Rate: 14 Years - "These Last 4 Years of Madness Sure Put Me Straight"

15 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Wasn't Axl asked why he doesn't play guitar more during one of the 2009 chats he did? I swear he was and he answered 'skill'.

Yep, he said that.  You wouldn't expect him to big note himself anyway, not with guitarists like Slash, Izzy and Buckethead for comparison.  He's such a perfectionist, he'd have fully set his expectation level to Slash standard and then got completely disgruntled when he couldn't achieve it.  

I still think it's plausible that he'd be ok on guitar, maybe even better than ok.  His confidence took a nose dive after 93 and I think he's struggled with it on and off ever since.  

On 16.10.2017 at 12:50 PM, youngswedishvinyl said:

He played guitar during the solo of Madagascar in 2001 :)

WTF. This put me in some sort of alternate dimension where Axl was the typical lead guitarist with the long straight hair, like Zakk Wylde. But yea seems it wasn't even plugged in and there were 3 other guitarists at the time.

And I know this is offtopic but, it was never really clear if Axl played the acoustic guitar intro on Dead Horse on the studio version. He wrote that riff, but he was only credited for guitar on Shotgun Blues, correct?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

11 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I know this is offtopic but, it was never really clear if Axl played the acoustic guitar intro on Dead Horse on the studio version. He wrote that riff, but he was only credited for guitar on Shotgun Blues, correct?

He was credited for acoustic guitar on Dead Horse.

• Like 1

One of the songs that made me pick up guitar, my favourite GNR solo, and pretty good song overall. Love the piano on it too. This is a song where I always recommend people to listen to the rough mix version because it's just way better.

There was this one interview where Slash said he has the rough UYI mixes and how they are vastly superior because they're stripped down versions before they became bloated production wise, and this one really stood out to me in that regard. Bad Apples was the other one (the demo even has Stevens drums) and also Pretty Tied up was vastly superior and had no fade out. They gotta release that shit officially someday.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

14 Years, 10/10

Was one of the most surprising and captivating songs on UYI II when I first dissected the album. Totally took me by surprise, not even sure why but yes, great song by a great musician and singer, Izzy.

On a side note, it always annoyed me the way Axl would come in and pretty much take over the mic, the man doesn't know how to collaborate, but Izzy was so cool about it. 

15 hours ago, Pishy said:

On a side note, it always annoyed me the way Axl would come in and pretty much take over the mic, the man doesn't know how to collaborate, but Izzy was so cool about it. 

Annoys me too, Axl always hogs the mic and Izzy just kinda of gives him the side eye.

Fourteen Years  has always been in my top 5 GnR songs, I love it!  

"You know ...Just like a hooker she said nothin's for free" remains my all time favourite line

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Archtop said:

Annoys me too, Axl always hogs the mic and Izzy just kinda of gives him the side eye.

"You know ...Just like a hooker she said nothin's for free" remains my all time favourite line

Axl should have studied Prince, Prince always gave full recognition to all members of the band, every musician on stage, as it should have been. He directed listeners to do the same, it was genuine because he respected their great talent, didn't feel he needed to compete with it. He wanted to add to their life and expand their oppprtunties. But Prince was a far more sophisticated artist. Or check out the Boss , it's not patronizing , it's look at these awesome musicians.

i mean how many songs did Izzy sing on, axl zoomed in like the mic was a shared oxygen tank? It's so distracting and rude and made me cringe. If they were at the mic together , mic positioned between them, it would have given off a more authentic vibe and keep the song as the focus. 

Izzy is an inspiration, I don't have the patience I've seen him exhibit and god knows it's far greater than I can ever be aware of because I don't know him. But he has an assuredness about him, he is what coolness is about. He cares about the music , the artistry of it. That truth is such a rare thing and that's what makes him so great. It's like he knows, and no one is going to rattle that. His confidence is real, people respect him , he doesn't run things on fear.

it is a great song. The way he comes in , his voice , the way he sings your fave line. The man has style , to quote a line out of Blue Velvet , Izzy is "so suave, he is so fucking suave!"

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Archtop said:

Great, thanks both of you. Always thought it's only me who's annoyed of Axl storming the mic. Also the way Axl introduced Izzy in Indiana 91 it was, I think. So Izzy felt the need to calm him with "only one more time". What's Axl's problem, there? 

• Like 1

i think the song is actually ironically a farewell to axl from izzy cause he knows what kind of guy he is and how things are turning out - very melancholic to say the least especially with the last line of I've tried to see it your way ----- (meaning izzy tried his hardest to make it work but no go) hence this bloated affair with no real new music 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i think the song is actually ironically a farewell to axl from izzy cause he knows what kind of guy he is and how things are turning out - very melancholic to say the least especially with the last line of I've tried to see it your way ----- (meaning izzy tried his hardest to make it work but no go) hence this bloated affair with no real new music 

Glad I'm not the only one to have thought that.  The lyrics fit that notion so well.  I wonder if Axl cottoned on, or at least wondered to himself if that was the case?  You're right, there is a certain melancholy pervading that song, but then, I find that to be the case quite a bit with Izzy's solo work, too.

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Glad I'm not the only one to have thought that.  The lyrics fit that notion so well.  I wonder if Axl cottoned on, or at least wondered to himself if that was the case?  You're right, there is a certain melancholy pervading that song, but then, I find that to be the case quite a bit with Izzy's solo work, too.

I'm also positive that "rock n roll band" he wrote about in PTU was also GNR. Maybe that was the only way Izzy thought he'd be heard at that point. Remember reading about him being pissed his opinion was not asked at all during the early 90s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I've always been of the opinion that 14 years and Don't Cry (Alt lyrics) were Axl and Izzy's way of saying farewell to something in their friendship.

That being said, I also believe that Izzy wrote Move to the City with Axl in mind as the subject matter... :lol:

I agree with @Blackstar, Axl most probably knew what Izzy was trying to say through the song (I mean, it's pretty fucking obvious). People assume that Axl is too egoistical to have recorded the song if he knew that it was meant as a slight against him but I get the impression that Axl probably appreciated the blunt honesty and artistically liked the song enough to agree to do it. 

Two things that stand out to me in this song; Izzy's voice (:heart:) and the piano (very jazz/blues which I like a lot). 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yep. It sucks how they pushed the backing vocals by duff and izzy so far back on the studio version, they are clear as day here. Makes the chorus even better

hey thanks for the reply, this is clearly not steven on this one. wtf!

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

No this is the studio version mixed differently. The demo is not on youtube as far as I could see

i never listened to any demo of bad apples except for that one which, like you said, is not really a demo, it is more of an early mix

are you sure there is a demo with steven

never even heard about a bad apples demo with steven

please let me know if there is one

thanks

On 17/10/2017 at 11:01 AM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yep, he said that.  You wouldn't expect him to big note himself anyway, not with guitarists like Slash, Izzy and Buckethead for comparison.  He's such a perfectionist, he'd have fully set his expectation level to Slash standard and then got completely disgruntled when he couldn't achieve it.  

I still think it's plausible that he'd be ok on guitar, maybe even better than ok.  His confidence took a nose dive after 93 and I think he's struggled with it on and off ever since.  

i dont think axl would ever set his expectation level to Slash standard, thats complete bollocks, axl spent years and years living with/looking at/watching Slash, long enough to know that Slash only achieved `Slash standard` because he plays and practices everyday etc etc etc, something that axl likely would never do

and how can you or anyone else talk about perfeccionism after THAT album?