Will there ever be another all-time great rock album?

The Holographic Universe

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Sorry fella, I didn't mean to insult your taste, from your post I couldn't tell whether you liked em or just objectively thought they were talented and good.

My reaction was harsher than intended, so it's all good. We all have different tastes and opinions. I never really got what's so great about Nirvana for example. I like a couple of their songs, but that's it. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sosso said:

Like it or not, but it's the decade of female pop singers. Classic albums are made by them nowadays. 

Lady Gaga - The Fame (2008)

Lady Gaga - Born this Way (2011) 

Ariana Grande - My Everything (2014)

Adele - 25 (2015)

Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman (2016)

I think you forgot about Taylor Swift's 1989.  I didn't listen to it in full aside from the hits that you would hear in the backgrounds of malls and stuff, but I did read that that album sold like hotcakes.

Edited by Anguyen92

An all time great rock album in a classic sense with bluesy roots and soulful guitar solos? I highly doubt it. I mean how many times have you seen jazz being revived to mainstream? Lady Gaga does it, and does it quite well, I may say, but the genre has nowhere near the impact it used to. The same goes for old school rock, I'm afraid, it's just not what current kids grow up with (most likely their parents didn't grow up with it too). So I'd say, if you don't consider any modern rock albums great, don't expect them getting greater any time soon either. There's simply too much of a gap between the bands that were named above and the current incarnation of rock, and so those of us who love the 20th century rock scene probably will never find albums of newcoming bands great by our standards.    

For me, I think the last great rock album didn't take place in the 90s.  Look at Green Day's American Idiot or Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory.  Those albums were pretty big in the mainstream for guys in my age bracket growing up.  Everyone knows Boulevard of Broken Dreams and everyone knows In the End and despite the perception of those bands in their later days, people just latched on to those albums when it came out.  That stated, around 2005 onwards, I don't see any rock band really capturing the youth's attention like those albums did in their time and who knows if it can happen again?  I don't see it happening and honestly, that's fine with me.  Everyone wants rock to be mainstream again, but that just means it gives promoters a chance to gauge ticket prices at an inflated price than the threshold that I'm willing to pay anyway.

Edited by Anguyen92

On 2/3/2019 at 11:44 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

I cannot foresee another album such Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side of the Moon, Back in Black, A Stones album(insert here), Metallica’s Black album, etc, etc. Does nay poster here believe such an album will exist again?

I'm certain of it. it will be as great but like a combination of all of the above so it will feel and sound new and it will be a part of the culture so not disposable. Greta Van Fleet is not it. not enough influences or talent. it will take time but rock n' roll literally can never die. it goes in a circle.

plus it's not that hard rock had it's time. that's false. it had a certain peak and there will be more peaks. we are in a valley right now. hip hop is in decline already. people are starting to miss guitars again. believe it or not Guns N' Roses got a major part in that. they will pump new blood and inspiration when they release their trilogy of albums. It won't all be released at one time but in stages. an album every 2 years. the future is bright and colorful...…..

edit: this is all speculation, I don't know anything

Edited by Rovim

On 3/16/2019 at 8:06 AM, Rovim said:

I'm certain of it. it will be as great but like a combination of all of the above so it will feel and sound new and it will be a part of the culture so not disposable. Greta Van Fleet is not it. not enough influences or talent. it will take time but rock n' roll literally can never die. it goes in a circle.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they lack talent; to imitate Led Zeppelin this much you have to have talent. I had some hopes in them bringing the bluesy rock sound back, but... like you said they're just not it.

I agree that it goes in circles and that someday rock will again be more prominent in mainstream, but will it be great? Greatness is a very subjective thing; I mean Imagine Dragons (here's modern rock for ya) have been quite acclaimed, and then 2000's kids could argue that pop punk had great albums. I'm sure it speaks to the culture it's aimed at, but me being so far removed from current culture, it's exceedingly harder to find something I could call great. Oh, and album concept in general is getting more and more obsolete anyway, so the future is pretty bleak.   

Country is the new rock. It is at the height of its popularity as it ever was and ever will be. A lot of it is shit. But there's some good stuff. Maybe they have an all time great al album somewhere. 

