Slash or Axl - Whose the bigger asshole (Pre reunion)

Nickjames

So before the reunion which led to the NITLTT many people stated Axl was the bigger asshole of the stuff that went down over the last 20 years, whereas some believed Slash was the bigger asshole. whose side were you on before this reunion and Why? did you side with Slash or Axl and who did you rhink was truely the bigger jerk and why do you all believe this?

8 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Well considering Axl during a '02 concert said Slash was in his ass, he would definitely have to have a size-able asshole in order to accomplish such an accomplishment - so my vote goes to him

so you think slash was the bigger ass hole then?

I still liked both of em.  Having said that, you look at the constant lineup changes, the excuses, the whining and bitching about stuff and the clear inability to work properly within the confines of a true functioning band and it's quite clear that Mr Rose is by far the biggest "asshole".

Let me preface by saying that I started out in the late 80's and early 90's as an 'AXL' guy. And I still see him as the greatest rock n' roll front man ever. But as I started getting into and learning how to play guitar circa 1993, I became a 'SLASH' guy. And he became my favorite guitarist, along with Stevie Ray Vaughan, and still is to this day.

When the whole break up thing went down circa 1996, I took SLASH's side. And as much as I still like and admire WAR, I suppose I still lean towards SLASH today.

I get that SLASH has told numerous lies (or mis-remembered some key things due to years of drug use). But I still hold AXL mostly responsible (they were all somewhat responsible) for the band falling apart. Most of all, I didn't like that AXL kept and re-used the GN'R name w/o most or even some of the original core. I still feel that was a BIG mistake on his part.

And let's face it. Between the two, AXL's reputation in the music world and among peers is far less stellar. While I believe AXL has mellowed and changed a lot in the past 20+ years, he still did a ton of things to piss off and hurt fans, peers, industry people, etc. to earn the title.

Meanwhile, SLASH has generally been good to his fans (with Snakepit and Blues Ball, I witnessed him get off his tour bus and sign autographs and take pictures til everyone was gone at least 4-5 different times) and rarely, if ever, was the reason the band went on stage hours late night after night.

For those reasons, I'd say AXL has to be the obvious winner. But I still love the guy. He's the ultimate bad boy rock n' roller as far as I'm concerned. ;) W/O the riots, late starts, on-stage rants, controversial lyrics, etc, he wouldn't be that guy and GN'R never would have been known as 'the most dangerous band in the world'.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

There's only one Mick Jagger ;)

That's certainly true. But as much as I dig the Stones, they were more my mom and dad's era while GN'R was born during the Summer of 1985 just before by freshman year in HS. So I followed and grew up with them during some very important years for me. And AXL had a huge impact on me during that time. It's all about era. GN'R was my era and who I wanted to be like back then. The ultimate fuck you we don't care what anybody thinks band. And nobody embodied that more than WAR.

But Mick is a bad ass in his own right, no doubt about that. When it comes down to the age old question, Beatles or Stones?...... I'm most definitely a Stones guy ;)

Edited by thunderram

In answer to the thread, you don't know, its all hearsay bollocks, we take a helluva lot for granted when we discuss our favourite bands and what happened here there and at such and such time in their lives, stating shit like its fact, I find myself doing it but I try not to because really we don't know what the fuck goes but a general rule of thumb in this life that isn't often wrong is that it takes two to tango.  Axls a massive cunt clearly but then, looking at it sympathetically, do you know what it's like dealing with fuckin' junkies and crackheads?  It requires the patience of a fuckin' saint let me tell you...and then to be involved in a situation where you've gotta work with em day in day out, can't be easy.  Imagine going to work tommorow in your office or shop or garage or wherever the fuck you work...and the bloke next to you is a fuckin' brownhead.  

In terms of music slash as i thought he was the only one keeping the old school guns spirit alive especially with SKMC.

With the constant guns lineup changes, onstage hissy fits, thinking it was a good idea to have ashba, and thinking CD was the next evolution to tag as "guns n roses" the asshole tag goes to axl.

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

And one Freddie mercury 😉

Mick Jagger is the fuckin’ root of it all (technically James Brown actually), he is the archetype, he is the one that inspired all the best, there’s shades of Jagger in almost anyone of substance who followed in that whole sphere from Jim Morrison to Iggy Pop and all thousands of others, they (The Stones) have the better tunes, they have more of em, they were the most debauched, the coolest...they were the fuckin’ business.  Queen I could never stand.  Matter of opinion and everything but I find Queen unbearable and Freddie Mercury too, he looks like a plumbers apprentice dressed as a ballerina...and his teeth, fuckin’ hell, they’re like fencing.  But as I say, just one mans opinion, they had millions of fans, they can’t all be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Mick Jagger is the fuckin’ root of it all (technically James Brown actually), he is the archetype, he is the one that inspired all the best, there’s shades of Jagger in almost anyone of substance who followed in that whole sphere from Jim Morrison to Iggy Pop and all thousands of others, they (The Stones) have the better tunes, they have more of em, they were the most debauched, the coolest...they were the fuckin’ business.  Queen I could never stand.  Matter of opinion and everything but I find Queen unbearable and Freddie Mercury too, he looks like a plumbers apprentice dressed as a ballerina...and his teeth, fuckin’ hell, they’re like fencing.  But as I say, just one mans opinion, they had millions of fans, they can’t all be wrong.

Yes len its all down to taste. I thought the lizard king while i love doors stuff, thought he came across as an ex private school boy trying to be bad to look cool. I love stones stuff, the some girls era fir me. I thought it was keith and ron wood that made the band badass during that time. The beatles i think are the most overrated band in history, but i guess its how people felt and saw those bands during those eras and living through those times.

The only queen stuff i dont like are the pianos ballad stuff, but always like watching wembley 86 and the london 74 and 75 shows rainbow and hammersmith shows.

18 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

How about Iggy Pop?

Of course.

I obviously didn't say GNR/AXL were the only ones. But they are the ones that spoke loudest to me -- that were also in the sweet spot of my era.

While GN'R influenced me, the members of GN'R were obviously heavily influenced by Iggy, the Stones, Aerosmith, Queen, Elton John and numerous others. As much as I like and appreciate those artists and recognize how they helped pave the way for GNR, they aren't #1 for me.

Edited by thunderram

7 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

The beatles i think are the most overrated band in history, but i guess its how people felt and saw those bands during those eras and living through those times.

I'm with you on the entirety of this statement. I think the Beatles were certainly good, but very overrated to me. Just not my cup of tea. The Stones, Hendrix and Doors from that era are more important to me.

And you're spot on about time and place. That has almost everything to do with it.

• Like 1