Sorry (Apollo)

So it's no secret that I didn't like CD... Having Slash and Duff on the songs didn't change that.. I listened to the songs by this lineup with an open mind and just don't think they are good songs... Especially This I Love and Better...   

BUT...

I was driving around this weekend.. Just took a hit off my Medicinal vape ;) and the Apollo show was on Sirius..  "Sorry" came on and I fucking liked it :wow: . That was the only CD song this lineup plays that I hadn't heard them do yet..  I remember seeing it on a NuGnR show once when it was on TV and thought it was "ok" at that time, but it sounded great with Slash on guitar and Duff with those backing vocals.. I also think the lyrics are great, something I have heard people here say the opposite about.

Edited by Tom-Ass

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

So it's no secret that I didn't like CD... Having Slash and Duff on the songs didn't change that.. I listened to the songs by this lineup with an open mind and just don't think they are good songs... Especially This I Love and Better...   

BUT...

I was driving around this weekend.. Just took a hit off my Medicinal vape ;) and the Apollo show was on Sirius..  "Sorry" came on and I fucking loved it :wow: . That was the only CD song this lineup plays that I hadn't heard them do yet..  I remember seeing it on a NuGnR show once when it was on TV and thought it was "ok" at that time, but it sounded great with Slash on guitar and Duff with those backing vocals.. I also think the lyrics are great, something I have heard people here say the opposite about.

good point

the only songs worth listening on this nonsense tour are the axl solo songs

every GNR song is being butchered on each and every show. some of them are passable, like easy. some of them are absolutely unlistenable

axl songs, on the other hand, are being improved each time slash and duff play them

its clear as water that both -- specially slash -- improves each and every one of the axl songs no matter how bad they originally are. some of the axl songs are beyond salvation but sorry is not one of them. its is not a bad song at all

slash takes it to another level obviously. he destroys any of the "talented" million-notes-per-second guitar players axl chose to play with

his playing -- specially the solo -- on this particular apollo performance is indeed pretty nice

can you remove frank? remove frank and it all becomes even better. this guy has such a horrible sense of timing and drama. he almost ruins the song on the pathetic drums "crescendo" on 4m27. is that nonsense on the original studio recording? or is it a "frank fill"? what an amateur

of course that some good quality vape medicine might help to pass these things by :rofl-lol:

ps: axl should save all his energy and specially his rasp/acdc-gnr voice for his solo songs. he should sing all GNR songs with his horrible clean voice since they will all sound like shit anyway courtesy of richard the guitar player and frank the drummer. maybe if he used his acdc/ax/gnr/rasp voice for his solo songs they would sound even better

Yep. "Sorry" is my favorite song on Chinese. Has a very "Classic Guns" (not to mention Pink Floyd)-vibe to it IMHO. Honestly think you could throw it onto Illusions- and most listeners would be none the wiser- which is a pretty significant accomplishment for Rose/Carroll/Mantia et al. IMHO.

I personally like the CD songs in the set, the way they do Better is better, CD sounds more raw and I like Slash on This I Love, plus TIL is really from the old days so its fits with the line up. I am happy with the set list, id like to see some other songs added like pretty tied up. The garden, and Breakdown to replace some of the covers like the seeker. But like I have said in previous post everyone has there own opinion and taste:headbang:

7 hours ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

The Apollo version is great example of modern rock song. Melissa is also great on this song, the outer space ambience synth was awesome, it's even has sound of spaceship takeoff right before Slash solo. 

I get a Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/GnR vibe out of it.... Speaking of Led Zeppelin, who is playing that little snippet of Zep at the end of KOHD at the Apollo? Slash or Fortus? I couldn't find any video. My guess is Fortus as it sounds exactly like Zeppelin.. If it was Slash he would have put his own stamp on it.

Ha Tom Ass - I had a similar experience once with medicine making Ashba into a guitar hero for the night!  But in this case, its different.  Glad you came to enjoy it.  I really like this song.  This take where we could here the synth is especially good to accompany medication.

