Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

11 hours ago, action said:

the death rate for children is 0.2 %. Betting on covid19 not being lethal to your kid, seems puzzling to me.

It's like playing russian roulette with your kid, where the gun has 500 chambers and only one bullet. This gun goes off a few times a day, everytime your kid comes into contact with an infected. those are the chances you're playing with. And for what? Total lunacy.

From the Australian Health Minister

'Limited transmissiblity' to children – Australian health minister

The Australian health minister, Greg Hunt, is talking about the low rates of infections for children.

One of the very important reassurances for families is about on the evidence we have, limited transmissibility to children, which is very important for families and parents, and then the mild impact on those children on the evidence across the globe.

The chief health officer, Brendan Murphy adds to this:

I thank the evidence around the world is that when children are infected, they are incredibly mild, in fact so mild that they almost don’t have symptoms. The only child we have had in Australia infected feel that criteria. We are not entirely sure the extent to which they get the virus, but we do know that symptomatic significant disease is not a feature and we have been very little evidence of a significant problem in children, and that is quite different from flu where we often have some quite sick children. So that is a good positive message.

Also this

Edited by Dazey

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If there is one thing corona virus proves it is that there is no limits on practitioners of condescension, willing to hector the public on how stupid they are. 

I haven't seen any cases of the public being hectored about how stupid they are. But then again I am no sensitive snowflake who is perpetually insulted when people of skill and experience explains things to me.

the belgian government is the perfect example of how a society would look like, when it is run by scientists, on the basis of science.

"no proof = no action"

shockingly, this pandemy shows how utterly obsolete the scientific method is. because science is so much based on proof, it effectively hinders actions that would help fighting the virus, even in the absence of evidence.

the field of tension between the need for proof, and the limited knowledge we already have of the virus, means that science is not enough to take adequate action. You need to use common sense too; something which scientists have learned to oppress in their jobs.

measures like taken by the chinese, while very unscientific, have effectively managed to contain the epidemy. While countries in the west, where the "rule of science" is king, struggles to contain it.

science should stay at university and laboratoria. it has no place in politics. the scientific method is too narrow-minded to ensure our safety

Edited by action
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

We have to improve our defences against pandemics by closing down borders and transport immediately. China locked down cities. Britain's response: ''wash your hands whilst singing happy birthday''! When it was discovered North Italy was virulent, the border wasn't closed allowing people to pass forth into France and so forth.

Edited by DieselDaisy
Auto correct bollocks

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We have to improve our defences against pandemics by closing down borders and transport immediately. 

Spoken like a true isolationist! :lol:

Here's what we actually have to do to prepare ourselves for future pandemics: Strengthen our health care systems so we can respond more efficiently to new diseases by increasing our capacity and improving our response protocols, strengthen our R&D spending on molecular biology so we can more rapidly analyze new pathogens and develop new vaccines, and revise drug development regulations so we can quicker and at lower costs get new vaccines to the market.

2 hours ago, action said:

measures like taken by the chinese, while very unscientific, have effectively managed to contain the epidemy. While countries in the west, where the "rule of science" is king, struggles to contain it.

Yeah because the one thing we never associate China with is science and math. :lol: 

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If there is one thing corona virus proves it is that there is no limits on practitioners of condescension, willing to hector the public on how stupid they are. 

Masks are ineffective for the average man in the street and panic buying of them is causing a shortage so actual medical professionals who do need them can't get them. How is the US Surgeon General being condescending by pointing this out?

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Enlighten us, what is "unscientific" about quarantine when it comes to stopping a virus from spreading?

for one thing: wearing mouth masks and protection.

scientists (you included) and by extension the governments in the west, tell me that the chance of the virus being transmitted through air, is very small and would require someone directly coughing in your direction. 

it is obvious that most people in china are wearing mouth masks, and the government does not disencourage this.

so there you have it: a political decision to "let common people wear masks" as opposed to (your) scientific findings that mouth masks aren't needed.

in the west, the government specifically gives the message: "mouth masks are unnecessary".

whole towns are closed in china, again, against common scientific consensus. but, according to common sense: a good measure.

2 minutes ago, action said:

scientists (you included) and by extension the governments in the west, tell me that the chance of the virus being transmitted through air, is very small and would require someone directly coughing in your direction. 

it is obvious that most people in china are wearing mouth masks, and the government does not disencourage this.

so there you have it: a political decision to "let common people wear masks" as opposed to (your) scientific findings that mouth masks aren't needed.

in the west, the government specifically gives the message: "mouth masks are unnecessary".

whole towns are closed in china, again, against common scientific consensus. but, according to common sense: a good measure.

