/Portugual in the next round, but it's not too crazy. I really hope the brackets throw up a Portugal/Argentina QF either way. That'd be memorable.

Edited by AtariLegend

10 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Well see, Japan are no less deserving.

To be honest though I expected  better from Columbia. Maybe England's path to the Quarter Finals will be even easier than expected, then again... it is England.

Alot penalties in this tourny. VAR is going to change the game alot.

The VAR in the Poland game made me think there’s going to be a brawl in the semi finals. Imagine Suarez scoring running back then 10 minutes later it gets called offside. 

Also starting to realize VAR is encouraging refs to not spot holding in the box. VaR will call it if it happens but they may not be doing that because they know VAR is watching. 

3 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Nah. It was an even match until that stupid own goal. Egypt stopped playing football for good 20-30 minutes after that and Russia got confidence and that was it 

So definite peds then. 

Edited by wasted

4 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Egypt are awful, poor Salah. If only he were Brazilian.

Skeptical of the hosts beating either Spain/Portugual in the next round, but it's not too crazy. I really hope the brackets throw up a Portugal/Argentina QF either way. That'd be memorable.

I think maybe Salah will mean more egyptians play in the Prem or other european leagues. 

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I bet the Ruskies are juiced up haha

All the players take steroids to recover from injuries etc. so it wouldn’t be stretch for them to get roided up for Putin. They had no qualification games to get ready. 

They have home support as well which is huge. 

His team mates are attroish. It's a good thing I'm not the betting type, I actually fancied Portugal to struggle quite far into this tourn, in the predictor game I played. 

Even a 1966 Eusebio pulled by Ronaldo wouldn't be enough to carry them to the match I laid out. Oh well.