Roadie's Diary Guns N' Roses Prague

This is the 2nd time I read that people were not supposed to look at Axl Rose (or the GnR guys) or not even be there / hide behind boxes (!!! :facepalm:) while they’re passing. What stupid shit is that? Can anyone explain please?

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

This is the 2nd time I read that people were not supposed to look at Axl Rose (or the GnR guys) or not even be there / hide behind boxes (!!! :facepalm:) while they’re passing. What stupid shit is that? Can anyone explain please?

me too. i dont freaking get it. <_<

23 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I have no first hand knowledge but I think it doesn't have anything to do with the band. If anything, I'd say it's overprotective promoters trying to make sure everything goes smoothly.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I have no first hand knowledge but I think it doesn't have anything to do with the band. If anything, I'd say it's overprotective promoters trying to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Thanks. Might be. But bizarre and somewhat disrespectful to the people who have to hide themselves from those holy GnR guys... :facepalm:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That and possibly that the roadies are expected to remain professional while working and stay focused on their tasks because of safety issues. If the stage were to collapse, for example, the band and concert goers could be injured or killed. The companies they work for have a huge liability if something fails construction wise.  😏

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yes, agreed management or promoters.

19 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

That and possibly that the roadies are expected to remain professional while working and stay focused on their tasks because of safety issues. If the stage were to collapse, for example, the band and concert goers could be injured or killed. The companies they work for have a huge liability if something fails construction wise.  😏

Yep. "Brown M&Ms" and all that :)

45 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Thanks. Might be. But bizarre and somewhat disrespectful to the people who have to hide themselves from those holy GnR guys... :facepalm:

I don't think that's it at all. If anything, I think it's more like this:

19 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Yep. "Brown M&Ms" and all that :)

I don't think that's it at all. If anything, I think it's more like this:

Gotcha. Fact is, they had to hide behind boxes and that’s what I call a BS rule. „No fotos, no talking to artists, no staring  etc“ I would understand though.

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Hmm. Well. People are there to work. Not to be starstruck little fangirls and boys. So I guess it just makes it easier for everyone to make roadies leave when the band is around. And yes, mostly management or local promoters will issue these demands, not nessesarily the members of the band. Even though these days I guess it would be annoying when even when your backstage everybody pulls out a phone when you walk by to snap a picture. Back when I used to work as a stagehand things were much more relaxed and no one really had a camera.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Hmm. Well. People are there to work. Not to be starstruck little fangirls and boys. So I guess it just makes it easier for everyone to make roadies leave when the band is around. And yes, mostly management or local promoters will issue these demands, not nessesarily the members of the band. Even though these days I guess it would be annoying when even when your backstage everybody pulls out a phone when you walk by to snap a picture. Back when I used to work as a stagehand things were much more relaxed and no one really had a camera.

Yes, because everyone, especially professional roadies who are used to working for famous bands, will be starstruck by anyone famous, huh?

I agree, though, that these ''demands'' might not come from the band.

40 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yes, because everyone, especially professional roadies who are used to working for famous bands, will be starstruck by anyone famous, huh?

You know. Many times there are teenagers employed. Students. Young adults. People, who want to do extra work on the side. At least that was the case with us. The professional ones are the ones travelling with the bands, that's why they are called roadies. And then there are the local stagehands, which usually are all kinds of people, with only a percentage being professionals. Including some, who might just find it awesome to work at rock shows, make some money, see stars backstage and get to go to a free show. People, who might get starstruck.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, EvanG said:

The story above isn't told by a professional roadie as far as I could tell.

The production on this particular tour has 50/50 of professional roadies and local workers.

• Like 1

I think that its simply a manifestation of LN's corporate culture.  LN has taken over much of the industry, top to bottom.  Its cold calculation.  Every detail controlled.  Everything is standardized.  

Say one time a local hire once pissed off a performer and it effected the show, a memo goes out with a new best practice to have local hands hide.  And that same corporate culture attracts staff who are all too happy to make those absurd demands of working class folks.  Obviously just a guess.

