Songs that make you emotional

Silverburst80

Y'know songs that tug at your heartstrings, put a lump in your throat or even make you cry. or even just remind you of a time in your life or that you can relate to.

This ones always a killer for me, probably the way Layne died such a slow death makes the song so powerful.

My grandads favourite song and played at his funeral, always reminds me of him.

This one puts a lump in my throat sometimes which is pretty much unheard of for a hip hop song. I guess growing up with a single mum in a shitty flat (well until she re-married) theres things in there i can relate too. Especially using newspaper for toilet paper on occasion haha

46 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Using newspaper for toilet tissue was standard practise in England for the working classes during the times Ghost is referring to in that song.

I'm sure everybody's used newspaper at some point in their lives, i couldn't think of a another rapper that would rap about it in such a poignant manner though.

7 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I'm sure everybody's used newspaper at some point in their lives, i couldn't think of a another rapper that would rap about it in such a poignant manner though.

There's another similar one by Ghost-Deini, Whip You With A Strap thats in a similar vein.

In answer to the thread though, its weird, different songs can at different times, it matters more i think where you are emotionally when you listen to em.  The strangest things can have that effect.  Or like, you can recognise the potential for it given the right situation.  The Beatles have tons of songs like that but I'm not gonna list em lest i sound like a great big poof :lol:  Nah, fuck that, what, me, emotional, do me a fuckin' favour, are you callin' me a queer?!  I'll fight you! :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

In answer to the thread though, its weird, different songs can at different times, it matters more i think where you are emotionally when you listen to em.  The strangest things can have that effect.  Or like, you can recognise the potential for it given the right situation.  The Beatles have tons of songs like that but I'm not gonna list em lest i sound like a great big poof :lol:  Nah, fuck that, what, me, emotional, do me a fuckin' favour, are you callin' me a queer?!  I'll fight you! :lol:

Hey man i did it! :lol:, most sad songs come across abit corny but if their done right they'll get ya.

20 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Hey man i did it! :lol:, most sad songs come across abit corny but if their done right they'll get ya.

If you think about it the entire appeal of music is emotional.  Thats kinda how it works.  Some Weird Sin by Iggy Pop is an example of a song where, I dunno, to me its really emotional.  Not exactly lump in the throat about to cry emotional but...maybe a rung or two belong that but i do sense a really despairing quality sublimated in it somewhere.  To me it seems like a person saying that...he does drugs to kind of deal with whatever sort of emotional issues are thrown up by the realities of always being on the outside of things. 

Well, I never got my license to live
They won't give it up
So I stand at the world's edge
I'm trying to break in
Oh, I know it's not for me
And the sight of it all
Makes me sad and ill
That's when I want- Some Weird Sin

Kinda like saying you don't fit in...know you never will, don't really want to...but there's still some sort of like emotion about it.  'Things get too straight, I can't bear it'  Its a complex little bundle of emotion.  It kinda makes more sense when listened too because its a violently defiant song, very energetic and propulsive, its way too up to be sad but what its singing about is a kind of...self aware meathead defiance of once own predicament.  And its the self awareness of it that kinda...I dunno, I always felt that from it.  Lust for Life is generally about that I think, about the propensity for people with extreme enthusiasms to get really fucked up.  There's a sadness in it though somewhere. 

Its there in Jim Morrison, in the Unknown Soldier, there's a despairing quality to the way he kinda scream-sings that finishing verse before the 'all over baby!', its weird like that, its kinda like this out of control ride of emotion that veers from one to the next.  I find the most throat-lump creating sincerity in that kinda thing rather than entire songs that sort of give you the feeling that the writer sat down and wrote it specifically to evoke a particular kind of emotion.

Carmelita by Warren Zevon has that kinda effect too...its weird, in the process of creating this post I'm noticing a certain consistency in that like, despairing songs seem to be the ones that evoke that kinda emotion from me.  Perhaps I'm wrong and none of these songs are about any of that shit (though with the Iggy one he's claimed some of the above), its just what I get from em I guess.
Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1