The FIRST 50 GIGS

24 minutes ago, recklessroad said:

The technology to incorporate video didn't  really exist back when we did the book and we didn't consume video back then like we do now. The show is a more robust look at the archives. Again happy to answer these questions and more on a Q&A here.

Cheers for dropping by, Marc. I've really been enjoying the content so far and listened to the interview with Jack Lue earlier on. Do you know if the GNR camp are aware of this next chapter with Reckless Road, or at the very least, Slash? It's a shame that it's not publicly endorsed by them, but hopefully the numbers keep creeping up regardless as the quality of content is superb.

It may be worthwhile looking into popping a few videos up on YouTube also if you have an account set up for Reckless Road, little snippets of the Episodes to entice people in will go along way! Just a couple of 2/3 min videos of interesting stories while advertising the Patreon to access the full thing etc. Just a thought!

Edited by Dean
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Episode 5 is out. Verdict so far? It's given great insight on the build up to the classic lineup getting together along with a bit of backstory on the Strip. The Chris Weber episode was the best so far, he comes across really well. If you haven't already, be sure to check this out on Patreon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

3 hours ago, Dean said:

The cost for membership has been reduced to £11.50 ($15 US) for the top membership, which gives you access to everything. Episode 7 is now out:

https://www.patreon.com/first50gigs_gnr/posts

Fantastic content so far. If you're not familiar with the content Marc and co have been putting out, I highly recommend getting signed up.

Is it just audio? Does it have subtitles?

59 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Is it just audio? Does it have subtitles?

Naa, it's a video podcast, though there is a tier that allows you access to audio only, which is slightly cheaper - unsure if that's been removed though. The video Spanish subtitles.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dean said:

Naa, it's a video podcast, though there is a tier that allows you access to audio only, which is slightly cheaper - unsure if that's been removed though. The video Spanish subtitles.

Thank you @Dean, very good to hear, I actually prefer video podcasts, so I'm very interested now. Are the subtitles available just in Spanish or in English as well? I know I could send a PM, but there might be other people interested in these info, so I just thought to ask you here.

3 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

Thank you @Dean, very good to hear, I actually prefer video podcasts, so I'm very interested now. Are the subtitles available just in Spanish or in English as well? I know I could send a PM, but there might be other people interested in these info, so I just thought to ask you here.

There are English subs, too.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The last episode of season one has been uploaded, I'm only just getting round to seeing it now - with Steven Adler. If you're without something to watch on all the usual streaming platforms, if you haven't subbed, you'll get instant access to all previous episodes and bonus content if you sign up and doing so will help convince them to proceed with Season 2! Essential viewing:

THE FIRST 50 GIGS: Guns N' Roses is creating exclusive audio and video podcasts | Patreon

• 3 months later...

I got the below email a few hours ago regarding the future of the show. Looks like that going forward it'll be produced under another Podcast Network that will have an already established audience that will help fund the rest of the series to tell the story of GNR's formation and early days. I thought something like this would have had much more of a significant impact on the fanbase in terms of subscriptions, even to the really high hundreds, but for whatever reason, it just wasn't to be. The effort going into the podcast's creation is of top quality and all the episodes were brilliantly crafted, so I can only hope that going forward it remains to that standard under the new producers.

Cheers for the great work, Marc, Jason and the rest of the team behind the scenes!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/future-of-first-73868400?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_fan

Spoiler

1.jpg?token-time=1668211200&token-hash=a

Hi Patrons. We hope you are still enjoying Season One and we have a big update here about the future of the show.

It was a tremendous effort by our amazing team to write, record, edit and publish Season One and upon completion, we needed to find funding to continue producing the remaining seasons. Our Patreon subscriptions targets fell well short of what we needed to self fund this project, so we began looking for lead sponsors who would fund the show to completion.

During that search, an opportunity was presented to us to license the show to a major podcast producer who has five number one hits shows behind them and let them recreate The First 50 Gigs in a new format. After telling the GNR origin story, they would go on to profile other band origin stories in other cities, including Seattle, New York, London, Austin, etc.

We decided to move forward with them, since they will be bringing thousands more listeners to this great story.

What that means is that our current version of The First 50 Gigs will remain here on Patreon until January 2023 and then we will begin to post new content and behind the scenes content from the new show in development. You all will get exclusive and early access to that production in 2023.

So while it’s a bit of a bitter sweet end to Season One, since the show will be produced with another team, we are thrilled that the project will continue in a different format and reach thousands more people. We will be posting more about this new show soon.

What that means for our subscribers moving forward?

You can continue supporting the show at your current subscription of $15 a month and have access to everything we’ve published.