Then again, there was that Chris Cornell story about no one was allowed to look at Axl backstage or whatever... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spirit said:

The story above isn't told by a professional roadie as far as I could tell.

The production on this particular tour has 50/50 of professional roadies and local workers.

12 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

You know. Many times there are teenagers employed. Students. Young adults. People, who want to do extra work on the side. At least that was the case with us. The professional ones are the ones travelling with the bands, that's why they are called roadies. And then there are the local stagehands, which usually are all kinds of people, with only a percentage being professionals. Including some, who might just find it awesome to work at rock shows, make some money, see stars backstage and get to go to a free show. People, who might get starstruck.

I know, a lot of kids at my college used to worked at some of the bigger European festivals near me, and I don't know about the person who wrote this but he mentioned working for the Foo Fighters as a roadie so I'm sure he's done this kind of work before. But still... my point is that not everyone gets starstruck or would even care about seeing a ''rockstar''.

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I know, a lot of kids at my college used to worked at some of the bigger European festivals near me, and I don't know about the person who wrote this but he mentioned working for the Foo Fighters as a roadie so I'm sure he's done this kind of work before. But still... my point is that not everyone gets starstruck or would even care about seeing a ''rockstar''.

Yes. Not everyone, but some do and obviously the ones organizing these shows or making these rules do not know who is who, so they forbid it for everyone. And obviously the guy, who wrote this article, is no professional roadie/stagehand either or he would have known better than to snap pics of arriving stars, asking for picks and taking pics of the band performing. He's a journalist. I think it's a huge no go to be working backstage and taking pics of the stars without asking their permission. And to ask in that situation I would feel embarrassed.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

You are most likely right about the fact that not everyone gets starstruck, but some probably do. Then it seems to me Live Nation runs a tight ship and doesn't want to leave any possibilities of annoyance of their artists. Some of their measures seem like overkill, but from their point of view it's probably better to make sure 100% instead of risking any trouble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. Not everyone, but some do and obviously the ones organizing these shows or making these rules do not know who is who, so they forbid it for everyone. And obviously the guy, who wrote this article, is no professional roadie/stagehand either or he would have known better than to snap pics of arriving stars, asking for picks and take pics of the band performing. He's a journalist.

I wouldn't know. All I know is that he wrote that he worked as a roadie for the Foo Fighters. In every field of work you find people that are less professional, so just because he took a picture doesn't mean he isn't a professional roadie/stagehand. Of course, there are always idiots who care about fame or would be 'starstruck' just because a celebrity would walk by, but usually that's for either young kids or idiots... I'd expect most people working as roadies or stagehands not to be that way, but yes... I guess that can probably sometimes be the case.

10 minutes ago, Spirit said:

You are most likely right about the fact that not everyone gets starstruck, but some probably do. Then it seems to me Live Nation runs a tight ship and doesn't want to leave any possibilities of annoyance of their artists. Some of their measures seem like overkill, but from their point of view it's probably better to make sure 100% instead of risking any trouble.

Yeah. Also you have to look at it from the point of the artist. It's not just one day. They are doing this day in, day out. They travel around the world in a fishbowl. The backstage area is a somewhat of a sanctuary. And yet they would have strangers go in and out wherever they are. Some discreet, some annoying. I'm sure most artists are not really bothered by that or have gotten used to it over the years, but some clearly are, especially right before a show and in an effort to make them feel more comfortable, strangers crossing their way are limited by "good-meaning" people.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. Also you have to look at it from the point of the artist. It's not just one day. They are doing this day in, day out. They travel around the world in a fishbowl. The backstage area is a somewhat of a sanctuary. And yet they would have strangers go in and out wherever they are. Some discreet, some annoying. I'm sure most artists are not really bothered by that or have gotten used to it over the years, but some clearly are, especially right before a show and in an effort to make them feel more comfortable, strangers crossing their way are limited.

I would understand if there's a separate space or room that is only for the band and their entourage, but if the demands are so that there can be no stagehands or production people walking around at all in the backstage area, then I don't get it... like you saw in that video, it's pretty huge and you can't expect everyone to clear out just because the band walks by there on their way to the stage.

Edited by EvanG