I think everyone is more focused on singles just like the before late 60's.

13 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

More people are alive today.

90s too if you think about it.  I’m not really aware of current country scene.  Got a few hints on the outlaw country stuff which is fuckin’ brilliant, the little I’ve heard, not sure how mainstream it is.

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

90s too if you think about it.  I’m not really aware of current country scene.  Got a few hints on the outlaw country stuff which is fuckin’ brilliant, the little I’ve heard, not sure how mainstream it is.

Yeah, 90's is when it started crossing over. Less twangy.

On 2/3/2019 at 4:44 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

I cannot foresee another album such Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side of the Moon, Back in Black, A Stones album(insert here), Metallica’s Black album, etc, etc. Does nay poster here believe such an album will exist again?

Not in the sense that it was 10-20 years ago.  Because of listening on demand, some of those tracks that really grew on you because they were too hard to skip, or listening to albums all the way through are a thing of the past.  Even in the CD days, when you could skip songs at will, it was still an event to have the CD handy, change it out etc.  Now, you listen to that one song that caught your attention, and move to another artist by simply asking Alexa to change it.

3 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Not in the sense that it was 10-20 years ago.  Because of listening on demand, some of those tracks that really grew on you because they were too hard to skip, or listening to albums all the way through are a thing of the past.  Even in the CD days, when you could skip songs at will, it was still an event to have the CD handy, change it out etc.  Now, you listen to that one song that caught your attention, and move to another artist by simply asking Alexa to change it.

kids even today listening to entire albums by Dylan, classical music, rock, jazz you name it. through youtube they become famous. Adele and Lady Gaga but then hard rock as well and it will become part of the fabric of the culture like the 60's and 70's imo

Edited by Rovim

On 3/20/2019 at 5:07 AM, Georgy Zhukov said:

Country is the new rock. It is at the height of its popularity as it ever was and ever will be. A lot of it is shit. But there's some good stuff. Maybe they have an all time great al album somewhere. 

I think everyone is more focused on singles just like the before late 60's.

But country doesn't have a universal appeal. Who is really listening to it outside the US and maybe Canada? GnR, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Pink Floyd - those bands are considered great all over the world. Out of all country acts, I think it's mostly Shania Twain with her POP country stuff that did well, in Europe at least. But a country song that had the best crossover into the foreign market must still be Achy Breaky Heart :lol:  

1 hour ago, vikute91 said:

But country doesn't have a universal appeal. Who is really listening to it outside the US and maybe Canada? GnR, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Pink Floyd - those bands are considered great all over the world. Out of all country acts, I think it's mostly Shania Twain with her POP country stuff that did well, in Europe at least. But a country song that had the best crossover into the foreign market must still be Achy Breaky Heart :lol:  

I don't see why its any less accessible than rock, its pretty similar thematically and musically, there's a lot of country elements in rock.  Not only that but artists like Garth Brooks etc sold ridiculous amounts of records, I wouldn't discount the pulling power of country, its been reasonably popular in England since forever.  It actually even overtakes rock in a way in that there (or were, i can't speak for now) a lot less posers in country music.  Johnny Cash is world reknowned too...as is Dolly Parton.  A lot of those great rock n roll bands got their start listening to country, George Harrison and Ringo Starr for example.  You could make a good argument that there was more country to Elvis Presleys arsenal than just about any other genre and he's the most famous singer ever arguably.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vikute91 said:

I heard Country  music is really popular outside the US. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't see why its any less accessible than rock, its pretty similar thematically and musically, there's a lot of country elements in rock.  Not only that but artists like Garth Brooks etc sold ridiculous amounts of records, I wouldn't discount the pulling power of country, its been reasonably popular in England since forever.  It actually even overtakes rock in a way in that there (or were, i can't speak for now) a lot less posers in country music.  Johnny Cash is world reknowned too...as is Dolly Parton.  A lot of those great rock n roll bands got their start listening to country, George Harrison and Ringo Starr for example.  You could make a good argument that there was more country to Elvis Presleys arsenal than just about any other genre and he's the most famous singer ever arguably.