Can you point to any western government who are not "letting" their citizens wear mouth masks?

fucking hell, I'm having a cough that's worsening. I have basically locked myself up from last friday, only eating canned food, and still I have a cold. here's hoping it's not the corona virus.

Just now, Dazey said:

Can you point to any western government who are not "letting" their citizens wear mouth masks?

I can't.

I said: "disencourage". 

I now accept that young children seem to be generally unaffected by this virus. Words can not explain how a relief this is. But I remain cautious. the government are proven liars. But I have not seen evidence of the contrary, so that's that.

fucking hell, I'm having a cough that's worsening. I have basically locked myself up from last friday, only eating canned food, and still I have a cold. here's hoping it's not the corona virus.

It probably isn't and if it is at least you should be fully recovered and henceforth likely immune by Easter. :thumbsup: 

I can't.

I said: "disencourage". 

The reason for the statement I quoted was basically because people are panic buying these masks when they don't really need them. As a result there is a risk that healthcare workers who do need them will struggle to get them.  

12 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Masks are ineffective for the average man in the street and panic buying of them is causing a shortage so actual medical professionals who do need them can't get them. How is the US Surgeon General being condescending by pointing this out?

inadequate production causes shortage. inadequate production is a result of a political decision. not our fault, but the government's

Everyone should wear a mouth mask, it's common sense. that there is a shortage, is bewildering. what kind of monkeys do we have up there?

50 minutes ago, action said:

So you believe that wearing facemasks have stopped the epidemic in China? And this is your proof that common sense beats scientific understanding?

52 minutes ago, action said:

Scientists across the world agree that these type of viruses have limited ability to be transmitted through the air. So hence all rational governments across the world say the same thing. 

43 minutes ago, action said:

inadequate production causes shortage. inadequate production is a result of a political decision. not our fault, but the government's

Everyone should wear a mouth mask, it's common sense. that there is a shortage, is bewildering. what kind of monkeys do we have up there?

Shortage is as a result of unnecessary panic buying. There is no political involvement in the manufacturing process which I suspect is carried out by private companies as the state doesn't control the means of production. 

Top doctors are literally recommending that people don't wear these masks as used improperly they can actually increase the risk of infection.

Edited by Dazey

48 minutes ago, action said:

I now accept that young children seem to be generally unaffected by this virus. Words can not explain how a relief this is. But I remain cautious. the government are proven liars. 

Fascinating. Why do you think there is a chance your government would lie to you about how the fatality rate to children? Enlighten me as to what their motive could be for lying about such a serious thing. And keep in mind that all governments across the world, as well as the scientific communities would have to be in on this lie.

Everyone should wear a mouth mask, it's common sense.

No, everyone shouldn't wear face masks. Only people who handle sick people and thus where the probability of direct transmission is significant, should wear such masks. In fact, doctors are warning against the public wearing face masks because it can increase the probability of getting infected since you are more likely to touch your face if you wear a mask.

If you insist on wearing a face mask when you have no good reason to do so, you are at best an eccentric and at worse a moron.

belgium has 8 paid ministers of health, for a country as small as this.

but, a shortage on mouth masks.

mistakes were made.

Well, we can always blame parents for giving birth to morons but what's the point?

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Why are you even trying?
Let them be panicked, let them close themselves in caves (we all know it worked in history), let them stock masks, flour, pasta and canned food , let them exclude themselves and their children from society, let them believe their conspiracy theories, let them travel to the edge of the Earth... I just wonder will they believe those untrustworthy scientist when vaccine is discovered or they will protect themselves with masks :D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So you believe that wearing facemasks have stopped the epidemic in China? And this is your proof that common sense beats scientific understanding?

Scientists across the world agree that these type of viruses have limited ability to be transmitted through the air. So hence all rational governments across the world say the same thing. 

there is a qualitative difference between not wearing a mask (0) and wearing a mask (1). viruses will be trasmitted through air, more difficult than if you don't wear a mask. you agree with this too, otherwise you wouldn't advocate for health workers to wear a mask.

if everyone wore such a mask, infected as well as uninfected, this epidemy would spread more slowly, and it would be more manageable.

you don't need to be a scientist to understand this; it's not rocket science as they say. it's common sense. for some bizarre reason, scientists struggle with the concept of common sense.