Sorry (Apollo)

2 hours ago, tremolo said:

It just doesn't fit. The verses have very "spacey" guitars, just a few notes to create an atmosphere. The chorus are pretty much just sustained chords. The solo is the only spot of the song where Slash can actually be himself, but he still can't pull it of, it just doesn't sound right, he is not aiming towards a melody, motif, or structure, he is just noodling and keeps on noodling on the verse after the solo... he needs a spotlight to be himself and play the way he plays and a song like Sorry doesn't have that room for him. Noodling just for the sake of noodling becomes boring and derivative pretty quickly.

I'm only comenting based on the videos/audios posted, and it just doesn't sound right.

It's just different from what you're used to, but it's very much Slash. Which is never a bad thing. If there's no room for him, he makes room. But what's he gonna do? he sounds how he sounds.

Edited by moreblack

I love the Apollo and current band version, but agree. Slashs playing is excellent on the Apollo one except for the solo. It isnt bad, but just kind of aimless. I remember he had a really good one on one of the 2016 versions so he is definitely capable of nailing it with minimal prep.

It's another one of those that's different every time. Like TIL just an open canvas every night. Sometimes it works great, other times some people don't appreciate it, but that's half the fun of improvising for a player. It's not like Bucket & Robin didn't have fun with the songs when they was in the band. Janick in Maiden does the same thing, never the same solo twice. 

Edited by moreblack

8 hours ago, tremolo said:

I'm not debating that point or whether CD songs should be played by Slash. My point is that for whatever reason, Slash and Sorry don't mix well, he can't adapt his playing to the song and the end result is crap.

I disagree too. I think Slash's licks during the verses are great and totally fit the song. He butchered the solo on some nights but most of the time he's spot on with his take.

I'm glad you found one you like. Me personally I like CD.

I don't understand some of the hate it gets. I always chalked it up to the Axl vs Slash thing. I assumed most didn't like it because Slash wasn't on it.

Many have said they now like it with Slash and Duff on it so its interesting to hear from those who still didn't like it after that.

I also never understood some peoples dislike of TIL. 

Sorry is a fantastic song with mediocre lyrics. In regards to the Apollo show: I listen to Chinese Democracy and Better from this broadcast on an almost-daily basis (especially during my workouts). The Sirius mix gives them an edge that I haven't heard in them before. 

Edited by IndiannaRose

19 hours ago, IndiannaRose said:

Sorry is a fantastic song with mediocre lyrics. In regards to the Apollo show: I listen to Chinese Democracy and Better from this broadcast on an almost-daily basis (especially during my workouts). The Sirius mix gives them an edge that I haven't heard in them before. 

Just curious, which lyrics do you find mediocre?  I see this a lot, that people hate the lyrics but no-one ever gives examples and I'm left scratching my head as to what exactly people dislike about it.  To me, Sorry contains some of the most direct and powerful lyrics Axl has written.  

52 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Just curious, which lyrics do you find mediocre?  I see this a lot, that people hate the lyrics but no-one ever gives examples and I'm left scratching my head as to what exactly people dislike about it.  To me, Sorry contains some of the most direct and powerful lyrics Axl has written.  

"You like to have me jump and be good/ But I... Don't want to do it"

"You talk too much/ You say I do"

"Difference is nobody cares about you"

I can see why people like them, but I don't. Axl plays the victim card in his lyrics quite often (it definitely works in some cases), but I think he pushes that narrative too hard here. Here, his words don't sound imaginative nor do they sound particularly original. I do like this stanza, however:

"It’s harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"

38 minutes ago, IndiannaRose said:

"You like to have me jump and be good/ But I... Don't want to do it"

"You talk too much/ You say I do"

"Difference is nobody cares about you"

I can see why people like them, but I don't. Axl plays the victim card in his lyrics quite often (it definitely works in some cases), but I think he pushes that narrative too hard here. Here, his words don't sound imaginative nor do they sound particularly original. I do like this stanza, however:

"It’s harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"

Thanks for the examples, appreciate that.  

Just goes to show how people can approach a song in completely different ways.  I don't get an Axl as victim vibe, quite the opposite; for me the lyrics are vaguely threatening, especially, You don't know who in the hell to or not to believe.  He's positioning the subject as the victim, the one who is vulnerable and doesn't know where to turn.  You don't know who you can trust now but you should believe.  Advice or a warning?  What's gonna happen Axl?  Something nasty?

I get a sense of Axl having this dialogue with someone (the 'you' he keeps addressing) and it's almost as though we're eavesdropping but only hearing Axl's side of it, hence the fragmentation.  So in that regard, the song is a slight departure from Axl's usual story telling/scene setting type songs.  This is an argument.  I can see how people might view the lyrics as simplistic (another reason people say they don't like it) because when we argue with someone, we tend to be use simple retorts e.g you do this, you say that, you always make me do this and that...etc...  

I know Axl says the song is about the media, but to me the lyrics strongly suggest a person, particularly the last verse.  

Anyway, I will stop rambling. :lol: It's always fascinating to me how we all take something different from songs.  I guess that's Axl's intention, really. 

On 8/29/2017 at 3:59 PM, Mascadcar said:

I honestly wish they'd stop replaying this concert on Sirius, Axl sounds terrible on most songs.  This is odd considering when I listened to it live on the app with earbuds I thought it was fantastic.

I was thinking this today.. They play the shit out of it and it really exposes his voice and how bad this line up is at playing certain songs.. November Rain for instance is brutal all around not just Axl either. The tempo still doesn't work for that song which I believe leads to bad solos by Slash. And so much for the theory that it is peoples phones that make Axl's voice sound bad.. He has proven over and over that he still has it when he turns it on.. Has he heard any of these recordings? Do you think he realizes how bad that Mickey Voice really sounds? I heard Sweet Child, My Michelle and Rosie in a row when I turned on Sirius and they were all terrible.. People need to stop hearing that show...

He sounded so bad ass on "I feel Good" the other night and it seemed effortless.  That voice would work well on so many songs...