Axl Press Release on "Look at Your Game Girl" (1994)

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Personal profits to ATWA, true Mansonite :lol:

I’ve always wondered if that last little part was referencing ATWA. Axl didn’t totally demean him like most, and almost seems to be tipping his hat to him in a way. For anyone that doesn’t know, ATWA stands for Air-Trees-Water-Animals and is non profit charity ran by Manson and that younger girl Star who they tried to marry a few years ago and got the usual Manson sensationalized media treatment.

This has always perplexed me in trying to decode this press release. Axl says some things that are flat out untrue about the song and Manson, but doesn’t go over the top in demonizing him. 

Manson was indeed very tied to Hollywood before the summer of 69. Axl is completely wrong in thinking it was written by Dennis Wilson. Manson wrote the song and recorded it August 9, 1968, exactly 1 year before those murders. In fact all the songs on that Lie album were recorded 1 year prior exactly. I forget the record producers name who released that album after his arrest, but Manson was very well known in those circles and on the verge of a capital records deal with producer Terry Melcher, until he was arrested. They were also going to film a Woodstock-esq documentary about “The family Jams” which was the music group living on Spahn Ranch,  which is now referred to as the “Manson family”. Dennis Wilson and co. Ripped off Manson in stealing his song cease to exist for their 20/20 album without crediting Manson which must be what axl is referencing.  It wasn’t so much to do with Dennis ripping Manson off, they were actually friends and lived together for a time, but more to do with The Beach Boys mafia connected manager ripping Manson off willingly behind dennis’s Back. Enter the Beatles theory which takes attention off one of the motives for what actually happened which is the theft of a song by The Beach Boys. It’s all mafia connected as I said and has a lot to do with JFK, Elvis, Reagan, drugs, etc. when you really get into it, you see how bizarre this case really gets. Like a making a murderer on steroids.

Anyway, The title of the album “lie: the love and terror cult” is a play on that famous life magazine cover with his mugshot that was titled “life: the love and terror cult”. 

It’s a great album for what it’s worth. Whatever your thoughts on Manson it’s hard to deny his talent. He’s like hank willams meets bob Dylan. More lynyrd skynyrd then Helter skelter.

If you really want to get into the rabbit hole with Manson’s music, someone is lying and it could be Axl. Nikolas Shreck was the lead singer of a band called Radio Werewolf. He claims that in 87, he was recording an album in the same studio as Guns N’ Roses. Radio werewolf has a lot of bizzare songs sung from the perspective of a serial killer or a nazi, or in this case, a song about Manson  called “Charlie’s girls”. Anyway, Shreck claims Axl was interested in Manson and knew nothing of his musical career at that time.  The interview is on youtube. That’s a total contradiction to what axl said here about discovering it. Shreck has become the main Manson “historian” and had the only book written about Manson that is actually based in reality. Marilyn Manson was very influenced by Shreck to say the least. Without radio werewolf, Manson might not have ever made it back to mainstream in the 90s.

Another odd tidbit about this song was in some form or another, Manson got “paid” for it with the help of Axl. After he was convicted of criminal charges in 71, the civil suits began. Voytek frykofski’s (one of the people murdered) nephew who lived in Poland sued Manson in a victim relief lawsuit. He won so Manson had to pay and the only way he could was taking the money made from his image, books, music, etc. So like anytime someone donated to his commissary, that money went to the relief fund so Charles could never buy anything from the canteen like other inmates. That changed in 94 when Geffen settled the victim lawsuit in an attempt to minimize any association with Manson and gnr/geffen but by doing so they relieved the debt and you can now donate to Manson’s commissary. Also the nephew who was getting the profit was stabbed to death in a strange murder in Poland, again, tied to the mafia. So that is payment in some form at least. I started a topic on here awhile ago that goes into more detail if you are interested.

8 hours ago, Sprite said:

I’ve always wondered if that last little part was referencing ATWA. Axl didn’t totally demean him like most, and almost seems to be tipping his hat to him in a way. For anyone that doesn’t know, ATWA stands for Air-Trees-Water-Animals and is non profit charity ran by Manson and that younger girl Star who they tried to marry a few years ago and got the usual Manson sensationalized media treatment.

This has always perplexed me in trying to decode this press release. Axl says some things that are flat out untrue about the song and Manson, but doesn’t go over the top in demonizing him. 

