Kiss vs. David Lee Roth

SAU3R

Kiss dropped DLR as the opening act for their current shows reportedly for not being up to par. Even though everybody knows he sounds like shit these days it’s kinda ironic, given the fact that Paul Stanley does lots of lip syncing because he’s not up to par as well.

DLR already responded on social  media: 

Is there actual proof of Paul lip syncing? I don't follow KISS as much as I used to because of how shit Paul is these days. Backing vocal tracks and rhythm guitar tracks are no doubt used (not unlike Motley Crue), but is his lead vocal being mimed? I'm not so sure. If he was going to do that then why not mime to a vocal that doesn't sound like garbage.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:12 PM, Cosmo said:

I don't think he lip syncs... he sounds pretty bad most of the time nowadays so... makes no sense. He did, actually, at one point, pre-record his guitar parts to "focus on his stage presence" a while ago.

I saw KISS 2 years ago before the pandemic and both Gene and Paul sounded awesome. 

I also saw Dave with Van Halen awhile ago in Dallas and Dave can't sing anymore. He more or less talks through his songs, but the guy can still do those kicks.

I also know Paul raved about having Dave open for KISS but then Gene came and said how his hand shakes and he can't sing anymore.

Gene has now apologized to Dave, but not sure if he'll be back on tour with them.

I see KISS on October 1 and looking forward to it. Anytime I've seen KISS they have always delivered 100%.

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw KISS 2 years ago before the pandemic and both Gene and Paul sounded awesome. 

I also saw Dave with Van Halen awhile ago in Dallas and Dave can't sing anymore. He more or less talks through his songs, but the guy can still do those kicks.

I also know Paul raved about having Dave open for KISS but then Gene came and said how his hand shakes and he can't sing anymore.

Gene has now apologized to Dave, but not sure if he'll be back on tour with them.

I see KISS on October 1 and looking forward to it. Anytime I've seen KISS they have always delivered 100%.

I saw them in 2009 and it was one of the best concerts of my life. However, when I saw them in 2014 (if I’m not mistaken), Paul was in pretty bad shape compared to before and Gene sang about half of the set, which was significantly smaller than in ‘09. Would see them one last time, tho.

I just checked out some 2021 videos based on some discussion in another thread, and yeah, Paul is 100% miming to tracks. There are bits piped in live and his banter, but I compared Love Gun between three different shows and the inflections are identical across all three. Detroit Rock City is painfully obvious because he sings the first verse live and sounds like trash, and then the second verse kicks in and suddenly he sounds great. The timbre and clarity both improve making it incredibly obvious.

• 1 month later...