In November, we’ll be lowering the annual payment from $100 to $50 and that will also give you access to all of Season One content for a year and allow you to be the first to see material from the new show without having to pay every month.

We appreciate your support during this production and we are happy to answer any questions you might have. Please drop us a line.

If you do not wish to continue supporting the show and you’ve watched all the content to date, make sure you cancel your subscription before November 1st. We’d be disappointed if you left, but understand if you’ve consumed all the content and are waiting for us to publish more in 2022.

Thank you Patrons.

Jason and the First 50 Gigs Team

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dean said:

I got the below email a few hours ago regarding the future of the show. Looks like that going forward it'll be produced under another Podcast Network that will have an already established audience that will help fund the rest of the series to tell the story of GNR's formation and early days. I thought something like this would have had much more of a significant impact on the fanbase in terms of subscriptions, even to the really high hundreds, but for whatever reason, it just wasn't to be. The effort going into the podcast's creation is of top quality and all the episodes were brilliantly crafted, so I can only hope that going forward it remains to that standard under the new producers.

Cheers for the great work, Marc, Jason and the rest of the team behind the scenes!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/future-of-first-73868400?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_fan

Hide contents

Hi Patrons. We hope you are still enjoying Season One and we have a big update here about the future of the show.

It was a tremendous effort by our amazing team to write, record, edit and publish Season One and upon completion, we needed to find funding to continue producing the remaining seasons. Our Patreon subscriptions targets fell well short of what we needed to self fund this project, so we began looking for lead sponsors who would fund the show to completion.

During that search, an opportunity was presented to us to license the show to a major podcast producer who has five number one hits shows behind them and let them recreate The First 50 Gigs in a new format. After telling the GNR origin story, they would go on to profile other band origin stories in other cities, including Seattle, New York, London, Austin, etc.

We decided to move forward with them, since they will be bringing thousands more listeners to this great story.

What that means is that our current version of The First 50 Gigs will remain here on Patreon until January 2023 and then we will begin to post new content and behind the scenes content from the new show in development. You all will get exclusive and early access to that production in 2023.

So while it’s a bit of a bitter sweet end to Season One, since the show will be produced with another team, we are thrilled that the project will continue in a different format and reach thousands more people. We will be posting more about this new show soon.

You can continue supporting the show at your current subscription of $15 a month and have access to everything we’ve published.

In November, we’ll be lowering the annual payment from $100 to $50 and that will also give you access to all of Season One content for a year and allow you to be the first to see material from the new show without having to pay every month.

We appreciate your support during this production and we are happy to answer any questions you might have. Please drop us a line.

If you do not wish to continue supporting the show and you’ve watched all the content to date, make sure you cancel your subscription before November 1st. We’d be disappointed if you left, but understand if you’ve consumed all the content and are waiting for us to publish more in 2022.

Thank you Patrons.

Part of me wonders if the target demographic just isn’t tech savvy or ‘gets podcasts’. Which is a shame but a reality. If it was repurposed as a short series on say Sky Arts etc it would likely have got more attention.

8 hours ago, Dean said:

Hide contents

Thank you Patrons.

I’d say Marc has had the GNR lawyers in touch with a lot of threats. They’ve become a brand who doesn’t give a fuck about what they originally stranded for, now it’s just $$$

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Part of me wonders if the target demographic just isn’t tech savvy or ‘gets podcasts’. Which is a shame but a reality. If it was repurposed as a short series on say Sky Arts etc it would likely have got more attention.

Yeah, certainly possible, though there was an opportunity to have a considerable social media presence by sharing clips on YouTube, advertising individual episodes on the forum like Brando does with his podcasts along with doing the same on Reddit just to get the numbers boosted/raise awareness of what was happening and offer a look at what to expect once you had subscribed. The social media aspect is probably something I should have offered a helping hand with initially as I'd have loved to have seen them be able to bring the ideas they had for future seasons come to fruition on their own.

1 minute ago, megaguns1982 said:

I’d say Marc has had the GNR lawyers in touch with a lot of threats. They’ve become a brand who doesn’t give a fuck about what they originally stranded for, now it’s just $$$

Who knows, but I'd guess it's unlikely as there wasn't anything that was infringing on copyright, though certainly there may have been a few behind the scenes that may have been unhappy with what was happening, but IMO it's the sort of thing they should have embraced given that it's from a friend of the band and someone who witnessed everything take place first hand and luckily has these formative years documented through a camera lens!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dean said:

Hide contents

Thank you Patrons.

$50 sounds good, I'll join once that offer comes into effect, I keep forgetting about this.

• Like 1