I never said that country is somehow musically inferior to other genres or that it was not influential to some of the bands. Accessibility? What is inaccessible really in this digital age? However, accessibility doesn't equal worldwide popularity. My point was, compared to North America and maybe UK, country's popularity elsewhere (especially in non-english-speaking world) is minuscule. Some who take the time to educate themselves on music and its history perhaps would be familiar, but the masses wouldn't know beyond a few hit songs. 

You mentioned Garth Brooks. I'm sure he's a very talented musician and I'm aware that he has sold a TON of records, yet this always perplexed me, cause in many countries you never even hear of him. Sort of like Alla Pugacheva; I bet most of you wouldn't know who she is, but she's sold over 250mln records according to Wikipedia. As I know, Brooks hasn't toured that much outside North America, either. I myself discovered him through Rolling Stone (American edition) only when I was much older and, to tell the truth, couldn't be able to name a single song if there was a gun at my head.    

5 hours ago, vikute91 said:

Man, lol, that song.  It's like that dude that had a seizure every time he heard Mary Hart's voice.  I'm pretty sure I had a mini stroke whenever I heard it.

I never said that country is somehow musically inferior to other genres or that it was not influential to some of the bands.

I never said that you did either.

Accessibility? What is inaccessible really in this digital age? However, accessibility doesn't equal worldwide popularity.

I didn't mean accessible in that sense I mean accessible as in relateable or familiar. 

However, accessibility doesn't equal worldwide popularity. My point was, compared to North America and maybe UK, country's popularity elsewhere (especially in non-english-speaking world) is minuscule. Some who take the time to educate themselves on music and its history perhaps would be familiar, but the masses wouldn't know beyond a few hit songs. 

You'd be surprised what the masses know.  A lot of very very big bands have touched upon country music in their work and as such its kinda of in a lot of DNA by default but I guess I see your overall point in relation to pure country artists not being AS popular in the rest of the world as they are in America and such.

I do think though that country has a great deal of scope to be popular because its so similar to rock in so many ways.  Quite frankly its one of the building blocks of rock n roll and all of those are popular, folk, country, blues etc.  Elvises early work is one of the most well known work of all time and a fair bit of that is country.  The Rolling Stones, songs like Honky Tonk Women, Far Away Eyes, Happy, again VERY well known tracks from arguably the biggest rock band in the world are country.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that its a lot more out there than you think, its just people seem to find facsimille easier to swallow than the real deal.  Its even kinda entered into hip hop too with artists like Yelawolf and such, though I don't know his work much.  Then some of the offshoots of punk and such have a great deal of country, Hank 3, Reverend Horton Heat, bands like The Meat Puppets are pretty country.  Its kinda disparate and scattered but pile it altogether and I think you'll find it amounts to a pretty substantial and wide ranging cultural contribution, one that would not make the notion that country is capable of broad across the world popularity an entirely illogical one. 

The truth is rock n roll, pure rock n roll, was over the day The Stooges dropped Raw Power, there was nothing else you could do with it.  A few people took it places by melding other things to it, like The Mondays and Black Grape did it with dance, people could expand on it...but the core thing, the meat and potatoes of it, you can’t take it no further than Raw Power...The Pistols matched it just about with Nevermind the Bollocks...but nothing can surpass Raw Power...nothing even had the nerve to try, quite frankly it blows everything else out of the water.

30 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The truth is rock n roll, pure rock n roll, was over the day The Stooges dropped Raw Power, there was nothing else you could do

nah, that phase was over. just a phase. it was glorious though and it will never be that but it will be something else that will be great. combination of old shit creates new shit. before the stooges there was buddy and chuck

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

nah, that phase was over. just a phase. it was glorious though and it will never be that but it will be something else that will be great. combination of old shit creates new shit. before the stooges there was buddy and chuck

Exactly, it will (and has been) something else.  But that pure rock n roll, Raw Power is as far as you can take that, I’m not saying pure as some kind of compliment necessarily, I’m simply talking about the basic elements that made it.

• Like 1