Back in Time: Las Vegas 2000

Shit.  I got too excited at first, cause the audio quality sounds like it could have been recorded in a club.

But listening again, I'm almost certain this is just a clip from 93, cause it sounds like 93 Axl and the full band playing acoustically.   I've never heard this particular recording though, but I'm sure someone can identify it.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0fdVLQPhtzy

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Well.

This is interesting.

This is very very interesting.

If this is a fake, it's the most convincing fake I've ever heard.

If it's real, how the fuck did some random dude end up with it in 2019 when it's been common knowledge for almost 20 years that were no circulating copies??

Either way, I've never heard this before, so I'm impressed as fuck.

Damn.  Didn't think I could be surprised anymore.   Well done.

thanks buddy, it was on youtube until 1 year ago at least, I remember making listening to a GNR fan too. Also years ago I was searching a lot about 96-2000 era, because there is not much stuff or people talking about that and that was how I found the information about Axl's throat surgery in 2000 and I could confirm it listening to this audio and then watching HOB 2000. That particular era is so interesting because many people was involved, Duff + Matt were there after Slash left, Dave Navarro, Josh Freese, Zack, etc. I think because of contracts they do not talk honestly about it, but what always caught my attention was why Axl didn't sing at that time, everybody talk about instrumentals only. You know, it's GNR, you never will get the full truth!

Edited by lost un the jungle

7 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Shit.  I got too excited at first, cause the audio quality sounds like it could have been recorded in a club.

But listening again, I'm almost certain this is just a clip from 93, cause it sounds like 93 Axl and the full band playing acoustically.   I've never heard this particular recording though, but I'm sure someone can identify it.

I'm certain you're right with this.

8 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

oh man, you made me doubt too, I will keep searching, I remember the audio in Youtube with the GNR Greatest Hits logo showing this gig, damn I wish I could find it

I think I'd come across this on youtube presented as Axl and Gilby from 2000, but it's almost definitely from 1993.

Axl's voice and the beginning of the solo sound like 1993. Moreover, there's piano on this clip. These videos are from Gilby's gigs in August 2000 and his band did't use piano:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ericstacey said:

I loved the 2002 Vma's, but I can understand at the same time people watching it and thinking "wtf is this".  I always felt things were never right after Philly and the long break until 2006. I liked the lineup, but I went with my older brother to a 2002 concert, who said it "was good, but its just not the same without Slash and Duff". 

I think Axl/Bucket/Brain etc. could have been funky/creative enough to actually work in the 2000s, and make people be less concerned w/Slash & Duff’s absence. That said- nothing can save you if play sketchily at the VMAs, miss shows, have tours canceled, and still don’t get your record out. Plus, a year or two later the ex-Gunners had a very successful commercial comeback with VR.

Frankly, it’s utterly amazing IMHO that Axl/Guns were able to “resurrect” things (at least by Chinese Guns standards) between 2006-2014 to the degree they did...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Yeah....I got suckered on my first listen cause there's no crowd noise, the audio was so low, and the fact that Gilby sings first and Axl doesn't join in til later.   I thought "holy shit....could this be legit?"   But by the second time I listened I knew it was just a 93 show.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, right before it cuts off during the guitar solo, someone says "Your turn Slash!" so yeah, that's a dead giveaway right there, unless we believe that someone actually had the audacity to make a Slash joke onstage in front of Axl at his first public appearance in almost a decade.

Edited by estrangedtwat
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

That's undoubtedly that dullard Sorum on drums. It's a clip from 93 when they did the acoustic sets.

This is correct  This performance sounds different because they are playing it in a different key than they usually do (C major as opposed to the usual D major, in Eb standard tuning) but it is for sure GNR.  Not sure what date this is though but for sure from 1993.

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

This is correct  This performance sounds different because they are playing it in a different key than they usually do (C major as opposed to the usual D major, in Eb standard tuning) but it is for sure GNR.  Not sure what date this is though but for sure from 1993.

Don't think they're playing it different from normal. Guns were always tuned to E flat so the tune would technically be in C#.

Figuring it's just an artefact of the original tape recording. That or someone adjusted the pitch to try and pass it off as something it isn't..