Manson was indeed very tied to Hollywood before the summer of 69. Axl is completely wrong in thinking it was written by Dennis Wilson. Manson wrote the song and recorded it August 9, 1968, exactly 1 year before those murders. In fact all the songs on that Lie album were recorded 1 year prior exactly. I forget the record producers name who released that album after his arrest, but Manson was very well known in those circles and on the verge of a capital records deal with producer Terry Melcher, until he was arrested. They were also going to film a Woodstock-esq documentary about “The family Jams” which was the music group living on Spahn Ranch,  which is now referred to as the “Manson family”. Dennis Wilson and co. Ripped off Manson in stealing his song cease to exist for their 20/20 album without crediting Manson which must be what axl is referencing.  It wasn’t so much to do with Dennis ripping Manson off, they were actually friends and lived together for a time, but more to do with The Beach Boys mafia connected manager ripping Manson off willingly behind dennis’s Back. Enter the Beatles theory which takes attention off one of the motives for what actually happened which is the theft of a song by The Beach Boys. It’s all mafia connected as I said and has a lot to do with JFK, Elvis, Reagan, drugs, etc. when you really get into it, you see how bizarre this case really gets. Like a making a murderer on steroids.

Anyway, The title of the album “lie: the love and terror cult” is a play on that famous life magazine cover with his mugshot that was titled “life: the love and terror cult”. 

It’s a great album for what it’s worth. Whatever your thoughts on Manson it’s hard to deny his talent. He’s like hank willams meets bob Dylan. More lynyrd skynyrd then Helter skelter.

If you really want to get into the rabbit hole with Manson’s music, someone is lying and it could be Axl. Nikolas Shreck was the lead singer of a band called Radio Werewolf. He claims that in 87, he was recording an album in the same studio as Guns N’ Roses. Radio werewolf has a lot of bizzare songs sung from the perspective of a serial killer or a nazi, or in this case, a song about Manson  called “Charlie’s girls”. Anyway, Shreck claims Axl was interested in Manson and knew nothing of his musical career at that time.  The interview is on youtube. That’s a total contradiction to what axl said here about discovering it. Shreck has become the main Manson “historian” and had the only book written about Manson that is actually based in reality. Marilyn Manson was very influenced by Shreck to say the least. Without radio werewolf, Manson might not have ever made it back to mainstream in the 90s.

Another odd tidbit about this song was in some form or another, Manson got “paid” for it with the help of Axl. After he was convicted of criminal charges in 71, the civil suits began. Voytek frykofski’s (one of the people murdered) nephew who lived in Poland sued Manson in a victim relief lawsuit. He won so Manson had to pay and the only way he could was taking the money made from his image, books, music, etc. So like anytime someone donated to his commissary, that money went to the relief fund so Charles could never buy anything from the canteen like other inmates. That changed in 94 when Geffen settled the victim lawsuit in an attempt to minimize any association with Manson and gnr/geffen but by doing so they relieved the debt and you can now donate to Manson’s commissary. Also the nephew who was getting the profit was stabbed to death in a strange murder in Poland, again, tied to the mafia. So that is payment in some form at least. I started a topic on here awhile ago that goes into more detail if you are interested.

I doubt he was referencing ATWA, i was just being silly :lol:

2 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

@DieselDaisy nailed it when he said Axl watched The Doors film and became obsessed with persecuted bearded men. 

I don't think that's true though. Axl became obsessed with his OWN persecution or what he perceived of it and wanted to create this martyr image for himself. He was already on this trip in 1989, it's just he began speaking about it more and more and more. He grew a beard even before The Doors film was in production (look up the RIP Magazine Ads from 1989). I think as soon as he got famous, all of his paranoiac tendencies just became exaggerated. He felt like he was a victim of everyone else when really he was just a victim of himself. He also had a lot of people gaslighting him and blowing smoke up his ass that he WAS like Jim Morrison, that he WAS this important, tragic, tortured figure. He began to believe his own press. Axl may have identified with Jim Morrison and Charles Manson but I think in this case, the chicken came before the egg. Axl already felt persecuted and alienated (see Out Ta Get Me). These other guys were just people he clung to and identified with in some weird, narcissistic way because he saw them as reflections of himself.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

I don't think that's true though. Axl became obsessed with his OWN persecution or what he perceived of it and wanted to create this martyr image for himself. He was already on this trip in 1989, it's just he began speaking about it more and more and more. He grew a beard even before The Doors film was in production (look up the RIP Magazine Ads from 1989). I think as soon as he got famous, all of his paranoiac tendencies just became exaggerated. He felt like he was a victim of everyone else when really he was just a victim of himself. He also had a lot of people gaslighting him and blowing smoke up his ass that he WAS like Jim Morrison, that he WAS this important, tragic, tortured figure. He began to believe his own press. Axl may have identified with Jim Morrison and Charles Manson but I think in this case, the chicken came before the egg. Axl already felt persecuted and alienated (see Out Ta Get Me). These other guys were just people he clung to and identified with in some weird, narcissistic way because he saw them as reflections of himself.

