Apparently Slash is asking reporters to sign contracts before interviews

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

So gullible! You clearly have no idea how media works :lol:

Slash needs to sell his album AND TICKETS TO HIS SHOWS, as much as the magazine needs to sell mags. They feed each other and they make agreements.

However, a powerhouse like Rolling Stone, with decades of prestige and history on their shoulders certainly don't need Slash to sell more mags. They don't live off Slash. They have thousands of artists from all over the world wanting to get just some little space in their pages (or website). If Slash was going to never give them an interview again they will survive, be sure of that ;)

Slash and none of Guns N' Roses are in any power position here AT ALL. Especially when they are not in the peak of their career anymore. Actually, this is the moment when they will need more help of media and in the subsequent decades, if they want to remain relevant for longer time.

Slash doesn't need Rolling Stone magazine in order to sell records and tickets. Especially with lots of other media outlets that have done interviews with him recently and haven't irritated him as much. Even if he didn't do any press at all and only posted something online or whatever saying "new album out Sept 21, tour dates below" (which is basically what's on the home page of his website), he would still sell loads of tickets. There's a lot of people who've been patiently waiting for the last 2 years for this album and tour; they don't need an interview to persuade them to buy anything. With the internet and social media available he doesn't really need any help from the media. I don't agree with you where you're saying that GnR aren't in any power position because they didn't do hardly any press until Slash's recent interviews and I think they could pick and choose who they wanted to give interviews to. Rolling Stone and the others have probably been begging them behind the scenes for a while for something, a quote or whatever if not a full interview.

15 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Slash doesn't need Rolling Stone magazine in order to sell records and tickets. Especially with lots of other media outlets that have done interviews with him recently and haven't irritated him as much. Even if he didn't do any press at all and only posted something online or whatever saying "new album out Sept 21, tour dates below" (which is basically what's on the home page of his website), he would still sell loads of tickets.

Ok. Then why is he even bothering? :shrugs:

He's done like 5-6 interviews in the last two months or so.... why is that? Is he addicted to media, then? Because if Slash doesn't need them at all and they all "irritate" him so much, with how big Slash is at this point of his career, he could easily not give a fuck anymore, following your logic, that's what he should do, right?

But he is still doing it, so I'd like to know why...

19 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

There's a lot of people who've been patiently waiting for the last 2 years for this album and tour; they don't need an interview to persuade them to buy anything. With the internet and social media available he doesn't really need any help from the media.

But the Internet and social media are niche places nowadays, they are not mainstream. Using his social media outlets he can only reach the ones who already follow him. Anybody new are out of the radar and it's really hard to get new following.

27 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't agree with you where you're saying that GnR aren't in any power position because they didn't do hardly any press until Slash's recent interviews and I think they could pick and choose who they wanted to give interviews to.

Yes, they can pick and choose who to give interviews to.... For some weird reasons, they end up talking silly shit to some newspaper in Iceland or breaking news on Swedish television :lol:

The announcement of the reunion and Coachella gigs was given to Billboard, though, so I don't think we can say they can do without big media for the rest of their lives.

32 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Rolling Stone and the others have probably been begging them behind the scenes for a while for something, a quote or whatever if not a full interview.

Begging? LOL I really doubt it.

For sure, they've handed e-mails offering a microphone for whenever they want to talk. That's routine in journalism.
But the biggest stories in the history of press are usually brought up by the very own people involved.
Izzy himself was desperately looking to tell his version and contacted several media guys, or have you all forgotten?

press-tweets.jpg

BN-MV872_izzytw_DV_20160301105150.jpg

:lol:

Please, don't give me journalism lessons!

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:10 PM, ludurigan said:

“Before I can speak to Slash I have to sign a contract that says that if anything goes wrong – if some kind of shit hits the fan because of what I write – and GN’R lose money, then Classic Rock carries the can. This is no small thing when you’re dealing with the fourth biggest earning tour of all time”

https://www.alternativenation.net/slash-reporter-sign-bizarre-contract-interview/

78862_0_wide_ver1535638588.jpg@642

Nice short 2 "barely a paragraph" each clickbait article.  

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

The only reason why Slash ever got to do his solo shit is because of Guns N' Roses.

He's attached to that band forever, whether he likes it or not and he knows it.

