30th anniversary of the Ritz show

Tomorrow, Feb.2nd, marks the 30th anniversary of the Ritz show. It was aired on MTV and introduced the band to a national audience.  Some of the things that I remember about the show are:           Slash telling the crowd to "Alright, shut up."  Classic. Then saying that Nighttrain wasn't dedicated to drug addiction or drinking but was really about a walk in the park. Axl using Slash's cigarette to light his own right before the guy from the audience hopped on stage, who Axl  gave a thumbs up and smile to. Axl blowing up a condom like a balloon. How happy Steven looked. Axl stage diving during PC and almost getting his thumb ripped off in the process. Then Izzy having a huge smile on his face when Axl got back up on stage. I think  the band claimed their instruments were sabotaged before the show and that was responsible for the somewhat sloppy show. The show was a bit loose but great none the less. 

• Like 2

Remember that this wasn't even a Guns N' Roses show - GNR opened for Great White and Alan Niven snuck them on the bill knowing that MTV would already have cameras there to film Great White

Niven said GNR stole the show and Great White sucked having to follow them

Here's a taste of what followed after GNR that night:

22 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Remember that this wasn't even a Guns N' Roses show - GNR opened for Great White and Alan Niven snuck them on the bill knowing that MTV would already have cameras there to film Great White

Niven said GNR stole the show and Great White sucked having to follow them

Here's a taste of what followed after GNR that night:

Wow, that's right, I do remember that. I taped the Guns show with a VCR from my parent's old school 10 foot satellite dish, lol. It was on a long since defunct Canadian channel called MuchMusic. Cool memories.

Edited by lame ass security
Spelling

10 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Wow, that's right, I do remember that. I taped the Guns show with a VCR from my parent's old school 10 foot satellite dish, lol. It was on a long since defunct Canadian channel called MuchMusic. Cool memories.

That's EXACTLY how I got that show! We didn't have cable in my area so we got a dish from Radio Shack- too funny!

As for the Mustaine appearance;  wasn't that at the earlier Ritz show that recently surfaced?

Dave Mustaine did not walk across the stage during this show... That was the 1987 Ritz show.

Also Guns did not open for Great White.. They were Co-Headlining and Great White was initially supposed to play last. Guns N' Roses were blowing up and they decided to flip the bill last minute because they knew Great White wouldn't be able to follow them. Both bands played the same length of time though. 

• Like 1