And what do they all have in common, Rose included? They all had, or had acquired during their perceived 'persecution', beards. It isn't just Morrison and Charlie Manson he was obsessed with either,

kill-your-idols-t-shirt-axl-rose-jesus-c

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And what do they all have in common, Rose included? They all had, or had acquired during their perceived 'persecution', beards. It isn't just Morrison and Charlie Manson he was obsessed with either,

kill-your-idols-t-shirt-axl-rose-jesus-c

Yeah, I do believe Axl was becoming self-obsessed and seeing himself in all these figures. But it was in some warped, narcissistic sort of way. "These guys were persecuted JUST LIKE ME!" Axl's head got deeper and deeper up his own ass.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fashionista said:

I guess you're right that it started before the film because i just googled and Axl supposedly visited Jim Morrisons grave in 1990.

We agree on the main point that Axl thought he was one of these guys. thats why he did this song. the "Name That Artist" thing is BS. 

Edited by -W.A.R-

It's pure speculation, but to me the connection with this song relates to the St Louis riot.

As I understand it, Charles Manson did not personally kill anyone, but received first degree murder convictions because he was considered to be responsible for the actions of his followers.

Likewise, other than throw a few punches, Axl did not personally destroy anything in the St Louis incident, but was charged with inciting a riot because he was held accountable for the actions of his fans.

For the record, I am not criticising either the Manson trial or the St Louis outcome, and I know that the riot was not as serious as the murders. I'm just saying I always figured that was the connection - two examples of people (maybe even musical people if you consider manson one) being held accountable for their role in inspiring a crime rather than personally committing it.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:17 PM, Fashionista said:

There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't.

Edit; already pointed out in thread. Note to self; read thread before responding.

Edited by EvanG

On 31/10/2017 at 6:17 PM, Fashionista said:

not sure if anyone saw this before but this is Axl's last public statement besides the fax from burning hills, until the OMG press release in 99:

Q Magazine - March 1994

Bring Out The Manson

Statement from W. Axl Rose concerning the unlisted bonus track, Look At Your Game, Girl by Charles Manson, on Guns N' Roses' new album, The Spaghetti Incident?

It's come to my attention that some people have taken offence to a particular song, Look At Your Game, Girl, on our new album The Spaghetti Incident?. What it all boils down to is this: The Spaghetti Incident? is 13 historical and musical gems that may have been overlooked. For instance, New Rose was one of The Damned's main songs but for whatever reason a lot of the world didn't hear it.

In Indiana, I was ridiculed and physically attacked for my musical tastes, tastes that I never made any effort to hide. I thought it would be interesting for the so called mainstream and the people who were against this material when I was a teenager to actually hear these songs. Maybe they'll hear something they like, and more importantly, maybe they'll go and find the originals better, including Look At Your Game, Girl. The reason we didn't list that song on our album is we wanted to downplay it. We don't give any credit to Charles Manson on the album; it's like a hidden bonus truck.

It's my opinion that the media are enjoying making a big deal out of Guns N' Roses covering a song that Charles Manson recorded, but if another band had recorded that song, it probably wouldn't have been of interest. The media need their "bad guys" to guarantee some ratings, so they use Manson's name coupled with mine to promo their news programs.

However, when I do something positive, like contribute to charity, it's hard to get the news to pick up on those stories. The media is an interesting beast.

Why did I choose to cover that particular song?

Oddly enough, one of the things we do up at my house is have "Name That Artist" contests where we play obscure songs and everyone tries to name the artist. My brother Stuart found Look At Your Game, Girl at a large record chain and, needless to say, he won that round. Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it.

I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness.

Manson is a dark part of American culture and history. He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies, and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded.

A lot of people can say I wear the "Charlie Don't Surf" T-shirt for shock value, but I've worn that shirt for the past year on tour, all over the world. Yes, I was trying to make a statement. I wore the T-shirt because a lot of people enjoy playing me as the bad guy and the crazy. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him. That's what I'm saying. There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't. I'm by no means a Manson expert or anything, but the things he's done are something I don't believe in. He's a sick individual. Look at Manson and then look at me. We're not the same. Plus, I like the black humor of the "Charlie Don't Surf" line for the movie Apocalypse Now.

I think people think I'm crazy because I believe in telling the truth. I'll admit sometimes I don't do a perfect job of it, but my efforts are true.

It is my understanding that the song was written by Dennis Wilson. To what extent Charles Manson is involved in the publishing, I'm not aware. However, I am donating all my personal profits from having that song on our album to a charity, an environmental group to help protect wildlife and our oceans. In our video for Estranged, which will be the last video for the Use Your Illusion albums, we used dolphins, and this is my way of giving something back to the dolphin, which are endangered and threatened with extinction.

Unfortunately I Don't Surf Either.

Why did I choose

I liked the lyrics

I thought there might be

I like the words

we used dolphins