Expecting to be forgotten as a GN'R member, especially after you've reunited and are part of said millionaire tour, is sort of.... dumb.

That doesn't explain why he became even more popular with each album he released. The Conspirators tours started in clubs and ended in arenas.

Over the years I read enough interviews and reports with topics just about his music and the new bands he was in, with no mention of GNR.

Of course the interviewer wants to write something about the reunion. But Slash has all the rights to notgive an answer to these questions and a contract makes that easier. 

However, to say Slash's only possibilty to get an interview with a major media outlet is to talk about GNR is factually wrong and shows that you didn't followed his career outside of Guns

I guess if media are willing to sign a contract to interview them, it means that there is demand and they really want to make cover stories on them. Especially genre-oriented outlets like Classic Rock, which has been writing a lot about GnR for years. But even in the case of big magazines like Rolling Stone, although they cover different genres and young artists, I doubt that the majority of their readers are very young people. I don't have statistics or anything, but I don't think this demographic reads magazines like RS nowadays.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

Ok. Then why is he even bothering? :shrugs:

He's done like 5-6 interviews in the last two months or so.... why is that? Is he addicted to media, then? Because if Slash doesn't need them at all and they all "irritate" him so much, with how big Slash is at this point of his career, he could easily not give a fuck anymore, following your logic, that's what he should do, right?

But he is still doing it, so I'd like to know why...

But the Internet and social media are niche places nowadays, they are not mainstream. Using his social media outlets he can only reach the ones who already follow him. Anybody new are out of the radar and it's really hard to get new following.

Yes, they can pick and choose who to give interviews to.... For some weird reasons, they end up talking silly shit to some newspaper in Iceland or breaking news on Swedish television :lol:

The announcement of the reunion and Coachella gigs was given to Billboard, though, so I don't think we can say they can do without big media for the rest of their lives.

Begging? LOL I really doubt it.

For sure, they've handed e-mails offering a microphone for whenever they want to talk. That's routine in journalism.
But the biggest stories in the history of press are usually brought up by the very own people involved.
Izzy himself was desperately looking to tell his version and contacted several media guys, or have you all forgotten?

press-tweets.jpg

BN-MV872_izzytw_DV_20160301105150.jpg

:lol:

Please, don't give me journalism lessons!

Izzy is nowhere near as big now as the other guys so yes, he needs the media in order to make any announcements. Idk why Slash has chosen to do interviews, but he doesn't need to. If he didn't it wouldn't hurt his sales. And those media outlets have all been waiting for the chance to be able to interview someone. GnR holds the cards here, not the other way around. 

Just curious, do you have any background or anything in journalism? I don't but the way you responded seems to imply that you do.

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I guess if media are willing to sign a contract to interview them, it means that there is demand and they really want to make cover stories on them. Especially genre-oriented outlets like Classic Rock, which has been writing a lot about GnR for years. But even in the case of big magazines like Rolling Stone, although they cover different genres and young artists, I doubt that the majority of their readers are very young people. I don't have statistics or anything, but I don't think this demographic reads magazines like RS nowadays.

Not much time ago RS was sold and RS already not is in the best moment too, like the newspaper in general.

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

That doesn't explain why he became even more popular with each album he released. The Conspirators tours started in clubs and ended in arenas.

Over the years I read enough interviews and reports with topics just about his music and the new bands he was in, with no mention of GNR.

Of course the interviewer wants to write something about the reunion. But Slash has all the rights to notgive an answer to these questions and a contract makes that easier. 

However, to say Slash's only possibilty to get an interview with a major media outlet is to talk about GNR is factually wrong and shows that you didn't followed his career outside of Guns

It certainly does explain it.... He was already famous with Guns when he started his solo career, he didn't begin from scratch :shrugs:

And the rest can be attributed to his hard work, full dedication and comminment to keep himself in the spotlight constantly producing material.
This is called trajectory, career path.

Quote me where I said that "Slash only possibility to get an interview with major media outlets is to talk about GN'R". I didn't say that at all.
What I said is that he is wordly famous because of Guns N' Roses and that will always be the reason why he will be remembered in the history of rock.
I'm not trying to take anything away from what he's done in between and after, but he is Slash of Guns N' Roses, first and foremost.

Yes, Slash has all the right to not talk to anyone, but this doesn't seem to be the case. He is willing to do these interviews, no one is putting a gun against his head to do them.
He's agreed to each one of them voluntarily and nowhere in the contract says that he doesn't want to talk about Guns N' Roses.