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, BreakDown2014 said:

Any 2010 live version of the song is much better, even with Ashba on board. The original solo by Buckethead is fantastic

Slashs solo is different but still good

Edited by Sosso

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I get a Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/GnR vibe out of it.... Speaking of Led Zeppelin, who is playing that little snippet of Zep at the end of KOHD at the Apollo? Slash or Fortus? I couldn't find any video. My guess is Fortus as it sounds exactly like Zeppelin.. If it was Slash he would have put his own stamp on it.

I don't know about the snippet, but you can ask few lucky people from here that attend the show though. 

18 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Compare it to all the previous versions since 2009, this one sounds very weak.

Slash clearly still doesn't know where to go during the solo, but he's pretty decent during the verses and two choruses, Axl sounds at times weaker than RIRIV, backing vocals are terrible. I think what strikes me most is Frank's playing, he has some cool runs during the solo.

But yeah, I don't know what made you change your mind suddenly, this song hasn't changed a bit.

At least to that effect, the reunion makes people listening Chinese Democracy even more.

Edited by Silent Jay

21 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

BUT...

I was driving around this weekend.. Just took a hit off my Medicinal vape ;) and the Apollo show was on Sirius..  "Sorry" came on and I fucking liked it :wow: . That was the only CD song this lineup plays that I hadn't heard them do yet..  I remember seeing it on a NuGnR show once when it was on TV and thought it was "ok" at that time, but it sounded great with Slash on guitar and Duff with those backing vocals.. I also think the lyrics are great, something I have heard people here say the opposite about.

Who are you and what have you done with Tom? :lol:

That's actually one of if not my favorite cut on Chinese. It feels like something we would have gotten on a Use Your Illusion 3 in the mid 90's. You've got Floyd and Sabbath meets GnR w/ Sorry. The lyrics are like a slightly more mature, 21st century Get in the Ring. With better lyrics, the song would have been a lot better imho, but for the most part the current lyrics work just fine. 

I've been trying to listen to every rendition of this song on the tour for Slash's solos. This particular song from Chinese has his most inspired work imho. Here's one that's got a cool little Slash solo:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

The CD songs are probably the best thing about the Apollo show imo.

"Better" had Axl at his absolute best this entire tour with those crazy anger-filled screams during the chorus. I did a double take while listening to it.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

7 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

"Better" had Axl at his absolute best this entire tour with those crazy anger-filled screams during the chorus. I did a double take while listening to it.

He's been doing the chorus that way for months, the Apollo show really was nothing different than all the other ones this year lol. I think he started doing it after the japan leg already and people just caught on to it like a month ago. Just search out any better from this year and you hear him do it

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

Too much noodling...

The solo is sort of lost in the middle of the song, with no direction, and Slash not knowing when to stop.

I don't know if he is not familiar enough with the song structure, or if he has a hard time fitting his playing to the style of the song.

I think that Slash is too much of a lead guitarist for a song like Sorry, which is more about an atmosphere, a vibe, where the guitars are relatively simple and don't stand out with memorable riffs. The guitars on Sorry have one purpose: serve the song, stand in the back, just serve the song, don't try to fill in the gaps with unnecessary notes, just serve the song.

There is no room in that song to give Slash the spotlight, and he doesn't seem comfortable with that.

Totally agree.  Slash is a 'busy' soloist, if that makes sense, though when he does choose to simplify he sounds awesome too, i.e. Back to the Moment, is one of my all time favourite Slash solos because it's so simple but it's got SO much feeling.  By the end of the solo that guitar is howling. 

I've never thought Slash did Sorry justice which is why I never like to hear it on this tour and why I wish they'd swap it for Riad.  Or you know, Locomotive.  

21 minutes ago, tremolo said:

I'm not debating that point or whether CD songs should be played by Slash. My point is that for whatever reason, Slash and Sorry don't mix well, he can't adapt his playing to the song and the end result is crap.

I don't really agree, it's a bluesy song, and he's the bluesiest guy GNR has ever had.