Nike Betsy Ross sneakers were at $53k on Ebay before being pulled.

DeadSlash

There are levels of "Holy shit!" to this...

1. The controversy itself is still pretty head scratching

2. Can you imagine bidding $53k for a pair of sweat shop sneakers?

3. Can you imagine being the poor bastard that worked at a Foot Locker and thought you were going to literally get life changing money?  They were up to $53k after a few hours, and had almost a full 7 days left... then... BAM, all gone.

All of this... my mind cannot process...

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

As you say it's pretty mindboggling spending that much. What's the issue? They used a confederate/racist flag?

Not even, they used the Betsy Ross flag.  The one with the thirteen Stars and the Red and white stripes.  Essentially the original American flag as it is today.

Anyone can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but from everything I've read and heard about the controversy, the core issue is that the flag is from a time in American history when we still had slaves.  In other words, it's not like "Well, Betsy Ross was a racist." it is literally that at the time it was made America still had slaves, ergo the flag is racist.  I saw some additional chatter that some white supremacist group cooped the flag along with the confederate flag, but 1. That was added as a sort of afterthought "This flag represents racism because when it was created in 1777, black men were still slaves.... also, white supremacists waved it at a rally."  2. We can't let racists coop whatever they want.  If a neo Nazi group said "All white people should buy electric cars." we can't then deem electric cars as racist and have them pulled off the market.  This is literally the first significant American flag, it's the flag of the American revolution.  

Again, the "it was coopted by white power people" is a secondary supporting argument that isn't always mentioned, and when it is, it is in defense of people saying the original reason for it being "offensive" is lunacy.  The main reasoning for it being "offensive" is that there were still slaves in 1777, so the flag is racist by default.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/nike-colin-kaepernick-air-max-1-fourth-of-july-flag-offensive-colonies-a8983701.html

Edited by DeadSlash
added a link.

In the US, black people didn't have the same legal recognition as white people until the late 60s. Does that make the flag of the time racist too? 

People of colour still get a tough time now. What degree of racism does the US have to reduce to before they can put stars and stripes on a pair of trainers? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I agree with you that no one should decide something like electric cars are racist if Nazi's were to suddenly advocate them. But there's no link there.

Volkswagen was Hitler's baby and they got away with it. Hugo Boss too.

Absent from the analysis, as ever in the US discourse, is the First Peoples. Once enslaved and who are still under the boot of the state with the current flag. And as alluded to earlier, Nike used to have a horrid track record with sweat shops and child workers, mostly poc...

Therefore," I pledge allegiance to I voluntarily associate with true justice, freedom and liberty for all"

WV7JfFeh.jpg

Nah, the Two Row is the only flag that governs me

PVtK9QJh.jpg

Edited by soon

The shoes weren’t bad looking either. I’ve never once heard that flag being offensive or representing slavery or anybody ever having a problem with it. Honestly, if someone screams I’m offended over that flag I’d have to call bullshit. Nike should’ve called bullshit.

35 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I’ve never once heard that flag being offensive or representing slavery or anybody ever having a problem with it. Honestly, if someone screams I’m offended over that flag I’d have to call bullshit.

Actually, It's been going on for a few years. Liberals believe showing adoration for the American flag is showing support for Trump. It's asinine but they actually believe it.

12 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Actually, It's been going on for a few years. Liberals believe showing adoration for the American flag is showing support for Trump. It's asinine but they actually believe it.

Smh. I can’t really put into words how dumb I think all that crap is.

I know people have been crying about this type of thing for awhile, I’ve just never heard of that old Betsy flag being brought up. Like never. The current flag yes, but not the old one. Just kinda feels like another made up agenda.

15 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Sidenote, I find it very strange that 'coloured people' is a no no but 'people of colour' is somehow PC.

@DeadSlash I agree with you that no one should decide something like electric cars are racist if Nazi's were to suddenly advocate them. But there's no link there. There is a historical link to a time of rampant racism and all the atrocities that went with it. Besides it doesn't even represent all the states?

So why not use the current American flag why use this random outdated one? Is it commonly used? 

I agree that there shouldn't be a link, but that was the link that was drawn by some.  In other words, these were 2 different reasons to be offended that intersected.  One school of thought was that the Betsy Ross flag was racist because America owned slaves when it was our flag, and a separate argument was that it was offensive because a white supremacy group adopted it flying next to the confederate flag as their symbol.  As it the discussion and debate grew in scale, those 2 sides pointed at each others argument and said  "Yeah, and that, too!"  So there were people coming into the discussion with one point and one point only, "This flag is racists because some racists were waving it." 

It's additionally insane because the hate group waving the Betsy Ross flag probably had like 30 people tops.  So 30 assholes out of 280m people have redefined the history of the American flag.  We give racists too much power.  A white power rally with about a dozen people shows up somewhere and it's national news.   

10 hours ago, soon said:

Absent from the analysis, as ever in the US discourse, is the First Peoples. Once enslaved and who are still under the boot of the state with the current flag. And as alluded to earlier, Nike used to have a horrid track record with sweat shops and child workers, mostly poc...

Therefore," I pledge allegiance to I voluntarily associate with true justice, freedom and liberty for all"

WV7JfFeh.jpg

Nah, the Two Row is the only flag that governs me

PVtK9QJh.jpg

Meh, what is the expectation, exactly?  That we end all holidays and replace them with penance to the Native Americans?  Not for nothing, but nobody in this world is "Where they started"  Every population on Earth fought with someone to be where they are.  When other high and mighty countries pseudo intellectuals come down off their high horse and apologize for their ancestors wiping out Homo Heidelbergensis, Denisovan, Neanderthal, Homo Florensiensis, and others, then we can talk about how evil we all are.  We can have a great big "I'm so sorry" party and sing.

10 hours ago, 31illusions said:

The Washington Monument was built to commemorate a slave owner named George Washington. Tear it down, I'm offended by it.

This is similar to the conversation I had with my father.  If we use the standard of "If there was racism at the time, then thing XXXX is also racist."  we can eradicate 60% of everything and anything American.  When people would say "Ahhh!!! they are trying to wipe out history!" I was like "calm down, shut up, drama queen...." now I'm like.... "maybe." smh.

9 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Meh, what is the expectation, exactly?  That we end all holidays and replace them with penance to the Native Americans?  Not for nothing, but nobody in this world is "Where they started"  Every population on Earth fought with someone to be where they are.  When other high and mighty countries pseudo intellectuals come down off their high horse and apologize for their ancestors wiping out Homo Heidelbergensis, Denisovan, Neanderthal, Homo Florensiensis, and others, then we can talk about how evil we all are.  We can have a great big "I'm so sorry" party and sing.

I dont follow?

This argument would apply to every re-design of the United States flag until 1863, and the current flag really as it is really just the same flag as the Betsy Ross except with the acquisition of additional stars to represent added states. The political correct brigade have not really thought this through, have they?