Actually, he's talked about Guns N' Roses in each one of them.

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Izzy is nowhere near as big now as the other guys so yes, he needs the media in order to make any announcements. Idk why Slash has chosen to do interviews, but he doesn't need to. If he didn't it wouldn't hurt his sales. And those media outlets have all been waiting for the chance to be able to interview someone. GnR holds the cards here, not the other way around. 

Just curious, do you have any background or anything in journalism? I don't but the way you responded seems to imply that you do.

Everybody needs the media to make announcements, otherwise, why did GN'R send their press release to Billboard and the rest of media outlets?

Uhuh, you don't know why Slash is doing the interviews which, according to you and others, he HATES so much doing them, but he's in auto-flagellation mode just because.... :question:

Yes, I've heard all the printers stopped printing in 2016 and they were turned on two months ago, when Slash finally agreed to talk to them :lol:

41 minutes ago, killuridols said:

It certainly does explain it.... He was already famous with Guns when he started his solo career, he didn't begin from scratch :shrugs:

And the rest can be attributed to his hard work, full dedication and comminment to keep himself in the spotlight constantly producing material.
This is called trajectory, career path.

Quote me where I said that "Slash only possibility to get an interview with major media outlets is to talk about GN'R". I didn't say that at all.
What I said is that he is wordly famous because of Guns N' Roses and that will always be the reason why he will be remembered in the history of rock.
I'm not trying to take anything away from what he's done in between and after, but he is Slash of Guns N' Roses, first and foremost.

Yes, Slash has all the right to not talk to anyone, but this doesn't seem to be the case. He is willing to do these interviews, no one is putting a gun against his head to do them.
He's agreed to each one of them voluntarily and nowhere in the contract says that he doesn't want to talk about Guns N' Roses.

Actually, he's talked about Guns N' Roses in each one of them.

Everybody needs the media to make announcements, otherwise, why did GN'R send their press release to Billboard and the rest of media outlets?

Uhuh, you don't know why Slash is doing the interviews which, according to you and others, he HATES so much doing them, but he's in auto-flagellation mode just because.... :question:

Yes, I've heard all the printers stopped printing in 2016 and they were turned on two months ago, when Slash finally agreed to talk to them :lol:

No it doesn't explain it at all.

I agree he had a platform because of GNR, but that was on a level for playing clubs. 

Everything above that level is a success he reached on his own.

And while you didn't say exactly this:

"Slash only possibility to get an interview with major media outlets is to talk about GN'R"

you said this, which in my opinion is basically the same:

"It's highly unlikely that any big media outlet would allow Slash to only talk about his new album and zero Guns N' Roses."

But hey it's ok, we just disagree on this topic. Life's going on.

8 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

No it doesn't explain it at all.

I agree he had a platform because of GNR, but that was on a level for playing clubs. 

Everything above that level is a success he reached on his own.

That's exactly what I said. Read again.

9 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

you said this, which in my opinion is basically the same:

"It's highly unlikely that any big media outlet would allow Slash to only talk about his new album and zero Guns N' Roses."

But hey it's ok, we just disagree on this topic. Life's going on.

Of course I know he gave lots of interviews before reunion, to talk about his VR or his solo stuff and he even got mad in a video because he was still asked about GN'R.

But what I said it is in reference to the present, not the past. He is back in Guns N' Roses and he has his Conspirators stuff, but most people want to know about his return to GN'R, so expecting that media will not ask him one single question about the 2 years he's been on the road with Guns N' Roses, is pretty naive, isn't it?

That was my whole point. I'm sorry you guys get so upset about it that it annuls your comprehension.

29 minutes ago, killuridols said:

That's exactly what I said. Read again.

Of course I know he gave lots of interviews before reunion, to talk about his VR or his solo stuff and he even got mad in a video because he was still asked about GN'R.

But what I said it is in reference to the present, not the past. He is back in Guns N' Roses and he has his Conspirators stuff, but most people want to know about his return to GN'R, so expecting that media will not ask him one single question about the 2 years he's been on the road with Guns N' Roses, is pretty naive, isn't it?

That was my whole point. I'm sorry you guys get so upset about it that it annuls your comprehension.

Yeah I agree