The Dirt (Motley Crue)

Ericstacey

2 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

New Tattoo was another Comeback album. Even though it’s missing Tommy Lee - you can clearly tell the band wanted their old status back. Nikki claims at the end of the Dirt book that New Tattoo is the “real” follow-up to Dr. Feelgood.

It might be their all around worst album. The songs aren’t just bad - the sound of it is dead - flat. Which says a lot for Mike Clink, seeing as how the celebrated producer was hired for how tits he made GN’R sound.

I think you could have defintely gone on to tell the stories of the guys lives, but you couldn’t have done so without going through the albums they were making and it would have really illustrated how poor the albums were in comparison to the eighties.

They ended the film at the proper moment because the music just couldn’t hold a candle after that.

Fair enough - I thought by comeback albums you meant reunion albums, hence not counting New Tattoo since it wasn't the full original lineup. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I used to have a friend who loved Generation Swine. He considered it their magnum opus. 

I mean...it had Shout At The Devil '97 on it, which I maintain is the superior version of the song. Other than that... :mellow: 

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Were Motley even that big of a draw after the Carnival Of Sins tour? They were a relatively successful touring band but on one of those tours they were the opening act (Route Of All Evil tour) and the Cruefest's benefited from having a bunch of other bands. The last time I saw them was 2013, they didn't sell out the arena here (capacity is about 7,000) and tickets were $25 for the back half of the bowl.

I watched the movie on Sunday, it wasn't awful but definitely wasn't great either. The 'Motley Crue Story' would've worked so much better as a mini-series or two-part documentary... the movie format was rushed, cheesy and (at times) inaccurate, which was expected, but still, they shopped this movie around for over a decade and this was the best result they could get?

They were the same as any other creatively stagnant 80's band (Def Leppard, Foreigner, Poison, etc.). It got to the point that they had to do package tours to maintain a draw - Aerosmith, KISS, Poison, so on. Hell, even the farewell tour they had to have a major act (Alice Cooper) attached to help shift tickets. I'll maintain that they had exactly one great tour since Carnival of Sins - Cruefest 2, where they played all of Dr. Feelgood. But even that was pure nostalgia. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

They were the same as any other creatively stagnant 80's band (Def Leppard, Foreigner, Poison, etc.). It got to the point that they had to do package tours to maintain a draw - Aerosmith, KISS, Poison, so on. Hell, even the farewell tour they had to have a major act (Alice Cooper) attached to help shift tickets. I'll maintain that they had exactly one great tour since Carnival of Sins - Cruefest 2, where they played all of Dr. Feelgood. But even that was pure nostalgia. 

Cruefest 2 was pretty cool, I saw the show in Washington state. The 'themes' of the stages and 2 sets were awesome, and the backing singers definitely helped :lol: Godsmack put on a hell of a show too, when Nikki and Sully had that feud going on and Sully was trying to upstage Motley. It was hard to argue against them being the best band of the night tbh.

• GNFNR 1

The movie is a bit of a guilty pleasure, but kind of laughable as well. 

As for the criticism they are getting about the portrayal of women in it, I think it's well deserved.  That may have been the norm in the sunset strip eighties, but to portray it as they did in this movie (Sixx telling Vince to muzzle his girlfriend, Tommy's physical abuse, the girl under the table), they seem like they are proud of it to this day which makes them seem like out of touch morons imo. 

I can't figure out for the life of me, why Tommy Lee would agree to being portrayed in the movie as punching his girlfriend in the face.  But I suppose in his mind, he thought it was a defense, she is shown as stabbing him and calling his mother a name, so she "deserved" it. 

The lack of self awareness just turned me off.  Three of them, (Sixx, Lee, Neil) seem like bad behaving adolescents that never grew up.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2019 at 11:23 AM, toroymoi said:

Watching this really felt like wasted time.

Also there's nothing endearing about their, to put it lightly, antics. From what I've read, they left out a lot of things that would make the band look like the monsters they were.

Based on this post I have to ask, what you were expecting of a Motley Crue biopic exactly? :lol:

• Like 1

I watched the movie twice, partly because I fell asleep in a few spots, after a long night lol. It was okay, but like a lot of movies, I think the book is a lot better. They just didn't have enough time to cram all the crazy things in to a few hours during the movie.

• 2 weeks later...