New Gilby Clarke Album (The Gospel Truth)

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Gilby is singing.

Its probably been at least 15 years since ive heard him on pawn shop guitars. 

I still reckon he should get a front man. I like his guitar work but not the vocals. Just my opinion

• Like 1

Yeah I concur. I revisited pawnshop recently in the lead up to this record. Vocals aren't as good as I remember. His stuff with slash and the snakepit record all great instrumental work. Even the vocalist on first snakepit is better than him and I didn't like that guys voice that much either. 

Enjoy the record. Very good instrumentally with a cohesive “vibe” throughout IMHO. Really like “Rusted N’ Busted”, which to me is easily Hangover or even Pawnshop quality.

Gilby’s been knocked for having a “thin” voice for a long time (think he’s even mentioned/acknowledged it). That said- I think he has the attitude that if “Gilby Clarke” is going on the front of the record- Gilby Clarke needs to be singing on the record. Maybe hurts the final product- but on the other hand I find I respect that old school approach.

Anyway, when it comes to true solo records- I still always enjoy Gilby’s and Tommy’s the most..

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Anyway, when it comes to true solo records- I still always enjoy Gilby’s and Tommy’s the most..

I think Chinese Democracy is likely the best of the GNR solo albums. Though the Slash one is pretty good too. Ain't Life Grand has its moments as well.

1 hour ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Enjoy the record. Very good instrumentally with a cohesive “vibe” throughout IMHO. Really like “Rusted N’ Busted”, which to me is easily Hangover or even Pawnshop quality.

Gilby’s been knocked for having a “thin” voice for a long time (think he’s even mentioned/acknowledged it). That said- I think he has the attitude that if “Gilby Clarke” is going on the front of the record- Gilby Clarke needs to be singing on the record. Maybe hurts the final product- but on the other hand I find I respect that old school approach.

I'm not in any hurry to check out Gilby's new record though will most likely give it a spin at some point, but I agree on Tommy. Out of all the solo records/side projects that members have put out, Tommy's is the best in my opinion. The two Bash and Pop records are tremendous also.

• GNFNR 2

21 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I think Chinese Democracy is likely the best of the GNR solo albums. Though the Slash one is pretty good too. Ain't Life Grand has its moments as well.

Love Chinese- but to me it’sband effort (or maybe collective effort is better?) if not necessarily the band most people wanted. I take Axl at his word though that an “Axl Rose” record would be a different animal (more instrumental I believe he said).

5 hours ago, Dean said:

I'm not in any hurry to check out Gilby's new record though will most likely give it a spin at some point, but I agree on Tommy. Out of all the solo records/side projects that members have put out, Tommy's is the best in my opinion. The two Bash and Pop records are tremendous also.

Yep. Tommy’s got a tremendous discography once you toss in B&P, Perfect, etc. too (to say nothing of the ‘mats of course). So talented.

• GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, ruttu69 said:

Great record, perfect for the summertime beer drinking / barbecue 

Just listened to it again in full on way to work this morning. It really is stellar instrumentally (look forward to really breaking down the credits at some point). Great background music if you’re just a classic Rn’R guy/gal...

• Like 1